3D Printing General Discussion (merged)

Anne

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I haven't loaded up any filament, but I have a working & leveled CR-6 again. Happy to finally get that working again, hopefully I'll get around to getting something printed from it over next week's vacation time.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

The Saturn S has been ordered - two things happened the same day. We got our tax return... and a coupon for $50 off.

Convenient. Almost... too... convenient....  <_<

The Auld Grump - Friday, if the gods of the Big River are to be believed.

It's like they know or something.......(puts tin foil hat back on....:B):)

• Like 3

It may not look like much, but we're getting there.  Just need that last box of parts to come in with my extra wiring to run the ground wire, and the toolhead on my Voron Trident will have its wiring completed. 

20220220_215717.thumb.jpg.31a3dcdf7fede48bc5a2ee42e7add8a6.jpg

(and in a few months, I'll rip out the mismatched wires wiring harness for a nice orange one!  Orange because hey, I want a consistent scheme to my wires, so mostly orange with a bit of black sounds like a lovely thing!) 

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 4

(wrong thread for this post, so I moved it)

Well, not the most exciting thing to print off, but I guess you can say it's my test print for the CR6. While watching some vids, I came across one that had a filament guide clip between the out of filament sensor block & the extruder. It help solve the "gotta use your fingers to put the filament through the extruder". I figured what the hell, print that first! It's current printing. I'll see if I have a success print in about 90 mins or so. Crossing fingers, as my current placement, kinda put the filament holder in a odd spot. Hopefully when I actually set this printer in it's future home, I'll be able to move the holder in a better position. 

Also, what's up with thingiverse these days? Normally you can just click the "Download all files" button & it downloads, now you have to turn off ad-blocker & it just moves down to the individual files when you click???????

EDIT:

As I typed that last part & posted the new post, I see my part is finished! 1:12, Not bad, not bad at all. Looks like a solid part

16455810402763725427532546249892.jpg

• Like 5

Well I was gonna print off the Maw of Sekolah mini as the figure by itself is a sure test of my Phrozen build plate & with the wave base, it totally won't fit on that build plate.  Obviously, it'll fit on the CR6 build plate, but the 2 headed shark + wave base mini would take like 23 hrs to print, ha ha. Since my game is at 6 pm tomorrow evening that would just be a waste of time. Printing the shark(s) mini by itself would take like 18, again no deal. I made up one a couple weeks ago using a couple of rubber toy sharks (squeeze them & a leg pops out of it's mouth). It's not the greatest but it the right size & such. In the end I decided to reprint my adapter bracket for my Phrozen buildplate for my Anycubic Wash n Cure. I always wanted to have it printed in PLA vs resin, so this will be a nice longer test for the CR6, being that it's little over 4 hrs for print.

Hopefully, I'll awake in the morning to a successful print. (my last overnight print was the one that killed my Ender 3 with the glob of doom, so I'm a bit skeptical).

• Like 3

3 hours ago, haldir said:

(wrong thread for this post, so I moved it)

Well, not the most exciting thing to print off, but I guess you can say it's my test print for the CR6. While watching some vids, I came across one that had a filament guide clip between the out of filament sensor block & the extruder. It help solve the "gotta use your fingers to put the filament through the extruder". I figured what the hell, print that first! It's current printing. I'll see if I have a success print in about 90 mins or so. Crossing fingers, as my current placement, kinda put the filament holder in a odd spot. Hopefully when I actually set this printer in it's future home, I'll be able to move the holder in a better position. 

Also, what's up with thingiverse these days? Normally you can just click the "Download all files" button & it downloads, now you have to turn off ad-blocker & it just moves down to the individual files when you click???????

EDIT:

As I typed that last part & posted the new post, I see my part is finished! 1:12, Not bad, not bad at all. Looks like a solid part

16455810402763725427532546249892.jpg

I know that part! ::D:

We have one just like it.

• Like 3

On 2/18/2022 at 1:48 PM, JoeGKushner said:

Anyone been cutting back on Patreons?  At this point I probably have hundreds if not thousands of figures, most of which I haven't printed much less painted.  The FOMO is starting to wear off for me.

A bit, I've got mine down quite a bit in the new year tightening of the purse strings.  This month right now is just Painting Big, OnePageRules, OneGoldPiece, and Moonlight minis.  Most of the others I follow just haven't been quite doing it for me this month, but there looks like there will be some increase next month.

On 2/19/2022 at 6:41 AM, Glitterwolf said:

FREE on THINGIVERSE SKEKSIS from DARK CRSYTAL !

Schermafbeelding 2022-02-19 134100.jpg

mmmmmmm MMM HMMMMMmmmMMM!

Also, I got on that lithopane bandwagon finally.  This came out pretty good!

PXL_20220222_154859208.jpg

PXL_20220222_154942290.jpg

Edited by Cygnwulf
  • Like 10

On 2/21/2022 at 7:34 PM, TheAuldGrump said:

The Saturn S has been ordered - two things happened the same day. We got our tax return... and a coupon for $50 off.

Convenient. Almost... too... convenient....  <_<

The Auld Grump - Friday, if the gods of the Big River are to be believed.

The printer was supposed to arrive today.

They rescheduled for Sunday(?!)

The printer arrived today,....

Currently humming away on a test print. ::):

The Auld Grump

• Like 8

So, basically, the saturn S is just a bit bigger then a standard Saturn, has a replaceable carbon filter and is slightly faster? Man, right after I buy my saturn (okay,not really, I got it last year hehe), was just like my neptune 2's and now they have the S (which I have one hehe).

• Like 3

Soooo happy to finally get this done.  Like insanely happy.  It's been a few weeks here and there (and realizing I need extra tools or parts at each step) to reuse the harness my Formbot kit had in order to use the toolhead PCB.  Fun part is it's wire tidying time now, bundling things up, making it look neat and tidy, securing things, and then....

Software configuration.  It's always the hardest thing last, isn't it...

20220226_181311.thumb.jpg.8f34a6a7e20e56b49f3afe5f3f0fe671.jpg

20220226_191625.thumb.jpg.df6b52bfd1eb777a8b2aa7710652d0d5.jpg

Looks so much nicer than the cable spaghetti it's been for a while though....

• Like 5

On 2/25/2022 at 9:20 PM, Ratmaster2000 said:

So, basically, the saturn S is just a bit bigger then a standard Saturn, has a replaceable carbon filter and is slightly faster? Man, right after I buy my saturn (okay,not really, I got it last year hehe), was just like my neptune 2's and now they have the S (which I have one hehe).

From what I've seen.. "Bigger" by only 2-4mm in the X and Y and only 10mm in the Z.  how often do you actually use all of that Z height?  I almost never do.  Slight increase in resolution but still classified as 4k, the pixel size goes from .05 to .048.  If you think you can see the difference in 2 microns then maybe this is an advantage, but overall the screen difference is a wash to me.

From what I've seen the 'faster' is debatable too.  I'm not finding any specs for the light on their website right now but All3dp says it is the same 54 LED parallel matrix used in the Saturn.  Their website says that the new screen shortens the printing time by later to 2s-3s.  This is already where we're at with any monochrome screen.

Literally the only advantage I can see is that it has the mini air purifier built into it.  It appears to be the same form factor as the rechargeable air purifiers they already sell, which I've dinged because they've been out almost a year now and you still can't buy refills for them.  Maybe adding it directly into the printer will encourage them to put them out?  

Besides all that, those little small in build area air filters only work during the print, and not after you take the cover off while doing post processing. You still need a bigger fume extractor or large enclosure to control those fumes.  I'd of much rather had a build area heater that ran off that power port than an air purifier that won't be a complete solution.

When you compare this to what the mono x 6k brought to the table, I feel like this is a miss for Elegoo.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Cygnwulf said:

From what I've seen.. "Bigger" by only 2-4mm in the X and Y and only 10mm in the Z.  how often do you actually use all of that Z height?  I almost never do.  Slight increase in resolution but still classified as 4k, the pixel size goes from .05 to .048.  If you think you can see the difference in 2 microns then maybe this is an advantage, but overall the screen difference is a wash to me.

From what I've seen the 'faster' is debatable too.  I'm not finding any specs for the light on their website right now but All3dp says it is the same 54 LED parallel matrix used in the Saturn.  Their website says that the new screen shortens the printing time by later to 2s-3s.  This is already where we're at with any monochrome screen.

Literally the only advantage I can see is that it has the mini air purifier built into it.  It appears to be the same form factor as the rechargeable air purifiers they already sell, which I've dinged because they've been out almost a year now and you still can't buy refills for them.  Maybe adding it directly into the printer will encourage them to put them out?  

Besides all that, those little small in build area air filters only work during the print, and not after you take the cover off while doing post processing. You still need a bigger fume extractor or large enclosure to control those fumes.  I'd of much rather had a build area heater that ran off that power port than an air purifier that won't be a complete solution.

When you compare this to what the mono x 6k brought to the table, I feel like this is a miss for Elegoo.

Sounds about what I was thinking on this "new" model. I already have an original saturn, so I am probably good. I think this is elegoo's new thing, make a few refinements/enhancements, then rebrand it as an "S" model (they did it with the neptune 2, though honestly it was 3 good enhancements I didn't feel comfortable doing to my OG 2's. But really, those add-ons were already out and should have been standard on the original). 

• Like 2