3D Printing General Discussion (merged)

On 5/4/2021 at 3:05 PM, haldir said:

Sweet got a notification from Big A, that my Epax nFeb sheets are on their way. I should have them Thursday or so.

Showed up today & I've watched a replacement video, so I'll doing the change-over tomorrow. The change-out is so much easier. Instead of 2 sets of screws & metal rings, you just deal with 1. I can handle that.

• Like 1
  • Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Far into the future, when our civilisation has ended and exists only as mere whispers of myths, Archaeologists will enter a forbitting cave and gingerly make their way into its depths.    There t

Always go with the Corgi!   Also I printed a thing! (6 sided die for scale )  

So, I was on the line with an EPAX rep the other day trying to determine if the X1-k would meet the print quality needs we are looking for to produce master copies (close but probably not quite).  Any

Posted Images

Well did a print yesterday. It was finishing as I was headed to bed. Took a peak with my phone light & it appears I have a mini. Its my Heroforge gnome that I resized a 2nd time. This was a file that failed on me before the change-up.

Hoping I got the size right.

• Like 2

Anyone ever print out any Antimatter Games stls? Curious as Darksword now carries these & they've got a file I'd like to try out. It's only 3.99, so no worries if the file is crap.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, haldir said:

Anyone ever print out any Antimatter Games stls? Curious as Darksword now carries these & they've got a file I'd like to try out. It's only 3.99, so no worries if the file is crap.

If the file is crap, let me know and I will personally fix it.  I am Dark Sword's in-house sculptor/printer and if there are any quality issues we would love to know so we can make the files perfect.  If it is a particular file you are curious about, let me know what it is and I'll throw it on my printer and let you know how it goes (I'll be printing all of them eventually anyway).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
11 hours ago, haldir said:

I printed Neptune's Curse, a great huge pirate ship, about a year ago.  Files were excellent I thought.

2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

If the file is crap, let me know and I will personally fix it.  I am Dark Sword's in-house sculptor/printer and if there are any quality issues we would love to know so we can make the files perfect.  If it is a particular file you are curious about, let me know what it is and I'll throw it on my printer and let you know how it goes (I'll be printing all of them eventually anyway).

Very cool, is this a new thing or just something I missed?  (I'm not surprised if it's the later, I miss lots :wacko:).

My new Sovol SV03 just arrived.  I need to put a bigger top on my desk that holds my FDM printers now.....

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Very cool, is this a new thing or just something I missed?  (I'm not surprised if it's the later, I miss lots :wacko:).

If you are asking about the DS STLs, that is a new thing.  Dark Sword bought the Antimatter Games miniatures last Fall.  Jim just released them on his website for sale this past week.

If you are asking about me working with DS, well I've been their in-house sculptor for a few years now, doing fixes and stuff (Jim and I live in the same area). We haven't really gone out of our way to advertise that around though; it just kind of happened gradually.  I started printing 3D files for them about a year and a half ago, so I handle all of that.  I have yet to dive into the AM STLs though, as there are so many of them and I am scrambling to get Critter Kingdom new sculpts printed and my own figure sculpting for them done. 

• Like 8

So EPAX is going to be releasing a 5.5" 4k mono screen printer (or has it for pre-order anyway). I watched at least one review of it from 3DPrintingPro and it looks nice. It's significantly more expensive than the Sonic 4k Mini, but has better build quality. Depending on where things are at in a few months I may pick one up.

• Like 2

Yeah, but did you watch his review of the EPAX X156?  It weighed more than his wife!  That's a nice size printer.

Their little printer looks nice but given I already a Sonic Mini 4k $659 is money I'll spend on something else.

• Like 3
11 hours ago, Illithar said:

So EPAX is going to be releasing a 5.5" 4k mono screen printer (or has it for pre-order anyway). I watched at least one review of it from 3DPrintingPro and it looks nice. It's significantly more expensive than the Sonic 4k Mini, but has better build quality. Depending on where things are at in a few months I may pick one up.

That is the machine I wanted to get, but EPAX kept putting it off and we couldn't wait anymore.  It was originally supposed to come out last November.  We ended up going with the SM4K because DS simply couldn't wait anymore, having a huge backlog of digital sculpts to print.

We figure that we'll use this one until it wears out, then get an EPAX then.  EPAX machines are definitely worth the extra money, all printing specs equal, as they use better materials and engineering tolerances than the others.

• Like 3

I'm slowly losing my will save vs. buying a 3d printer. Have any of you used any of the plant based resins for printing? How do they hold up? Do you have any compatibility issues across brands?

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, Loim said:

I'm slowly losing my will save vs. buying a 3d printer. Have any of you used any of the plant based resins for printing? How do they hold up? Do you have any compatibility issues across brands?

I've used AnyCubic's Eco line.  It printed well.  They are a bit oddly pastel, but do the job.  I couldn't notice any real difference in the quality of print vs the standard resin.  They wouldn't work for casting, but for normal game play, if you are willing to pay the extra for them, they are fine.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Anyone else see this?
image.thumb.png.accc21e70b1690b9b9fd7fad58651f2f.png

(image stolen from fb)

So yeah, I might end up just skipping the whole 4K generation at this rate.....

I'm stil happy with my basic Elegoo Mars, by the time it fails me completely, I will probably go for an 8K then!

• Like 1

We're getting to the point were the differences in detail will probably not be visible to the naked eye and any amount of paint layers will probably obscure details that small. A Saturn sized printer with almost 1 million pixels per square inch would be pretty awesome though.

• Like 2

Actually, 8K doesn't improve the quality, it increases the size of the print at a particular quality level.  So the SM4K at 0.035mm XY resolution and a 5.5" bed will become the SM8K with a ~10" bed but the same 0.035mm resolution.

• Like 5