3D Printing General Discussion (merged)

18 hours ago, haldir said:

After cleaning the vat again, I noticed the plate isn't level. I never experienced the plate coming out of level with my Photon S, is this a common issue with the Mini 4k? I'm curious due to the 4 screws vs the 1 screw.

I have not had an issue with leveling.

• Like 3
  • Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Far into the future, when our civilisation has ended and exists only as mere whispers of myths, Archaeologists will enter a forbitting cave and gingerly make their way into its depths.    There t

Always go with the Corgi!   Also I printed a thing! (6 sided die for scale )  

Bah, you just need to print the right size miniatures with FDM.....

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Auberon said:

I have not had an issue with leveling.

Hmmm maybe I didn't tighten the screws enough. It seems pretty level now. About the only time I ever re-leveled with the S was when I changed out FEP sheets.

Well the gnome printed, but he is tiny size.....sigh. Small minis always get me. I sliced up a couple of sizes that I'll try tomorrow before the game. Hopefully one of them is good enough for the game.

Anyone know a good size to put small Heroforge races minis at?

• Like 2

Grrrr, now this is just getting annoying. I came home this morning from work, removed the previous print (the goat fiend) & did the usual for it, came out perfect!! I needed my gnome for tonight's game so I did the the alternate size file & started it. I was hoping to wake up early, just in case I had time to do the other file. I came downstairs just now & noticed BLANK PLATE again..............sigh.

At least I have my tiny figure for tonight.....:rolleyes:

• Like 2

Finally got around to watching @TaleSpinner's RVE video, but I forgot to take notes to comment.  It did remind me that I still had resin sitting in my vat.  ::D:

FYI, Phrozen sent out a promotion that they are now selling nFEPs, but since I don't have one I can't compare with Epax.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
39 minutes ago, Auberon said:

FYI, Phrozen sent out a promotion that they are now selling nFEPs, but since I don't have one I can't compare with Epax.

I think I'll be ordering nFEP when I do order FEP. Epax brand is out till mid May on big A. Hopefully I can keep printing on the existing one. Way to many fails right now. I had nothing but success till a few prints ago. Now it's print-fail-print-fail...sigh. Heck I'd order the Phrozen brand, but their shipping it outrageous! Travel time would probably be the same as the big A order due to the out of stock. (49.99 shipping cost, directly from Phrozen....yikes!! :blink:)

Ok, I did get a success today of anther Goat Fiend. I knew that one was a good print as it printed correctly before, minus a warped base (who knows with that one) but when I took the plate off to clean it & the mini, I noticed a film over the supports. Not on the mini itself, just the supports. It came off when I was removing the supports but I also noticed while stirring my resin. There was a good chunk of film on one side of the vat. Anyone have any idea why this occurred? First time I've gotten "film" printing.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, haldir said:

I think I'll be ordering nFEP when I do order FEP. Epax brand is out till mid May on big A. Hopefully I can keep printing on the existing one. Way to many fails right now. I had nothing but success till a few prints ago. Now it's print-fail-print-fail...sigh. Heck I'd order the Phrozen brand, but their shipping it outrageous! Travel time would probably be the same as the big A order due to the out of stock. (49.99 shipping cost, directly from Phrozen....yikes!! :blink:)

Ok, I did get a success today of anther Goat Fiend. I knew that one was a good print as it printed correctly before, minus a warped base (who knows with that one) but when I took the plate off to clean it & the mini, I noticed a film over the supports. Not on the mini itself, just the supports. It came off when I was removing the supports but I also noticed while stirring my resin. There was a good chunk of film on one side of the vat. Anyone have any idea why this occurred? First time I've gotten "film" printing.

Seriously, change the FEP to an nFEP on the SM4K.  I had the same issue.  As soon as the crap FEP that comes with the SM4K gets broken in, it starts causing failures.  I changed to the Epax nFEP and have had very few failures since.

Oh, and changing FEPs on the SM4K is MUCH easier than on a Photon S.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, haldir said:

Anyone have any idea why this occurred? First time I've gotten "film" printing.

so, a non-exhaustive list of things I've seen that can cause that include non-manifold meshes, slicing errors not related to the model, corruption of the sliced file, read errors on a failing USB stick, usb Stick not firmly inserted into the machine, cable from usb slot to motherboard wiggled loose, screen cable wiggled loose.  Essentially, what's happening is areas of the screen that weren't part of the print flickered clear for a second during the print, causing a thin film of cured resin to form that may not immediately stick to the model, it may hang out in the vat until snagged by a later layer.

• Like 3

Well anther failure after a successful (yet scaled wrong mini, I don't know what's worst...) print. Epax nFep film is available on big river on the 10th thru the 14th of this month. I think I'm gonna wait till then to fire the printer back up. Getting tired of pouring out the resin & popping off that damn failed one.

• Like 2
On 3/27/2021 at 1:32 AM, Zink said:

Well bleep. I've been trying to get some faster settigns working to print dollhouse furniture for the wife and daughter. Doing some kitchen chairs and had bad luck and incredibly weak prints for the legs. Did a bunch of things trying to get it printing better including these. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LjbCIGCmd0 Got it printing pretty nice on my small test pieces so decided to do the chair legs before bed. I checked them a couple times and it was turning out good. Then when it was about 60% done I noticed it was using an older temp setting. Way too hot. So I manually dropped the temp 10 degrees to what my tests said was best. Came back after it was finished and it was total crap after I "fixed" the temperature. Not a huge deal and another lesson of "if it's working don't try to fix it". I'll try to print it again in the morning leaving it at high temperature.

I know this is old news but on fragile parts I have discovered that orientation is important and the most obvious orientation is usually the wrong one.  If you print a chair (or a gun) on the z axis the little circles that make up the barrel so not have nearly the same strength as the same lengths printed on the x or y axis (lying down as it were).    It gives a much stronger print.

• Like 3

I haven't printed much the last month but am trying to get going again. I'm stocked up with several new filaments but have been piddling around trying to use up the last bit of my old roll. It's been a bit inconsistent for results but mostly decent if maybe not as nice as could have been. I've learned a fair bit about proper orientation but sometimes still go with vertical poles even though horizontal is stronger. Printing smaller scifi bits to use in Staargrave for now.

• Like 2

I was planning on printing the AG ashen altar, only to find that Grump had already started it, and it was 2/3 printed, with the last(?) plate in the printer.

Which means he's printing the Drow Empress for the cops game. :blink:

We're BORKED! :lol:

He printed the Queen in a bikini.

720X720-altar-slaves2-supports.jpg

I'm going to print the version where she left her top at home. ::P:

Edited by PaganMegan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
23 hours ago, haldir said:

Well anther failure after a successful (yet scaled wrong mini, I don't know what's worst...) print. Epax nFep film is available on big river on the 10th thru the 14th of this month. I think I'm gonna wait till then to fire the printer back up. Getting tired of pouring out the resin & popping off that damn failed one.

While I did have few failed prints with the Phrozen FEP, especially early on while I was trying new things, my main issue was with the occasional line that would go across everything printing.  They would have still been OK for tabletop paint jobs.  If you are having more frequent issues it makes me wonder if something else is going on. What settings are you using?

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Auberon said:

While I did have few failed prints with the Phrozen FEP, especially early on while I was trying new things, my main issue was with the occasional line that would go across everything printing.  They would have still been OK for tabletop paint jobs.  If you are having more frequent issues it makes me wonder if something else is going on. What settings are you using?

Default settings in Chitubox for Aqua-grey 4k.

I was having great prints when I started but the last few prints have been hit & miss, so who knows.

I did get a Big A update, sounds like nfep sheets will be in stock sooner.  May 6th or so.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, haldir said:

Default settings in Chitubox for Aqua-grey 4k.

I was having great prints when I started but the last few prints have been hit & miss, so who knows.

I did get a Big A update, sounds like nfep sheets will be in stock sooner.  May 6th or so.

As I remember the default settings are a bit much in some places and not enough in others.  You'll have room for improvement with your new nFEP. ::D:

• Like 3

Sweet got a notification from Big A, that my Epax nFeb sheets are on their way. I should have them Thursday or so.

• Like 1