3D Printing General Discussion (merged)

On 5/26/2021 at 5:45 AM, Cygnwulf said:

This is probably it.   Not to mention the size your wash tank is going to have to be.  

I mean, at that size you'll be able to print some truly massive, awesome prints, but we're into territory where the properties of the resin are going to start mattering for the structural integrity of the prints too.  Diagonal on the MK3s and it's clones is only about 13" so we're exceeding the size of the FDM printers a lot of people use.   There's going to be a market for it.  Printing large center pieces or life size prop replicas without having to deal with the surface quality of FDM will most certainly find this place a home, 

I'm also kind of wondering about how the FEP starts to behave. I remember seeing some things about adjusting the lift height on a Saturn due to the FEP being a bit more flexible in the middle. This is absurdly bigger, I wonder how larger prints will behave. I feel like the inside of hollow prints will be almost be honeycombed with supports. And you're gonna need a bucket full of your Solvent of ChoiceTM just to clean them.

Edited by Illithar
  • Like 3
  • Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I imagine that placing an item flat on the FEP or even with supports placed evenly along the bottom will cause failures. 

Most likely, you'd have to consider which way the FEP stretches, and make certain the supports follows a line where the FEP is being sstretched evenly, to avoid costly mistakes. 

• Like 2

Resin pillars with very little deco & on top, a small brazier of fire. The fire is pretty much vertical. Tilt & support or just raise add some large supports & print as is.

• Like 1

speaking of supports, I'm stuck...  

I got Bella Nacht's "the Fallen" from her patreon, but orienting it for support is driving me insane.
It's in two parts and I think I need to figure out how to make it more.  
First the Viking himself
image.thumb.png.dd3836edbd999a38cd7e33533465603a.png

Whatever side is facing the build plate tends to have less crisp details for me. Because of this, I usually orient figures leaning slightly backward, but that won't work here since his back is actually out and you see it more than his front, but I really want to do this face justice.  I think I might be able to get away with leaving him oriented like this, but supporting those arrows is going to be.. well... not fun.

Second is the valkyrie herself, 

image.thumb.png.2172d8fa8fe764cc36ad820903e36301.png

Again, The backs of the wings will be out and highly visible, but the face is very important to the piece.

Open to suggestions on how to best tackle this one if anyone has any ideas.  I may have to break down and learn how to use mesh-mixer to cut and key models into parts, but when i've tried in the past it didn't go great...

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, JoeGKushner said:

Anyone think that MMF will start doing their own subscription service? There's little point in being the delivery system if they can also be the subscription system.

They do both.

You can subscribe and get discounts.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

They do both.

You can subscribe and get discounts.

Oh I didn't just mean TO MMF but them doing subs for companies instead of just being the delivery system for the subs. Like why have company X use Patreon at all when they could sell directly through MMF?

• Like 2
36 minutes ago, JoeGKushner said:

Oh I didn't just mean TO MMF but them doing subs for companies instead of just being the delivery system for the subs. Like why have company X use Patreon at all when they could sell directly through MMF?

Ah, I misunderstood.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Cygnwulf said:

speaking of supports, I'm stuck...  

I got Bella Nacht's "the Fallen" from her patreon, but orienting it for support is driving me insane.
It's in two parts and I think I need to figure out how to make it more.  
First the Viking himself
image.thumb.png.dd3836edbd999a38cd7e33533465603a.png

Whatever side is facing the build plate tends to have less crisp details for me. Because of this, I usually orient figures leaning slightly backward, but that won't work here since his back is actually out and you see it more than his front, but I really want to do this face justice.  I think I might be able to get away with leaving him oriented like this, but supporting those arrows is going to be.. well... not fun.

Second is the valkyrie herself, 

image.thumb.png.2172d8fa8fe764cc36ad820903e36301.png

Again, The backs of the wings will be out and highly visible, but the face is very important to the piece.

Open to suggestions on how to best tackle this one if anyone has any ideas.  I may have to break down and learn how to use mesh-mixer to cut and key models into parts, but when i've tried in the past it didn't go great...

For the viking, try sideways, with the shield on top.

The Auld Grump

• Like 2

Is this the general help thread? 

Borrowing an Ender 3v2 to see if I like it, got a nice clean print of the Snoring Warrior Tavern off of Thingiverse, and a couple other little things. Decided to buy a nicer mini to test out, decided to run the pre-supported version. But about 75% of the way up the mini it seems to knock the mini off the plate and starts spinning it around while it tries to print.

What can I try first, so far I only really use default settings, but I tried using the Tune option and running about 95% speed last time, it got further than before but same story. Is this a problem with an unclean bed? I've been using soap & water, then followed by IPA. Manually leveling, because I read that might be the problem, but I was doing that anyway prior.

Any suggestions on what to try next?

Thanks in advance.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

A lot of times the supports are designed for resin printers, and can get screwed up pretty badly on an FDM printer.

The Auld Grump

Ah. Okay, so in this case is it better to use the unsupported mini and let Cura add supports? 

• Like 1
On 6/2/2021 at 2:32 PM, JoeGKushner said:

If I read MMF’s latest spam dump correctly, it looks like Rocket Pig is going to do exactly this. 

Rocket Pig Games new monthly releases
Exclusive to MyMiniFactory*
526098C3-FB71-47CB-B2CA-CE66419D69BB.jpeg.af37865ed665e05ae0a0e22c4b979283.jpeg
Be the FIRST to access Rocket Pig Games' latest mini bundles
 including...

Here is just a hint of what
Rocket Pig Games has in store for you in August!

More to be announced very soon...

• Like 2

Elegoo just put up an announcement video on YouTube for the Mars Pro Ultra 4k. 6.6 inch 4k mono screen and new design for the machine itself.

• Like 3