3D Printing General Discussion (merged)

This feels like a bit of an indulgent use of the 3d printer....

PXL_20210401_204527773.thumb.jpg.ff7c937c4cd5caa97b4750b1476380d7.jpg

PXL_20210402_003213604.thumb.jpg.706bd558ed06c884fbd1d939bb908ace.jpg

It started as an idea to print something to hold tabbed minis by the tab and attach to my Hobby Holder. I came up with the screw on cap with a slot.  Squirt a little hot glue in there, it holds on nicely (better than blu-tac).  We'll see how hard they are to remove later, but I suspect at worst a few seconds of hairdryer should loosen them.  

Then I had to print a cap stand for priming them.

The cap stand for was a KS extra from Game Envy, the "Slotta-Caps" are my own design in tinkercad.

• Like 9
  • Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Far into the future, when our civilisation has ended and exists only as mere whispers of myths, Archaeologists will enter a forbitting cave and gingerly make their way into its depths.    There t

Always go with the Corgi!   Also I printed a thing! (6 sided die for scale )  

So, I was on the line with an EPAX rep the other day trying to determine if the X1-k would meet the print quality needs we are looking for to produce master copies (close but probably not quite).  Any

Posted Images

So looking for figs for oozes I came across these:

il_794xN.2424870466_i9sb.jpg

It's from a Etsy shop & while I'd love to support the shop, but of course, I have printers to do this myself. The shop said they are from Fat Dragon Games, but I've looked at both their shops on drivethru & their own site & I can't find these(this). Anyone know where these are located at?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, haldir said:

So looking for figs for oozes I came across these:

It's from a Etsy shop & while I'd love to support the shop, but of course, I have printers to do this myself. The shop said they are from Fat Dragon Games, but I've looked at both their shops on drivethru & their own site & I can't find these(this). Anyone know where these are located at?

It was part of their 2019 KS, in Expansion #3, along with the owlbear, cube of snot, mushroom men, and others.  I don't see it offered in any of the Dragonlock sets on their website, so I would suggest sending Fat Dragon an email and asking about it. 

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Inarah said:

It was part of their 2019 KS, in Expansion #3, along with the owlbear, cube of snot, mushroom men, and others.  I don't see it offered in any of the Dragonlock sets on their website, so I would suggest sending Fat Dragon an email and asking about it. 

Yah, I figured I'd ask first before sending a email on it. I got that KS so I was like what are these? I thought maybe a extra in a Dungeon walls set or something.

• Like 1
On 3/30/2021 at 11:35 PM, haldir said:

So I'm gonna change out my FEP, hopefully that'll solve the no print problem after changing out the LCD. Awhile back I got the wrong size screws when I replaced some wayward ones. Metric confuses me. The ones in the Anycubic are the following:

"M3*5

What is the length of these? I'm assuming it's the smallest length. Again, I thought I had the right ones before & the ones I got were a tad bit too long.

Too late to help now, but if someone wonders, M3x5 or 'M3*5' translates to 3mm diameter, 5mm length. 

Diameter is measured 'on top' of the threads, so it should fit snugly into a 3mm diameter smooth(not threaded) hole. 

If the screw only has a partially threaded stem, the non-threaded part will be the same diameter as the threaded part. 

Length is measured from the tip and up to the underside of the head. 

M3x5 is not to be confused with M3.5, though. 

(M3.5 is 3.mm diameter bolts. And no, it's not a very common size. )

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, Gadgetman! said:

Too late to help now, but if someone wonders, M3x5 or 'M3*5' translates to 3mm diameter, 5mm length. 

Diameter is measured 'on top' of the threads, so it should fit snugly into a 3mm diameter smooth(not threaded) hole. 

If the screw only has a partially threaded stem, the non-threaded part will be the same diameter as the threaded part. 

Length is measured from the tip and up to the underside of the head. 

M3x5 is not to be confused with M3.5, though. 

(M3.5 is 3.mm diameter bolts. And no, it's not a very common size. )

Thanks for the explanation.  Local places have metric sizes but some can be a bit confusing.

Anybody ever use Phrozen's resin wash? Curious as to what it actually is, since if I ordered it would be from their  site (ie international + long wait time). Seems like 4k resin from them is out in allot of common places, so I may need to order it from then directly.

At least I have a 10 dollar off code.

• Like 1

I looked at it when I made my last order from them but the handfull of reviews I saw at the time didn't make it seem worth it. To my knowledge it is a detergent concentrate that you cut with a small amount of water. On the plus side it would be nonflammable and is advertised as mostly harmless.  Cure the washed resin, filter, and dump the wastewater.

Phrozen ships FedEx International so the two orders I've had shipped from them arrived in under a week from the ship date. The downside is that it is fixed rate by weight so you may as well order a large amount of resin to offset the cost.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Auberon said:

I looked at it when I made my last order from them but the handfull of reviews I saw at the time didn't make it seem worth it. To my knowledge it is a detergent concentrate that you cut with a small amount of water. On the plus side it would be nonflammable and is advertised as mostly harmless.  Cure the washed resin, filter, and dump the wastewater.

Phrozen ships FedEx International so the two orders I've had shipped from them arrived in under a week from the ship date. The downside is that it is fixed rate by weight so you may as well order a large amount of resin to offset the cost.

Thanks for the insight. I'll probably just stick with what I got now. Thou, nice to see other alternatives.

Yah I saw on the BookeyFace page someone asked about shipping in regards to resin & they explained it somewhat there. All I know to get a Mini 4k at a decent price & basically a free bottle of resin, as they are having a promo,  you paid the same as Big River due to the high shipping cost. Obviously I went with Big River site.

I need to decide if I wanna try nFEP or stick with my current pre-drilled FEP site as I need back up FEP.

• Like 1

Even thou I got my printer last Sunday, I've waited for a Mach5ive gasket (kinda wanted this one to look a bit more professional looking this time, ^_^) but much to my surprise, I went to install it today (got it in the mail) & there is a gasket already on the printer!! So I have 3 6 inch LCD gaskets. If anyone wants to try em out, send me a PM & we'll work out details.

I decided to go back to my Elegoo grey resin for my first print, Great Grimoire's Little Girl cupboards. This is a encounter in my Saturday game that I needed last Saturday + 2 cupboards is only 2 1/2 hrs long. If it's successful, I'll deal with clean up tomorrow when I get home from work.

I see Phrozen Aqua-grey 4k is available on big A on the 19th. I think I'll place a order for it tomorrow!

• Like 1

Well it appeared I have prints! I only glanced at the printer but there was 2 cupboards. Well see how they came out when I get home.

• Like 1

Well a few things I've noticed so far

Pros:

excellent prints even with default setting & using Elegoo grey resin

fast, so far the 3 prints I've done, have all been under 4 hrs. The cupboard with the arms look 3.5 hours.

Leveling is so easy! No messing with pulling paper to see if the plate is snug or not. Just lower it with a paper in place & let it do it's thing.

Entire printer is extremely lightweight. Allot less then the Photon S (which of course wasn't too heavy of course).

Screen appears to be cleaner then the Anycubic one. Might be due to newer tech, but just looks better to me.

USB thumb drive is a Sandisk 8gb stick. I can handle that!

Cons:

Power cord, too short! I was able to connect it from my original spot thou, but it's tight vs the Anycubic, which had a extra long cord.

Power button, it's on the back & on the other side of the power cord. I prefer it on the side like the Photon S was,

USB slot is on the side, just on the left side. I prefer it over on the right as that is my open side

Lid/cover: While I'm still getting use to take this part off & on vs the door, I wish Phrozen would have either put a indicator which side is front or just made the cover symmetrical all around. I need to get a sticker or something cause I'm 50/50 on not putting it on right the first time.

Overall thou, I'm happy with my purchase & I'm looking forward to printing things for my games now. After today, I've got a bunch of gnolls to print out. Oddly, there is not a single gnoll in Reaper's lineup that is barehanded, even if you chop the weapon off. Also 90% of them are wielding shields if they there are using a single handed weapon?? Variety people!!!

• Like 3

I just had a print NOT fail, but I would REALLY have deserved it if it had.

Finished one print and started the next without seeing how much resin was in the vat.

When it was done all that was left was a thin puddle that covered less than half of the bottom of the vat. Right under the last bit that printed. Pure blind luck that it was JUST enough.

Printing the next part of the model now, with the last drop left in the bottle. Should be just enough, but not enough for the base. More resin tomorrow via a Sunday Amazon delivery.

An I Love You present for Grump, printed it and painting it because it looked like fun, and sooner or later Grump WILL use it.

And maybe to hint that I wouldn't mind another pirate game. ::P:

Up to a gallon and a quarter of resin used, as I poured that last drop in. Five liters, really, but close enough.

• Like 3
On 4/10/2021 at 11:27 AM, haldir said:

Well a few things I've noticed so far

Pros:

excellent prints even with default setting & using Elegoo grey resin

fast, so far the 3 prints I've done, have all been under 4 hrs. The cupboard with the arms look 3.5 hours.

Leveling is so easy! No messing with pulling paper to see if the plate is snug or not. Just lower it with a paper in place & let it do it's thing.

Entire printer is extremely lightweight. Allot less then the Photon S (which of course wasn't too heavy of course).

Screen appears to be cleaner then the Anycubic one. Might be due to newer tech, but just looks better to me.

USB thumb drive is a Sandisk 8gb stick. I can handle that!

Cons:

Power cord, too short! I was able to connect it from my original spot thou, but it's tight vs the Anycubic, which had a extra long cord.

Power button, it's on the back & on the other side of the power cord. I prefer it on the side like the Photon S was,

USB slot is on the side, just on the left side. I prefer it over on the right as that is my open side

Lid/cover: While I'm still getting use to take this part off & on vs the door, I wish Phrozen would have either put a indicator which side is front or just made the cover symmetrical all around. I need to get a sticker or something cause I'm 50/50 on not putting it on right the first time.

Overall thou, I'm happy with my purchase & I'm looking forward to printing things for my games now. After today, I've got a bunch of gnolls to print out. Oddly, there is not a single gnoll in Reaper's lineup that is barehanded, even if you chop the weapon off. Also 90% of them are wielding shields if they there are using a single handed weapon?? Variety people!!!

What printer did you get; I missed it somewhere.

• Like 1