3D Printing General Discussion (merged)

Anne

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/1/2022 at 11:33 AM, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Had to go watch a video on Core XY....interesting.......now where can I fit another printer?......

Manaiacal laugh? 

...Says the fox already contemplating a second printer for various reasons, but one of them is that gorgeous Space Grey LDO is offering as a limited time colour for their v2.4 (technically v2.4r2) kits..  I also rather want the flying gantry from the Vronon v2.4... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, Reverend Shartan said:

For anyone subscribed to AV Games, have you been flooded with multiple messages from MMF concerning last months AV release?  So far, I have had over 40 emails from MMF stating that my rewards are ready to be added to my library......

Reverend Shartan

I'm not subbed to them but I've gotten weird emails from MMF before.  First of January for about 12 hours or so I got notifications for every tribe that released minis, not just the ones that I was subscribed to a the time.

I didn't get the minis, but I got the notifications.....

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

We just got our 1.5 liter pouch of Vulcan resin from the Kickstarter. And got to it before it froze! (We are letting it warm up before use. 🙂 )

A nice touch - they printed the exposure times on the pouch.

The packaging is interesting - pouch, not bottle. And somewhat larger than the 1 L bottles we have been buying.

Reviews look favorable, so...

The Auld Grump

• Like 7

1 hour ago, TheAuldGrump said:

We just got our 1.5 liter pouch of Vulcan resin from the Kickstarter. And got to it before it froze! (We are letting it warm up before use. 🙂 )

A nice touch - they printed the exposure times on the pouch.

The packaging is interesting - pouch, not bottle. And somewhat larger than the 1 L bottles we have been buying.

Reviews look favorable, so...

The Auld Grump

Hoping for the best. Always nice to have other resins to use when your main ones are unobtainable.

Ok, finally got around to putting my nfep sheet on. While it wasn't difficult, trimming the sheet was a bit of a pain as my exacto blade didn't want to trim the sheets. It cut em, but when I trimming against the bottom of the vat it was like I was cutting leather?? Either way, vat is back on the printer, re-leveled & currently printing "Bunn-lee" a rabbitfolk monk from Twin Goddess miniatures.

Oddly, I don't need the mini, but also it'll be my first one from TG & I've bought quite a bit of minis from them due to MMF super sales & such. I'm just hoping it prints as it feels like it's been a long time since I've had a successful print come off my printer. One thing that worries me thou is the nfep sheet didn't feel taut like it has before. Hoping that I won't need to re-do everything due to that (& waste a nfep sheet in the process).

Hopefully tomorrow, or maybe later tonight, i'll get around trying to fix the CR6.

• Like 3

Ok Bunn-Lee came out great & I'm just waiting for a sahaugin priestess mini from mz4250 aka Miguel Zveda (I know I misspelled his last name...again) to get done in the cleaning vat. My Weds players are kinda wrapping up Final Enemy, but they still will take part in the full an assault of the fortress, so I needed a couple proper minis for their foes.

Ok, priestess came out great as well. She is a bit bigger, more like a true 30 or maybe even 32mm size, but either way she'll look better then a numbered 25mm base.

I started to print anther one, & when I wake up from a nap later, I'll print off some sharks. These are a interesting print, as each half is the mini. I've got 6 halves, so 3 sharks total. They should be a quick print as they don't come off the build plate very far. I'm thinkin 1 hr to 1 1/2 hrs. Hopefully, everything comes out as I've always had problems with multiple pieces being printed. I have no idea why. Hopefully simple prints = results. I think this file is also a MZ file as well. Even thou MZ's files are free to download, I may end up supporting his patreon, mainly to say "Thanks!" & knowing where all his files a centrally located would be nice.

• Like 5

On 2/4/2022 at 5:10 PM, PaganMegan said:

Duncan just discovered that the Star Trek MMO he plays has STLs for printing the ships.

Interesting.  I was just playing Star Wars: The Old Republic and wondered if there were files out there to do and Old Republic force for Legion.  

• Like 3

My corporate masters had their big meeting and announced their 2021 results plus discretionary bonuses this week. i.e. a good year = good bonus, bad year = not so much.  2021 was very good year for them and thus me, which has me looking at printers again.  My SM4K is a nice printer, but it is mini and some of the files I have simply don't fit in the print area.  I was thinking of getting a 9" class resin printer since that would give me an extra 2" on the x & y plus 3" to 4" on the height.  Some of the gk style figures I have were obviously cut with this plate size in mind.  OTOH I could make the jump into filament and print some bigger terrain pieces. Not sure I want to go there though.

Either way I'd have to find some place to put it.  Technically my basement has plenty of space, but whoever wired it didn't believe a person would ever need more than one outlet. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JoeGKushner said:

Anyone been cutting back on Patreons?  At this point I probably have hundreds if not thousands of figures, most of which I haven't printed much less painted.  The FOMO is starting to wear off for me.

I am getting more selective, I toned down to about two per Month, of course this Month I also joined Iain Lovecraft's Treasure Island KS because I needed those Pirates.

No, I can never print it all, but for the price of one mini getting a whole set it's all good value.

But I did tone it down a bit, I'm really looking for certain races/monsters and those I will join.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoeGKushner said:

Anyone been cutting back on Patreons?  At this point I probably have hundreds if not thousands of figures, most of which I haven't printed much less painted.  The FOMO is starting to wear off for me.

Not yet, but I’m only 3 months in to owning a printer, so still building up my library.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, JoeGKushner said:

I can't say I have FOMO, after all pretty much every Patreon has their models for sale somewhere.  No, what keeps me coming back is the ridiculous pricing structure.  Take this month's Titan's Forge.  I only want 3 of the minis pictured.  I also know that they will retail for about $20 (or $10 during one of the frequent sales).  So why not pay the same price now and get them plus another 20 minis?  They can sit in my library for somedayTM.

Also a good chunk of the patreons I back are the statue/gk style that only produce 2-3 figure per month.  It'll take me awhile to get thousands of those.

• Like 1