Anne

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/14/2022 at 12:12 PM, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Is this the pain I can look forward to?

Learn to place supports, level the bed and once you get the right settings most prints will print like they should.

And it's all easier than you think, I'm a non-tech person and the printig failures I had can be counted on one hand while I printed a lot of minis.

Advice:

Watch youtube videos on the topic, I learned a lot from it.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Learn to place supports, level the bed and once you get the right settings most prints will print like they should.

And it's all easier than you think, I'm a non-tech person and the printig failures I had can be counted on one hand while I printed a lot of minis.

Advice:

Watch youtube videos on the topic, I learned a lot from it.

Yep, for all but one of my failures, I was able to very quickly see why something had failed.

Things like learning the best orientation for STLs on the build plate, adding supports, hollowing out minis, adding drain holes, finding and correcting islands, print settings, etc, will take time, but there are a heap of tutorials and videos out there to assist.

It took me pretty much an entire day of sitting at the computer, watching videos, reading websites and playing around in Chitubox to learn some of those things, but I don’t feel overawed by any of those things now and that’s after having my printer for only a few weeks.

• Like 2

Whooo hooo. I finally changed the lcd on my Anycubic photon and it worked on the first try. I printed an engine and exhaust for my sons pinewood derby car. 

btw…..once resin drips down through the unit, the LCD essentially get fused to the support plate. And the support plate is acrylic….and doesn’t respond well to using a heat gun to try to peel the lcd screen off. Did I mention the acrylic is 4 mm thick which is a thickness 4 nearby glass shops doesn’t carry? After an order from Amazon and some work on the jig saw, I got it back together. Added tape around the lcd this time in case of another resin leak. Know it shouldn’t get between the plate and lcd. 

was also able to use the wash and cure for the first time. A luxury item, but dang it was nice not getting chemicals all over my hand and work surface.  I bought an extra tub. Keeping water in one and IPA in the other. Worked great. Only issue I add is the didn’t install the safety sticker in the right spot, so I had to shim the back of the cover about 5 mm to get the UV light to turn on. Apparently they don’t check them before shipping. 

• Like 4

"Cutting" a file apart?

So I need the Maw of Sekolah, a huge 2 headed shark god avatar for my guys on Weds. I was able to find the file on both MMF & thingi'. Now I like the MMF one more but it's big for my build plate. The one on thingi is made by Miguel Zavala aka The DM Workshop. It's simpler & it'll work, only problem is the base & the mini come together. How do you separate the 2 pieces so you can print the mini & the base by themselves? Knowing this will also help with the hill giantess in Storm Lord's Thunder as she is a huge hill giant that is so large she is in a wagon & all the parts of the file are all one file.

thanks

• Like 2

1 hour ago, haldir said:

"Cutting" a file apart?

So I need the Maw of Sekolah, a huge 2 headed shark god avatar for my guys on Weds. I was able to find the file on both MMF & thingi'. Now I like the MMF one more but it's big for my build plate. The one on thingi is made by Miguel Zavala aka The DM Workshop. It's simpler & it'll work, only problem is the base & the mini come together. How do you separate the 2 pieces so you can print the mini & the base by themselves? Knowing this will also help with the hill giantess in Storm Lord's Thunder as she is a huge hill giant that is so large she is in a wagon & all the parts of the file are all one file.

thanks

The 3D builder that comes with windows has a "split" function and meshmixer has "plane cut." I've never actually used them for that purpose, but they look like they should work.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

For someone who's looking into getting a resin printer, what are the essentials that I would need to get? Obviously the printer itself and resin, but do I get replacement screens, etc.?

Since you're in Canada, I'd recommend getting a spare screen, as well as FEP sheets.  You may not need it right away, but Amazon and Elegoo will be out of stock for six weeks the day your screen dies, because Canadian supply is so silly right now. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, haldir said:

"Cutting" a file apart?

thanks

I'll chime in here and say Prusa Slicer also has a plane cut feature if you configure a SL1 printer in your setup, then you can also use their support feature if you're so inclined and export each part with supports.
Meshmixer though would be my choice program for this. (also don't mind the statement that they've depreciated it, it still works absolutely fine, for stuff like this fusion360's kind of like using a steam drill to poke a hole in a sheet of paper.)

13 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

For someone who's looking into getting a resin printer, what are the essentials that I would need to get? Obviously the printer itself and resin, but do I get replacement screens, etc.?

In addition to the supplies you're already using, Id reccomend spare screen, fep film, gloves, alcohol, and paper towels, you never know when that stuff's going to be out of stock w hen you need it.

I also make sure I have clear trash bags so I can lay my used paper, gloves, and supports out in the sun for an afternoon (turning it occasionally) before throwing them away.

12 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

You may not need it right away, but Amazon and Elegoo will be out of stock for six weeks the day your screen dies, because Canadian supply is so silly right now. 

Not just a Canada thing unfortunately

• Like 3

15 hours ago, haldir said:

"Cutting" a file apart?

thanks

I use Meshmixer.  It has a plane cut under edit.  It can also do keying and the like to make sure you can match the pieces perfectly.  There are some really good youtube videos.

Unrelated, my Sovol SV03 is dead for now.  I'm assuming since it is a Bed temp error that it is the known issue with the early models finally.  They made the cables to the bed a bit too short and not flexible enough, so over time the cables tend to break.  Usually happens in the first 3-4 months, but I took a 3-4 month break from printing, so it decided to failed 2 weeks after I got it all back dialed in and had a whole bunch of stuff lined up to print  that's too big for my Ender.

Waiting on Sovol to go through what ever steps to get the replacement build plate sent.
Once I know a new one is coming I may try to fix the old one, although I'm not sure I've got the electrical skills needed for that. I know some other folks have done it, so hopefully one of them documented the process....

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I should have been more clearer in my question, but the way MZ did some of his earlier files, he places all the objects needed into 1 file. So in this case, its the mini & the base line up next to it. I don't need to cut the mini from the base, just cut the 2 object apart so I don't waste resin printing something that'll just be a partial piece anyways if printed. Same principle, I'm assuming?

Hopefully after all of this, it'll print up correctly. If anything, I should just try & change out that X-belt on CR 6 & print the MMF file. :rock: If anything, this will at least give me some practice in using Meshmixer.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, haldir said:

I should have been more clearer in my question, but the way MZ did some of her earlier files, he places all the objects needed into 1 file. So in this case, its the mini & the base line up next to it. I don't need to cut the mini from the base, just cut the 2 object apart so I don't waste resin printing something that'll just be a partial piece anyways if printed. Same principle, I'm assuming?

Hopefully after all of this, it'll print up correctly. If anything, I should just try & change out that X-belt on CR 6 & print the MMF file. :rock: If anything, this will at least give me some practice in using Meshmixer.

Meshmixer will do that for you too.  You can just "lasso" the piece you don't want and delete it, then export to a new stl.  Or use a brush, lots of ways to delete things you don't want.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1