3D Printing General Discussion (merged)

Anne

So, finally got the resin printed actually sorted out and have it running.  Here's to finding out whether or not I set the right distance from the screen and didn't miss anything, as I have a test rook running on the Mars 2 Pro that I sliced up in Lychee.  Now to just figure out what to actually print next once that's sorted out.

• Like 4

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

So, finally got the resin printed actually sorted out and have it running.  Here's to finding out whether or not I set the right distance from the screen and didn't miss anything, as I have a test rook running on the Mars 2 Pro that I sliced up in Lychee.  Now to just figure out what to actually print next once that's sorted out.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3050912

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Looks neat, but I decided to go with a gnoll Brute from Archvillain Games, and then I might give White Werewolf Tavern's Oleana a shot. ^_^  Surprisingly, the stock settings seem to do really really well.  I just accidentally over-cured my calibration thingy, but oh well.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Hmmm, technically a success, but those lines have me curious.  Guessing I probably should have centered this body, eh?

20220103_200438.thumb.jpg.6a385655a7ea77aeab8390a314ff0984.jpg

Looked at my settings..  Yeaaaah, turns out I had a setting slightly incorrect in my slicer - Elegoo recommends 2.5 second exposures for my resin, and they were set to 2 seconds in slicer.  That'll probably do it.

Edit: also turns out that the pre-supported body was hollowed, but no air vent was left in order to reduce suction forces. 

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 2

I was about to say that those looked like suction lines....

Tried to set up my Mercury X bundle yesterday evening, only to find that the wash machine won't actually wash.  It turns the impeller about half a turn and then gets stuck completely and makes a high pitched grinding noise.  Got it arranged to send back for an exchange, but that means I'm without a post processing station until Friday evening and I started a print before I started unboxing last night, so my lovely Moonlight Minis set for January will be hanging in the printer for a while yet....  (I mean, I could go retrieve my berry buckets and homemade cure chamber from where they're languishing out in the garage and refill them, but I mixed the alcohol from both of them and haven't had a good sunny day to deal with curing and filtering it and I don't want to pour any fresh in them for one print, I'd rather just grouse about not being able to finish it, lol)

• Like 3

@WhiteWulfe Definitely suction lines.  Your 2 second time should be fine and yield higher detail if it actually prints.  Reducing the time won't do lines like that, it will increase crispness of detail, but if it fails it will fail by the layers peeling apart somewhere (usually ripping off the supports).

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

@WhiteWulfe Definitely suction lines.  Your 2 second time should be fine and yield higher detail if it actually prints.  Reducing the time won't do lines like that, it will increase crispness of detail, but if it fails it will fail by the layers peeling apart somewhere (usually ripping off the supports).

Good to know.  I wasn't planning on lowering the time, I was going to increase it half a second to see how things behaved, and also look further into the initial setup and slice. 

• Like 1

Ohhhhh yeah.  Didn't have time to really inventory the parts, but here's a quick photo of what will hold the small lcd screen.  My SPIFY parts from Sparta3D are in, whoo! 

20220106_200835.thumb.jpg.464f2c818bde98187248493879b42809.jpg

I'd have a pic of all the parts, but a) there's a ton of them and b) I didn't put a decent background behind the "here's the four giant bags of parts" pic so I'll have to retake it. 

Sparkle Bright Orange ABS with a Sparkle Cloud Grey ABS accent colour. 

The skirt pieces are massive. 

• Like 3

When you know you've gone meta....

I've stubled across a new test print on thingiverse that everyone should use......

image.png.e6ee462120070b55669c813df93a8cbe.png

Available for free on thingiverse 

Edited by Cygnwulf
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Olaf the Stout said:

About to start painting my first few prints. Do I need to wash them in soapy water first?

Or is the fact that I washed them in isopropyl alcohol before curing them enough?

No, you don't need to wash them as long as they're properly cured and dried. Unlike cast resin miniatures, there's no mould release agent involved.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, MojoBob said:

No, you don't need to wash them as long as they're properly cured and dried. Unlike cast resin miniatures, there's no mould release agent involved.

I thought as much, but wanted to check. I’ve left them a week to gas out fully after curing in a cure station, so they should be good to go.

• Like 1