Jump to content

3D Printing General Discussion (merged)


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

With a 15" screen it is not going to have the resolution of the SM4K, but that of the Mega 4K.

yeah, this is an insane size for the price, but if it's 8k at 15" it will be comparable resolution to the 2k photon and mars.  Just allowing MUCH larger prints.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

update:

Just double checked, they're reporting a pixel size of 43um in the video, which is better than original photon at 47um and even better than the Sonic Mighty at 52um, but not as good as the mini 4k or mars 2 pro, both at 35um 

Edited by Cygnwulf
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderator
28 minutes ago, Cygnwulf said:

update:

Just double checked, they're reporting a pixel size of 43um in the video, which is better than original photon at 47um and even better than the Sonic Mighty at 52um, but not as good as the mini 4k or mars 2 pro, both at 35um 

 

That is about what I expected.  To get the 35um, it would have had to be about 10".  I really don't understand why they didn't do that.  I'd already be placing an order if they did.  I mean, do we really need a 15" bed resin printer?  I guess, but anything big enough to need that is going to need hollowing and drainage holes, which bring a bunch of other issues to the table.  I guess you can print a whole army at once.

 

Maybe they just wanted to have the largest resin printer on the home market?

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Maybe they just wanted to have the largest resin printer on the home market?

This is probably it.   Not to mention the size your wash tank is going to have to be.  

I mean, at that size you'll be able to print some truly massive, awesome prints, but we're into territory where the properties of the resin are going to start mattering for the structural integrity of the prints too.  Diagonal on the MK3s and it's clones is only about 13" so we're exceeding the size of the FDM printers a lot of people use.   There's going to be a market for it.  Printing large center pieces or life size prop replicas without having to deal with the surface quality of FDM will most certainly find this place a home, 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderator
7 minutes ago, Cygnwulf said:

This is probably it.   Not to mention the size your wash tank is going to have to be.  

I mean, at that size you'll be able to print some truly massive, awesome prints, but we're into territory where the properties of the resin are going to start mattering for the structural integrity of the prints too.  Diagonal on the MK3s and it's clones is only about 13" so we're exceeding the size of the FDM printers a lot of people use.   There's going to be a market for it.  Printing large center pieces or life size prop replicas without having to deal with the surface quality of FDM will most certainly find this place a home, 

 

Agreed, I just don't want to be the one who has to figure out how to keep such large prints from cracking and distorting as they age.

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

 

That is about what I expected.  To get the 35um, it would have had to be about 10".  I really don't understand why they didn't do that.  I'd already be placing an order if they did.  I mean, do we really need a 15" bed resin printer?  I guess, but anything big enough to need that is going to need hollowing and drainage holes, which bring a bunch of other issues to the table.  I guess you can print a whole army at once.

 

Maybe they just wanted to have the largest resin printer on the home market?

 

 

Terrain.

 

There are people that want resin printers for terrain.

 

This is better resolution than an FDM printer, and big enough to handle terrain. And way WAY faster.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Huh... And now the news about the Anycubic Photon Ultra, another entry in their lineup that uses, of all things, DLP???

they're claiming it's much more efficient using the UV light, boasting something liket LCD screens till only transmit up to 5% of the light while DLP will use more like 95%.  Seems a bit extreme and I have no idea what kind of resolution they'll be able to get with DLP, but it seems more info coming soon...

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Day after tomorrow, preorders open for the Sonic Mega 8K....

 

https://youtu.be/RTRyLaB7bxw

 

50 for $1000, 100 for $1100,  150 for $1200, 200 for $1300, 250 for $1400. Each a month later on delivery.

 

List price, just a bit under $1900.

 

A 15" screen.

 

We might be able to squeeze the $1000 version, but with only fifty - it ain't gonna happen.

 

Time to start saving....

 

The Auld Grump... or crying....

 

The great news is who knows what the market is going to look like in six months eh?16K on a printer that size? Something else?

Slicers need to catch up to the hardware.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

 

That is about what I expected.  To get the 35um, it would have had to be about 10".  I really don't understand why they didn't do that.  I'd already be placing an order if they did.  I mean, do we really need a 15" bed resin printer?  I guess, but anything big enough to need that is going to need hollowing and drainage holes, which bring a bunch of other issues to the table.  I guess you can print a whole army at once.

 

Maybe they just wanted to have the largest resin printer on the home market?

 

 

 

If I wanted to print a whole army on my Photon, I'd just go UP... Add a 'floor' above the first set, with more minis on the next level also. And again... and possibly again...   

 

I wonder how much power it draws... 

A typical 2K(Photon) draws 50W, 4K with the same resolution(bigger build plate) may draw as much as 150W, this one?    

 

This is somewhat important to those of us who has the printer connected to an UPS. 

Or just have a lot of stuff on the same breaker... 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

So I cleaned my vat today as I didn't have a print on Tuesday & wondered why it failed so soon after installing the nFep sheet. Wow, what a mess I had to deal with! The plate was easy as all I did was toss it into the wash N cure, that vat thou had multiple films I had to wisk off. Eventually I just drained my resin back into the bottle & cleaned it from there. Where my resin was, there was a film & hard resin line. I usually keep my resin in the vat but, I'm not sure with the mini 4k now. This is the first time I've gotten the ring around the vat & tbh, I don't want to experience it again. I wasn't able to get all of it, but most of it. Heck, at one point I felt like I was going to need a new vat, that's how overall, bad this was.

 

Combination of 95% DA & some garage cleaner spray, I was able to get it cleaned, but dang. The film in the resin I think bothered me more as there was a ton of it this time. I've never had this film with my Photon S. I'm wondering if the solid cover & door vs lift off hood has anything to do with that. It also might be the Aqua-grey resin (which to be honest, I'm not all that fond of. When it runs out, I'll probably switch back to Elegoo or even Anycubic grey as I'm seeing about the same results & no film!!) I also have to admit, I miss the channel in the Anycubic vat vs nothing in the mini 4k one. Something so simple.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Print was a success! Also no film/skim on my resin either.

 

My print was Twin Goddess evil siren. She will be a NPC (possible adversary as a banshee) for this Saturday. Since I don't need anything for Saturday now, I'm gonna try a more then 2 pieces print. Columns with a braziers on top. These will be part of Skittershot, the Skittermander adventure for ReaperCon this year!!

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, haldir said:

So I cleaned my vat today as I didn't have a print on Tuesday & wondered why it failed so soon after installing the nFep sheet. Wow, what a mess I had to deal with! The plate was easy as all I did was toss it into the wash N cure, that vat thou had multiple films I had to wisk off. Eventually I just drained my resin back into the bottle & cleaned it from there. Where my resin was, there was a film & hard resin line. I usually keep my resin in the vat but, I'm not sure with the mini 4k now. This is the first time I've gotten the ring around the vat & tbh, I don't want to experience it again. I wasn't able to get all of it, but most of it. Heck, at one point I felt like I was going to need a new vat, that's how overall, bad this was.

 

Combination of 95% DA & some garage cleaner spray, I was able to get it cleaned, but dang. The film in the resin I think bothered me more as there was a ton of it this time. I've never had this film with my Photon S. I'm wondering if the solid cover & door vs lift off hood has anything to do with that. It also might be the Aqua-grey resin (which to be honest, I'm not all that fond of. When it runs out, I'll probably switch back to Elegoo or even Anycubic grey as I'm seeing about the same results & no film!!) I also have to admit, I miss the channel in the Anycubic vat vs nothing in the mini 4k one. Something so simple.

 

You manage to have more problems in a single day than I've ever had with my printer.  I don't leave my aqua grey resin in my vat for more than a couple of days.  Resin should be slightly volatile and slowly evaporate. That would increase the viscosity of what is left but I wouldn't expect it to cure the resin.  My printer doesn't ever get hit by direct sunlight, so I can't really say how effective the cover is.  You could always put a thin layer of resin in a clear plastic cup and see if you can reproduce the film.  Either uncovered and in total darkness or sitting underneath the 4k cover.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a failure today and needed to clean my tank, but noticed the tape around my LDC is starting to warp. Because of that I was not able to properly level the build plate. What kind of tape do I need to replace that?  I assume something heat resistant?

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Humansquish said:

Had a failure today and needed to clean my tank, but noticed the tape around my LDC is starting to warp. Because of that I was not able to properly level the build plate. What kind of tape do I need to replace that?  I assume something heat resistant?

 

Allot of people use Kapton tape. I think Phrozen uses some sorta electric tape on their printers. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...