3D Printing General Discussion (merged)

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Always go with the Corgi!   Also I printed a thing! (6 sided die for scale )  

Far into the future, when our civilisation has ended and exists only as mere whispers of myths, Archaeologists will enter a forbitting cave and gingerly make their way into its depths.    There t

So, I was on the line with an EPAX rep the other day trying to determine if the X1-k would meet the print quality needs we are looking for to produce master copies (close but probably not quite).  Any

Posted Images

When I printed out a couple of dogs, one of the tail supports failed so I was left with a perfect print with a flat tail shaped piece of resin. I was going to print em again, but figured eh, make a dog that doesn't have a tail. Plus, it helps ID them when using the battle map.

• Like 2

Well a partial failure awaits me when I get home this morning. Checked on a 2 piece print & the weapon appears to have printed but the actual mini didn't.

Hopefully, I won't damage the fep as I don't have any spares. Something I should have remedied by now.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

I have no idea why it slurped to the side like that.

All the supports are still there.

The only thing I can think of,

Did somebody bump into the printer/ was something going on that cause vibrations that could affect the printer?

Like a heavy truck or machinery working outside your building or maybe a washing machine that bumps on the floor and sends vibrations through the building?

17 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

The only thing I can think of,

Did somebody bump into the printer/ was something going on that cause vibrations that could affect the printer?

Like a heavy truck or machinery working outside your building or maybe a washing machine that bumps on the floor and sends vibrations through the building?

None of the above.

I can use its twistiness, but I don't know of any reason for the collapse, it hangs DOWN from the build plate.

One side is short, the long side is the size it's supposed to be.

• Like 1

I got home this morning from work & after I took a nap, I looked at what had printed & it was the flail weapon of a gnoll. The body part didn't print at all & was a just a support base on the bottom of the vat. I cleaned the plate in the WnC & removed the weapon. I'm just now remembering I did that. Eh, oh well I guess I'll just print it out again.

I cleaned up the bad print off the vat & poured the Elegoo resin back into the vat. I'm getting low on it but I still can print off a bunch of human sized minis with it. I decided to print a file I did my own supports for. I was kinda worried about this one due to the failure but the plate was raising up as I coming to bed, & it appears the print was a success. The print was Gloomy Kid's male Blight druid. He is wearing a elk skull mask with horns, so it was that part that worried me. I guess tomorrow I'll re-slice the flail gnoll & see what happens.

I hear Epax FEP is good for the Mini 4k, also thinking about nFep as well. Any suggestions?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

None of the above.

I can use its twistiness, but I don't know of any reason for the collapse, it hangs DOWN from the build plate.

One side is short, the long side is the size it's supposed to be.

It could be that the resin wasn't shaken enough, so the two sides had different properties.

The Auld Grump

• Like 1

Just finished a print of the Epic catoblepas - a critter I haven't used since first edition AD&D.

Then I looked up the Pathfinder stats...

Holy crap! That thing is lethal!

They replaced the death gaze with a 60 cone of poison breath.... 1D6 Con on a failed save, for six rounds - and needing 3 consecutive saves to end the effect early.

And it is now a 12 CR - I think it was something like 8th level, in AD&D. And even at 12th, it is quite likely to leave some dead PCs unless the cleric prepared a lot of anti poison spells.

So, a second season critter - with an early scene - the PCs fighting swamp zombies in a dense fog, and then something starts snatching up the zeds and devouring them. A shift in the breeze brings a worse stench than bloated swamp zombies....

The catoblepas is an omnivore - but prefers its meat ripe.

The zeds pay no attention to the catoblepas, even as it eats them, while the catoblepas is currently paying no attention to the PCs. Currently.

This is a cue that the PCs should run like scared bunnies, even if it gives the zeds a free attack.

The Auld Grump

• Like 3

Of all the reasons I like SLA printers more than FDM, how easy it is to remove supports is near the top.

I dropped a fresh mini on the floor todau, and it literally popped oit of the supports when it hit the floor. ::):

• Haha 3

So I had anther failure the other day, this time I had print going but then it felt like it was too long in printing, so I checked & looking at the lcd screen I noticed it was only half-way through the print. I knew this wasn't right due to the time it has been going & it was a simple human sized mini, or in this case a gnoll. So I paused the print & lifted the plate & there was nothing. After cleaning the vat again, I noticed the plate isn't level. I never experienced the plate coming out of level with my Photon S, is this a common issue with the Mini 4k? I'm curious due to the 4 screws vs the 1 screw.

I'm gonna re-level tomorrow & hopefully print off my Weds minis (custom Heroforge gnome artificer & his faithful steel defender, a squirrel I got off MMF). I may have to order that FEP sheet sooner then I think if I keep getting failures, as this is my 2nd in about 5 prints, where I didn't have any prior to my first one.

• Like 2

Ok, vat has been cleaned (again) & the plate has been re-leveled. Hopefully nothing but great prints from now on. This clean the vat, pop the support base off it, is getting old. While cleaning, I noticed the resin was a little thick + there was a skirt/film? on the edge between the fep & vat, so I decided to just pour the resin (Elegoo) back into the bottle & then I used that to dispose my IPA as well. I hate wasting resin, but in this case, it's probably for the best. I can now move on to the Aqua-Grey 4k resin I got. Hoping, this turns out. Again, I'm just going to use the default Chitubox setting for it, for now.

I've also re-sliced a few stls that had done up with the Elegoo (generic) settings & one of those was that gnoll that was only suppose to be less then 3 hrs & according to the lcd screen was in the middle of a 8 hr print (the one I paused & nothing was on the plate). Hopefully, this one works as the stl is one I really need (weaponless gnoll in a fighting position (ie claws out).). First up thou, is my Weds night DD AL character, Chubba Hubbard (rock gnome artificer) & his steel defender companion (Dookie, the clockwork squirrel). Since I can't find a clockwork squirrel, I'm gonna give this one a chrome spray paint finish. :poke:

Chubba Hubbard screenshot.png

720X720-squirrel.jpg

Odd, sliced-saved a gnoll boss file & it's nowhere to be found in my Sliced folder....ok then.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

@haldir  I need to sculpt you a flying squirrel

That would be nutz!!! :lol:

Well the squirrel companion, printed up perfect, other then the bottom of his tail has a flat spot (I raised it up, but I guess not enough), but a bit of sanding & carving & it'll be fine. The gnome is more then halfway through the bar.

• Like 2