3D Printing General Discussion (merged)

Anne

13 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

With all of these resin printers going down in price, I am sorely tempted to spend some of my savings to get one.

Don't believe anyone that tells you that you will save money.

You will get more bang for your buck - but you will still be spending those bucks.

That said - no regrets.

The Auld Grump

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

41 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

You will get more bang for your buck - but you will still be spending those bucks.

That said - no regrets.

The Auld Grump

Saving money was never the goal of it. Truth be told, I only have one set of STLs that I want to print out, though I know there are others out there that I might like. But I do have room at my place for a printer, and there are definitely people in this small city that would need bits and bobs to be printed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheAuldGrump said:

That said - no regrets.

The Auld Grump

It is possible to save money, if one can manage self-discipline*. 

I have an amortization spreadsheet where I track all of my expenses (cost of printer, resin, supplies, tools, STLs, etc) and successful prints, so that I know what my average cost per mini is. 

Right now I've printed 424 "minis" for an average cost of $1.81 per mini - technically a savings.   It was down to $1.69/mini until I had to buy some replacement FEPs and a spare vat, which bumped it up to $1.89/mini - been working it down this week. 

Tracking it like this keeps me from splurging on STLs.  I've also held off on printing some bigger things like multipart vehicles to spread the cost over more things. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*ok, it's not really self-discipline, it's just not spending more than my wife and I's agreed hobby spending limits. That would likely be harder if we shared the hobby. 

• Like 3

I spend a budget on minis which I now spend on STL's, I do get more for my money.

Of course the printing process ( placing supports, and yes I recommend to learn to do that yourself since presupports are not always reliable, cleaning the prints, etc) takes time, I like doing it, it's a new part of the hobby to me.

If you feel it's a chore then think about it.

All in all I have no regrets and I find it exciting to work on a file, have it printed out and then have a cool mini to paint.

Comparing costs, I can buy one metal mini for about € 7 to € 10 or get myself a whole monthly patreon set for such money including a large monster/vehicle or terrain piece.

Depending on your taste you can go cheaper or more expensive.

No to mention digital storage compared to physical storage is a big plus in my book.

The digital files / 3D printing also gives room for new ways of sculpting, there are now poses and minis possible one can't do in greenstuff/metal/plastic.

Downside...it's addictive..

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I spend a budget on minis which I now spend on STL's, I do get more for my money.

Of course the printing process ( placing supports, and yes I recommend to learn to do that yourself since presupports are not always reliable, cleaning the prints, etc) takes time, I like doing it, it's a new part of the hobby to me.

If you feel it's a chore then think about it.

All in all I have no regrets and I find it exciting to work on a file, have it printed out and then have a cool mini to paint.

Comparing costs, I can buy one metal mini for about € 7 to € 10 or get myself a whole monthly patreon set for such money including a large monster/vehicle or terrain piece.

Depending on your taste you can go cheaper or more expensive.

No to mention digital storage compared to physical storage is a big plus in my book.

The digital files / 3D printing also gives room for new ways of sculpting, there are now poses and minis possible one can't do in greenstuff/metal/plastic.

Downside...it's addictive..

Yes, it is.

But the Patreons are soooo niiice!

And the Patreons are the main problem. We had a hundred dollar Patreon bill, and couldn't even say it wasn't worth every penny. ::(: Still can't. It was a great month for Patreons.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

Yes, it is.

But the Patreons are soooo niiice!

And the Patreons are the main problem. We had a hundred dollar Patreon bill, and couldn't even say it wasn't worth every penny. ::(: Still can't. It was a great month for Patreons.

I have a budget set in my mind for Patreons, I really do have to restrain myself every month since there is so many great stuff out there.

Sometimes I think I need to stop it because I already have so many files that I can never print and paint it all, on the other hand it's like having your own store, what do I like to print today?

Do I have one? Yes....

And every time I think that I have enough Undead/Lizards/Dinos etc...and then suddenly Arch Villain comes with a great Aztec based Dinomen release or Artisan Guild has modular Skeletons including riders etc... And I think...hmmm, maybe just these then...

Repeat next month..:ph34r:

• Like 3

Yah, I've held off on a couple Patreons that I really like but like the 'wolf, I've got a set budget limit for my Patreon as well & I'm right at that level now. Reminds me, I need to download my August stuff.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I have a budget set in my mind for Patreons, I really do have to restrain myself every month since there is so many great stuff out there.

Sometimes I think I need to stop it because I already have so many files that I can never print and paint it all, on the other hand it's like having your own store, what do I like to print today?

Do I have one? Yes....

And every time I think that I have enough Undead/Lizards/Dinos etc...and then suddenly Arch Villain comes with a great Aztec based Dinomen release or Artisan Guild has modular Skeletons including riders etc... And I think...hmmm, maybe just these then...

Repeat next month..:ph34r:

Two people, shared hobbies, with similar but distinct tastes, each enabling the other. ::o:

And.I kind of.want the Dragon Trappers Lodge flying whale with a howdah house. <_<

Some are fixed, and we got into the habit of swapping out Patreons.

The problem isn't the bad months, it's the months when EVERYBODY has things we want. ::(:

What a terrible reason for a divorce that would be: "Irreconcilable Similarities".

But a GREAT band name!

The second offender is Kickstarter.

Edited by PaganMegan
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, PaganMegan said:

And.I kind of.want the Dragon Trappers Lodge flying whale with a howdah house. <_<

Based on their post in DTL patreon, the whale will be distributed to all current and past patrons.  So if you've ever been a patron, you'll get it.

• Like 2

On 8/17/2021 at 7:03 PM, TheAuldGrump said:

Now where can we find a seated figure with a fluffy white cat in his lap?

image.thumb.png.8d72bb32fa0987968c7d6e4b2de70718.png

I have nothing against you, Mr. Bond, but Fluffy here has determined that you must die.

The Auld Grump

Before I kill you, Mr. Bond, I will make you hold on to my purse, while I try a few dresses on, and ask for your opinion.

Be brutal. :devil:

• Haha 3

On 8/20/2021 at 7:09 PM, PaganMegan said:

Before I kill you, Mr. Bond, I will make you hold on to my purse, while I try a few dresses on, and ask for your opinion.

Be brutal. :devil:

I still have that game, somewhere.

Both the original and the Totally Renamed Spy Game version. (The original... wasn't very good - there was no reason for the villain NOT to kill Mr. Bond.

The Auld Grump