3D Printing General Discussion (merged)

Anne

Anyone ever print out/use Asgard Rising figures/terrain? Curious to why they have magnet slots incorporated into the bases. I picked up a couple of broken tombs & such. There is no reason to have those slots (or at least I don't see why).

• Like 2

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

46 minutes ago, haldir said:

Anyone ever print out/use Asgard Rising figures/terrain? Curious to why they have magnet slots incorporated into the bases. I picked up a couple of broken tombs & such. There is no reason to have those slots (or at least I don't see why).

I believe it is so you can transport your figures using something like the Magna Rack system.

20180417_151505__49514.1586979324.jpg.b20df460d48d84573fbd22bf12e0a08a.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Auberon said:

I believe it is so you can transport your figures using something like the Magna Rack system.

20180417_151505__49514.1586979324.jpg.b20df460d48d84573fbd22bf12e0a08a.jpg

Makes sense.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, haldir said:

I printed a few of their conifer bases.

They do have those magnet slots, I guess like Auberon mentioned for transport or storage on magnetic sheets.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

I printed a few of their conifer bases.

They do have those magnet slots, I guess like Auberon mentioned for transport or storage on magnetic sheets.

I was thinking maybe something to do with their figures (modular, other, etc etc). Good idea at least.

• Like 2

Here goes nothing...  Working on a seven hex HexHog frame, so here's hoping my eyeballs match up to what I was planning for...  Version 2 I'll figure out how to get rid of the extra OpenLock connector slots that aren't being used.

20220520_061733.thumb.jpg.559584f42c5523b730f8148879295f9d.jpg

^First layer of v1 design

20220520_060907.thumb.jpg.59e8c61999395ed6f01c1fdffc79022d.jpg

^What I'm aiming to replicate (messy desk and parts bin not included)

• Like 6

I need your help people..

As some of you may have noticed I had some gaps in some of my prints.

I figured it had something to do with using too hot water to clean.

Turns out it doesn't.

Today I printed a 75mm square base and it came out like this, with several gaps.

All before cleaning or removing supports.

In hindsight, my human sized minis all turn out great, the bigger minis/bases that need a printing time over 7 hours all had some gaps.

I can repair it but what causes this?

I did level the printer before printing this base, I have tested the LCD screen a few times which gives perfect squares every time.

I print on a Basic Elegoo Mars using Elegoo Grey Resin.

Here are my settings and a pic of the base.

If anyone can give me some pointers what causes this and how to fix this I will be most grateful

You will become an honororay member of WOOF if you fix this,..

20220520_201621.jpg

Schermafbeelding 2022-05-20 203640.jpg

Schermafbeelding 2022-05-20 204234.jpg

Schermafbeelding 2022-05-20 204220.jpg

Schermafbeelding 2022-05-20 204246.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I need your help people..

As some of you may have noticed I had some gaps in some of my prints.

I figured it had something to do with using too hot water to clean.

Turns out it doesn't.

Today I printed a 75mm square base and it came out like this, with several gaps.

All before cleaning or removing supports.

In hindsight, my human sized minis all turn out great, the bigger minis/bases that need a printing time over 7 hours all had some gaps.

I can repair it but what causes this?

I did level the printer before printing this base, I have tested the LCD screen a few times which gives perfect squares every time.

I print on a Basic Elegoo Mars using Elegoo Grey Resin.

Here are my settings and a pic of the base.

If anyone can give me some pointers what causes this and how to fix this I will be most grateful

You will become an honororay member of WOOF if you fix this,..

20220520_201621.jpg

Spit-balling a few ideas...

As an alternative to the usual screen test have you tried a tank clean? Do it without the vat and all that on, but it should show a fully open/lit up screen. Sometimes this can reveal dead/bad pixels that the regular screen test wont.

Are there any damaged or foggy parts on the FEP?

Have you printed this base before? Maybe there are voids/resin traps in it?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Illithar said:

Spit-balling a few ideas...

As an alternative to the usual screen test have you tried a tank clean? Do it without the vat and all that on, but it should show a fully open/lit up screen. Sometimes this can reveal dead/bad pixels that the regular screen test wont.

Are there any damaged or foggy parts on the FEP?

Have you printed this base before? Maybe there are voids/resin traps in it?

I haven't printed this base before, but I had the same problem with a few other minis.

Foggy parts on the FEP..Yes! I will change it. I usually only do that when it seems to be ( almost) damaged).

I also noticed that my LCD screen had some dust/specs on it, cleaning it.

I haven't time now to fix it, going on a small vacation for a few days, will tackle this when I get back.

By the Tank Clean.. you mean I should remove the tank and have the machine "print" without the VAT /Resin?

But won't the build plate then hit my LCD screen and damage it?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

By the Tank Clean.. you mean I should remove the tank and have the machine "print" without the VAT /Resin?

But won't the build plate then hit my LCD screen and damage it?

A lot of resin printers have a clean tank function to remove any bits of hardened resin stuck to the FEP. You do it with resin in the tank.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KruleBear said:

Are you printing flat or at what angle. Have you tried it with all three weights of supports and had the same issue?

I always print at an angle. In this case the presupported version and I checked for islands and added a few medium supports as well 

6 hours ago, Olaf the Stout said:

A lot of resin printers have a clean tank function to remove any bits of hardened resin stuck to the FEP. You do it with resin in the tank.

That is not the issue I actually cleaned/emptied the VAT between the walrus and that base, both got gaps. The FEP does have some cloudy spots, I have cleaned the LCD. Maybe it might help. Not home now, will be back wednesday. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I always print at an angle. In this case the presupported version and I checked for islands and added a few medium supports as well 

That is not the issue I actually cleaned/emptied the VAT between the walrus and that base, both got gaps. The FEP does have some cloudy spots, I have cleaned the LCD. Maybe it might help. Not home now, will be back wednesday. 

So if the angle is point down (as opposed to edge down), it really looks like when I tarted getting week spots in my LCD. Do the holes in the bottom edge goal the way through?

Maybe put the same base in several spots on your build plate and see if you see a pattern to the failure. Best of luck. 

• Thanks 1