3D Printing General Discussion (merged)

Anne

13 minutes ago, Olaf the Stout said:

Do people typically remove the supports from inside hollow models, or just leave them there if you can’t see them anyway?

I generally leave supports inside any hollow model. I believe they could help internal supporting of the model (it may not be scientifically true, or proven, but I feel better about it)

Reverend Shartan

• Like 3

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, Olaf the Stout said:

Do people typically remove the supports from inside hollow models, or just leave them there if you can’t see them anyway?

It depends on how easy they are to remove and like you said if they're visible or not.  Ones that pass out through the drain holes get twisted and pulled out, but since I'm usually painting stuff the ones that both ends are completely within the model usually stay where they are,

• Like 2

7 hours ago, lowlylowlycook said:

Any value to a magnetic build plate for a resin printer?

I have one on my SM4K and IMHO most of the time the answer is no. The only reason I haven't taken it off is I would have to relevel my plate once it's gone.

• If you have your bottom layers set correctly your prints should come off fairly easily. If you have to chip them off your exposure time is too high. So the flex plate is pretty unnecessary.
  • In order to release you obviously have to flex your plate enough to create an arc relative to your print.  For a large print this is easy.  For a small print this can be harder to do as the partially cured resin does have some flex to it.
  • When you flex what goes first is the weakest link.  This can be an attachment point on your mini - i.e. it will tear off a support when it flexes and damage your print.
  • The one thing it is handy for is printing bases flat.  They are sturdy enough to pop right off without having to worry about a support pulling off.

2 hours ago, Olaf the Stout said:

If they extend out through a drain hole then yes, otherwise I don't bother.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

FYI, I picked up 20x 16oz bottles of IPA at the grocery store last week, marked down to .25 a bottle.  Seems it's not selling as well these days and some stores want shelf space for Christmas.  Make sure you don't get the kind with hand lotion in it. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, lowlylowlycook said:

Anything I need to keep in mind with minis I can't yet cure?  Just treat them gently while wearing gloves?

If they're uncured I would only touch them with gloves when absolutely needed.

Curing can be done in the Sun, in a curing station or under a nail dryer.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

If they're uncured I would only touch them with gloves when absolutely needed.

Curing can be done in the Sun, in a curing station or under a nail dryer.

Add to this is a simple curing box made up a UV light, a box with tin foil on the inside & one of those small motorized rotating platforms. You need UV light to fully cure resin.

• Thanks 3

On 12/5/2021 at 8:59 AM, lowlylowlycook said:

What's more of a pain to support textured fur or rivets?  Both seem to lead to tiny, tiny islands that can't be eliminated by adjusting the angle of the mini.

Rivets.  They're usually very regular and so you have to support theme the same every time or the irregularity sticks out to me.  Fur being inherently very irregular you typically don't notice support scars at all.

12 hours ago, lowlylowlycook said:

Well resin printers are sure easy enough to set up and level...

That they are. Nice looking test print there.

In other news, waiting to hear back from Elegoo support... when I put my Saturn together last week the bolts that hold down the resin tank were a little hard to tighten but I was able to get them tightened down using only my fingers.  Went to remove the tank today to clean it, and one of them seized completely, after tearing two pair of gloves on it, I stupidly resorted to the pliers, which promptly caused it to shear off just above the base with a little less than 1/4 inch sticking out.  Plus side I was able to clean the vat.  Downside is now I can't hold it down on one side....
Waiting to see if this is something they're willing to do something about without it costing me anything, if it's going to cost I'll take it apart myself, drill out the nub and tap in replacement threads, I just don't want to have to do that.....

• Like 2

On 12/3/2021 at 10:47 AM, lowlylowlycook said:

Any value to a magnetic build plate for a resin printer?

Only if speed is an important factor, when you have another plate you have to start right away.

We have one, and I use it because we have it, and, yeah, right now I'm glad of it, because we are going through resin by the bucket right now.

But most of the time, it wouldn't matter.

I wish there was a local store that carried resin. Or the Big River could actually get it to us in two days.
<_<

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

So far I haven't had any problems getting the print to release.  Maybe that means I've been living dangerously as far as the print falling off.  I've been impressed with how the default settings as far as print quality goes.

Successfully printed a OnePageRules spaceship.  Now to work up the courage to print something I've done the supports for.

• Like 3