Jump to content

3D Printing General Discussion (merged)


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, lowlylowlycook said:

Apparently the new version of the Creality Slicer wants me to learn Portuguese and also crashes every time I "eject" the SD card.  Guess it's time to check out Cura.

 

They are the same program, just one is branded with Creality. ^_^

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, haldir said:

 

They are the same program, just one is branded with Creality. ^_^

Yeah, it even had the file I was testing under "open recent".

 

So if I'm thinking about getting a second bed should I just look for another glass bed like the CR-6 came with or should I look more into the spring steel magnetic stuff?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lowlylowlycook said:

Yeah, it even had the file I was testing under "open recent".

 

So if I'm thinking about getting a second bed should I just look for another glass bed like the CR-6 came with or should I look more into the spring steel magnetic stuff?

 

tbh, I think it comes down to personal preference, as I've seen great prints with all bed types. I think the magnetic one is the easiiest as it allows you to just pop the print off once it's cooled down. I think glass gives better adhesion & also makes your bed leveler (is that a word??) due to the rigidness  of the material used. I seen one the other day, polypropylene or something like that. I'm not sure what that one is all about.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

A Question Answered - Can A Hole In The FEP Be Temporarily Fixed With Tape?

 

Answer, surprisingly, is... yes.

 

The Auld Grump

 

I would not try that, resin becomes liquid so it will take little to creep between the tape and the FEP, if that happens and it hardens, it might cause damage with the next time you print and it gets squeezed onto the screen.

I will replace a FEP, always keep spares, if you don't, order some and be patient.

Damaging the screen is worse than having to wait a while for a new FEP.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

 

I would not try that, resin becomes liquid so it will take little to creep between the tape and the FEP, if that happens and it hardens, it might cause damage with the next time you print and it gets squeezed onto the screen.

I will replace a FEP, always keep spares, if you don't, order some and be patient.

Damaging the screen is worse than having to wait a while for a new FEP.

 

I think it would depend on the resin. The eSun water-washable resin I've been using is much less volatile than the spirit-based stuff, and is unlikely to degrade the adhesive on a good quality clear tape, in the short term at least. Before I got any spare FEP I relied on a packing-tape patch for several weeks; when I swapped out the FEP at the end of that time the patch was as firmly in place as ever.

 

I wouldn't want to rely on it except as an emergency measure, but for this resin at least it seems to work okay.

 

Addendum: I should note that I only had a pin-prick hole to deal with, and a larger rip would likely be a lot more problematic.

Edited by MojoBob
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

 

I would not try that, resin becomes liquid so it will take little to creep between the tape and the FEP, if that happens and it hardens, it might cause damage with the next time you print and it gets squeezed onto the screen.

I will replace a FEP, always keep spares, if you don't, order some and be patient.

Damaging the screen is worse than having to wait a while for a new FEP.

For emergency use - and he used packing tape - which covers a huger area, relative to the pinhole - an inch clearance, in any direction.

 

The Auld Grump

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I see chitubox pro dropped while I wasn't paying attention.  They've priced it higher than I want to pay, but maybe there's enough in there for professionals.  For the moment the free version is good enough for me. I can see a future when chitubox sticks a few useful (to me) features behind the paywall, like lychee already does.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought that I had put this up earlier - but it looks like I didn't.

 

Prime Day on Amazon this year includes 20% off on Phrozen products - including parts.

 

Which meant that we could get the replacement LCD ofor our Mini 4K for 20% off.

 

Too bad - I would have preferred getting more resin, but hard to use the resin when your printer isn't working....

 

The Auld Grump

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/17/2021 at 4:05 PM, haldir said:

 

tbh, I think it comes down to personal preference, as I've seen great prints with all bed types. I think the magnetic one is the easiiest as it allows you to just pop the print off once it's cooled down. I think glass gives better adhesion & also makes your bed leveler (is that a word??) due to the rigidness  of the material used. I seen one the other day, polypropylene or something like that. I'm not sure what that one is all about.

Probably PEI, it's usually sold as an adhesive sheet applied to either glass or spring steel.  It's Flame retardant, some say it can greatly increase adhesion and elimiates the need for gluesticks or blue tape.  Sometimes it can stick too well and should not be used with very high temp filaments like Nylon, Polycarbonate, or PEEK (Though most of us don't have printers capable of printing those.)  I think the general advice when using it as a bed surface is to stick to PLA, PETG, TPU and ABS, and be careful of filled PLAs, since it's not very abrasion resistant.
I've heard good things but I'm still using bare glass and not having any issues.

Edited by Cygnwulf
Link to post
Share on other sites

Traveller comes to crowdfunding..........Myminifactory crowdfunding......<_<.

 

Good designer behind it thou 2nd Dynasty 3d, so they know what they are doing when it comes to modular spaceships, just MMF. I have bad feeling that this might be the norm for stl crowdfunding anymore.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, haldir said:

Traveller comes to crowdfunding..........Myminifactory crowdfunding......<_<.

 

Good designer behind it thou 2nd Dynasty 3d, so they know what they are doing when it comes to modular spaceships, just MMF. I have bad feeling that this might be the norm for stl crowdfunding anymore.

I've gotten two of their previous KS and will definitely be on this one. That Scout with the wingtips looks great. With any luck you might see it at ReaperCon.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...