3D Printing General Discussion (merged)

Anne

Question

On several occasions I noticed that when I print larger bases they will warp when curing.

So far I tried printing them directly on the plate / print them from an angle with supports.

Resi - Elegoo Grey on a basic Elegoo Mars.

I cure under an UV light or in the Sun after cleaning with hot water and then methylated alcohol.

Tips to prevent this anyone?

Smaller bases tend to work well but it shows when i print a monster base or something like that.

What's the best way to print such flat surfaces and keep them from warping?

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some pics of prints the last few days. First, I love Thingiverse, there is some good stuff among the dross. First, just some simple bases designed to fit the platform that Heroclix puts their minis on. The base swallows the platform to give you a flat base top to work with. Next pics are a Heroforge version of Dumm Dum Dugan, the Dwarfdog Stand and a desert building. They're primed and ready for more attention.

image.thumb.png.cf03cceeac33739d33765177a251301b.png

image.thumb.png.f4169c3e6d351f55e4cacae2f5c96e20.png

• Like 4

Anyone else feel like their 3D printer has spoiled the Reaper Bones Kickstarters for them?

Neither the core set, nor any of the $50 sets are screaming "buy me" at this point. It doesn't help that Reaper haven't shown us many big minis or terrain pieces yet, which is the area that consumer-grade resin printers don't do as well.

It also doesn't help that I'd need to wait 18 months to get the minis from the Kickstarter. Whereas I could 3D print the small and medium minis, small pieces of terrain, furniture and the like in the next few hours if I needed them.

It's just feel weird to not have the sense of excitement for the Bones Kickstarters that I've had before simply because, for many of the minis shown, I have several cooler looking STLs of those exact monsters or PCs sitting on my hard drive right now.

• Thanks 4

On 4/5/2022 at 4:45 AM, Glitterwolf said:

Question

On several occasions I noticed that when I print larger bases they will warp when curing.

So far I tried printing them directly on the plate / print them from an angle with supports.

I cure under an UV light or in the Sun after cleaning with hot water and then methylated alcohol.

Smaller bases tend to work well but it shows when i print a monster base or something like that.

I've not had much luck printing bases flat on the build plate, they always come out too thin or otherwise weirdly distorted.  Much prefer printing them on ample supports.
What angle are you turning them at when you print them on supports?  The ones I get from OPR print really well, they're ususally angled between 45 and 60 degrees, will have a couple of mediums at the lowest point and scattered across the entire base about 1/4" apart, then fine supports spaced very close together around the lowest 1/3 of the rim. (almost like fin supports).  Then additional supports for details as necessary.

6 hours ago, Olaf the Stout said:

Anyone else feel like their 3D printer has spoiled the Reaper Bones Kickstarters for them?

It's just feel weird to not have the sense of excitement for the Bones Kickstarters that I've had before simply because, for many of the minis shown, I have several cooler looking STLs of those exact monsters or PCs sitting on my hard drive right now.

Some, but actually not that much for this one.  I'm actually in for the most I've been in prior to the KS closing, but part of that's because the time of year I have a surplus in my hobby budget so I can actually pledge for the core set for a change.  The Briarwood expansion has me at least as excited as any previous expansion.  Could be because most of it is all very unique and hard to find stuff.  

True, the 3d printer has made me less excited to pledge for physical minis, and it has certainly contributed to the plethora of backlog that I have, but I don't think that's what's taking away from these. They look great, and I know I'm going to get a quality mini without any effort of supporting, cleaning failures, etc.

I think this KS is just missing the excitement that some of the previous ones had.  For some reason it feels more like 'oh and here are some minis' instead of "HEY LOOKIT ALL THIS COOL STUFF!"

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Olaf the Stout said:

For me, it already happened with Bones 5. That, and the fact that I still have hundreds of unpainted Bones 1-4 minis. With STLs, my pile of shame is hidden on its own hard disk.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Cygnwulf said:

I've not had much luck printing bases flat on the build plate, they always come out too thin or otherwise weirdly distorted.  Much prefer printing them on ample supports.
What angle are you turning them at when you print them on supports?  The ones I get from OPR print really well, they're ususally angled between 45 and 60 degrees, will have a couple of mediums at the lowest point and scattered across the entire base about 1/4" apart, then fine supports spaced very close together around the lowest 1/3 of the rim. (almost like fin supports).  Then additional supports for details as necessary.

I usually angle at 30/35 degrees I will try your method, Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jadeite said:

For me, it already happened with Bones 5. That, and the fact that I still have hundreds of unpainted Bones 1-4 minis. With STLs, my pile of shame is hidden on its own hard disk.

It's not an STL pile of shame, it's a resource library! ::D:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Olaf the Stout said:

Neither the core set, nor any of the $50 sets are screaming "buy me" at this point. It doesn't help that Reaper haven't shown us many big minis or terrain pieces yet, which is the area that consumer-grade resin printers don't do as well.

It also doesn't help that I'd need to wait 18 months to get the minis from the Kickstarter. Whereas I could 3D print the small and medium minis, small pieces of terrain, furniture and the like in the next few hours if I needed them.

Could be those very comfortable with their 3D printers aren't the target audience anymore.

I have a 3D printer but I find it a PIA compared to just cleaning and painting a minis.  "Load the file.  Modify if necessary.  Save.  Print.  Inspect for failure.  Clean supports.   Cure."  All of that is the prelude to getting a successful print.  My patience ain't what it used to be so if I can grab a physical mini from one of a variety of companies that fits what I'm looking for, hey, I'm good with it.

There's nothing wrong with 3D Printing people who are happy with the process not backing Bones.  There is literally no way Reaper can compete.  The ability to reprint, to even say flip a model, to changes bases if necessary, to reprinted multiple copies, and the sheer depth of variety available means Reaper simply cannot compete.

It wouldn't be wise of them to try if they want to continue to be a company that specializes in selling physical minis.

• Like 5

For me, while 3d printing does contribute a decent chunk, it's also that I've done a heavy shift towards SciFi as my preferred thing to paint, and that isn't Reaper's area of strength.  Dragons are definitely lovely, but there's just something enjoyable about SciFi, Mecha, and those hard angles that I absolutely love... 

• Like 2

On 4/5/2022 at 4:45 AM, Glitterwolf said:

Question

The only really large bases I've printed have been nearly vertical, simply because I was forced to with a 6" screen.  Neither of them warped, but I didn't do anything with them that I don't do with any other print.

12 hours ago, Olaf the Stout said:

I had so many minis from Bones 1-4 that I only got the pirate ship from 5.  Even without a 3D printer I don't believe I would have gone in very hard for 6.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Olaf the Stout said:

A little bit here, thou majority of this one, is "hey I have that already in metal." The one expansion that suffers the 3d blues is Green Griffon, as there is just too many things in that one, that you can get in 3d print or other companies right now. Overall thou the entire KS is kinda eh for me right now.

6 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

It's not an STL pile of shame, it's a resource library! ::D:

I call it finding lost treasure, myself.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, jadeite said:

My spend has been down from Bones 3 onwards. Bones 1 and 2 I backed the core set, plus a lot of optional buys. Probably $300 each time.

Bones 3 and 4 were my lowest spends of the 5 Kickstarters. Bones 3 was about $120 of paints, weapons, terrain and a couple of cool minis. Bones 4 was $80 of dragons and a half dozen optional buys.

Bones 5 was back up to about $200. I got a heap of dragons, some really cool optional buys, plus the Dark Depths expansion (which is probably the coolest Bones expansion I've seen to date).

16 hours ago, JoeGKushner said:

Could be those very comfortable with their 3D printers aren't the target audience anymore.

I have a 3D printer but I find it a PIA compared to just cleaning and painting a minis.  "Load the file.  Modify if necessary.  Save.  Print.  Inspect for failure.  Clean supports.   Cure."  All of that is the prelude to getting a successful print.  My patience ain't what it used to be so if I can grab a physical mini from one of a variety of companies that fits what I'm looking for, hey, I'm good with it.

There's nothing wrong with 3D Printing people who are happy with the process not backing Bones.  There is literally no way Reaper can compete.  The ability to reprint, to even say flip a model, to changes bases if necessary, to reprinted multiple copies, and the sheer depth of variety available means Reaper simply cannot compete.

It wouldn't be wise of them to try if they want to continue to be a company that specializes in selling physical minis.

Yeah, I think you're right. Between the fact that the Bones 1-5 I own covering off all the basic monsters and me owning a 3D printer, I'm no longer the target market for the Bones Kickstarters. I also think you're right that Reaper shouldn't be trying to compete for the business of the 3D printer owners as it's likely to lead to failure for them.

I guess that realisation is a bit sad for me.

11 hours ago, haldir said:

A little bit here, thou majority of this one, is "hey I have that already in metal." The one expansion that suffers the 3d blues is Green Griffon, as there is just too many things in that one, that you can get in 3d print or other companies right now. Overall thou the entire KS is kinda eh for me right now.

Yeah, I was disappointed with the Green Griffon expansion. It probably doesn't even favourably compare to what I already own from the Mantic Terraincrate and the various other tavern terrain I have from various companies, let alone some of the stuff I have STLs for. There's just not much to differentiate it from every other tavern set out there.

12 hours ago, Auberon said:

I had so many minis from Bones 1-4 that I only got the pirate ship from 5.  Even without a 3D printer I don't believe I would have gone in very hard for 6

The funny thing is that getting a 3D printer finally made me get stuck into painting some of the Bones minis I've had sitting around for many, many years.

• Like 4

I petered out on Bones 5. I had a full pledge at one point, then downscaled it to $1 to get pledge manager access later. Then never did anything with the pledge manager access. Part was because I never had the funds to actually go in on it. Near the end of the pledge manager is also when I got my first printer. I haven't purchased a physical mini since then. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Illithar said:

I petered out on Bones 5. I had a full pledge at one point, then downscaled it to $1 to get pledge manager access later. Then never did anything with the pledge manager access. Part was because I never had the funds to actually go in on it. Near the end of the pledge manager is also when I got my first printer. I haven't purchased a physical mini since then. 

The Dragons from Bones 5 were what got my money there. Not getting them all was probably the hard part.

Even with a 3D printer, I’d be tempted by them as really big minis are still limited by the build plate size on 3D printers (and I only have a Mars 3, not a Saturn or Jupiter).

• Like 3

Woooohoo, my Nevermore Resin I printed fits in the Mars 2 Pro!  Now to just do all the fun legwork over the weekend to partially disassemble said printer so I can power the fan.  It's going to be nice to have actual carbon filtration in there - I just wish I didn't have to do delicate machine surgery to pull their stock carbon filter that doesn't do much. 

• Like 2