3D Printing General Discussion (merged)

Anne

@Illithar @KruleBear

I got home today.

Turns out the Elegoo Mars ( not the Pro or 2...just the first type) does NOT have a tank clean function.

I can only use the Exposure Test that needs to form a rectangle.

So first I cleaned my LCD.

Then I replaced my FEP.

I ran the Exposure test and it shows the rectangle but I notice two small black spots in it.

Is this a sign I need to replace the LCD now?

I did have gaps running through a big base and some gaps in the walrus before.

The 28/32mm Minis I printed before those were fine.

20220524_145405_LI - kopie.jpg

• Like 3

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

48 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

@Illithar @KruleBear

I got home today.

Turns out the Elegoo Mars ( not the Pro or 2...just the first type) does NOT have a tank clean function.

I can only use the Exposure Test that needs to form a rectangle.

So first I cleaned my LCD.

Then I replaced my FEP.

I ran the Exposure test and it shows the rectangle but I notice two small black spots in it.

Is this a sign I need to replace the LCD now?

I did have gaps running through a big base and some gaps in the walrus before.

The 28/32mm Minis I printed before those were fine.

20220524_145405_LI - kopie.jpg

Sadly, those do look like some dead spots on the screen. Looks like it's time for a replacement.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Illithar said:

Sadly, those do look like some dead spots on the screen. Looks like it's time for a replacement.

Well I thought so, thank you for confirming.

I do have two spares and found some Youtube vids on the subject, will tackle the replacement tomorrow or Thursday depending on my time.

These Vids look helpful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8xDvq3QbVw&list=PLvI90K-6J317Bp2ftI3XlC56m4UExCN9M&index=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x5KbFi14ms&list=PLvI90K-6J317Bp2ftI3XlC56m4UExCN9M&index=4

Let's hope this non tech Wolf will be able to pull it off without killing the printer

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 5

It's a daunting task for someone unsure on doing it, but once you do it, you'll be "Oh, wow, that was easy!"

I think had actually used a Anycubic branded LCD when I changed the one my S, I'd probably still be using that one. Thou, I will admit, I've had more successes with the Phrozen mini 4k, then I ever did with the S, so I guess it was win-win situation for me.

Good luck with your swap.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well it appears my fix didn't last. The print I tried this morning came up like the one on Saturday morning. So, I got 2 good prints before it crapped out on me again. Sigh, I really didn't need this to happen right now. I'm at a lost for words on what is going on. Ultimately, I'm sure a new LCD would be the fix-all solution, but again 124 bucks is something I really don't want to spend right now.

I'm gonna look into Phrozen's site & see if I can troubleshoot the problem first, but the prints I needed, I'll be outsourcing them unfortunately.

(Since I forgot to post this before I went looking, I did come across article: https://helpcenter.phrozen3d.com/en/content/why-can't-my-prints-stick-onto-the-build-plate-DRy8Y-p1yrO-7ThmH-RfzaB. I'm beginning to wonder if this might be my solution. Thou, I've never had adhesion problems before & I've actually have sanded my plate using a article I found on MMF. I may need to do that again, it appears.)

• Sad 1

@Illithar@haldir@KruleBear

And everyone interested...

I replaced the LCD screen on my Mars.

With the help of an instruction video on youtube it wasn't hard to do..

BUT..

Of course when I had replaced the screen and ran a test...I saw something that I thought I saw when installing the screen.

The first replacement screen was badly scratched and had a tear in it.

I might have stored something on the package once or maybe handled it wrong when installing, anyway...it was even worse then the one I needed to replace.

As luck has it, I had a second screen.

And now I replaced it and the test shows a perfect rectangle.

Going to print something today to see if it's good now and ordered a replacement screen in advance so I won't be out of one.

When replacing the screen for the second time I wondered why I had to remove the connector from the touch screen.

Thinking about it I didn't this time.

I just removed the front panel and made sure I could work on the screen and motherboard without having to fiddle with the Touch screen again.

Why? Because I found that the hardest part actually to fiddle that connector ribbon back in.

Since I seem to have a Motherboard version C, I don't need to remove the back panel or fiddle with it all that much.

So replacing it a succes with a twist of losing a second screen.

Now hoping this will print right.

I'm going with some AG minis since those have never failed on me before, hoping it will work and then I will be a happy wolf again.

Thanks all for the advice and motivation.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Question for a friend.  He just bought an Ender 3 v 4.1.  When assembling it he ran into problems with two screws that would not insert.  What is the best assembly instructions?

The instructions that came with it are very bad.  One is the illustrations of correct installation and improper installation that look to be identical.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ttuckerman said:

Question for a friend.  He just bought an Ender 3 v 4.1.  When assembling it he ran into problems with two screws that would not insert.  What is the best assembly instructions?

The instructions that came with it are very bad.  One is the illustrations of correct installation and improper installation that look to be identical.

Fat Dragon Games' youtube channel has some good info regarding fdm printer (espic Enders). You might try checking there.

• Like 3

On 5/18/2022 at 8:49 AM, Cygnwulf said:

How do you like the A case? I was considering grabbing one of those or one of the new ones from tablewar

I like it a lot.  The only complaint I have is that the trays are a bit rough and don't always slide in and out as smoothly as I'd like, but I have a 1st generation one, and I have heard that they have addressed those issues in the new versions.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

The screen works!

Perfect prints form Artisan Guild

In hindsight I printed the Draugr at 90% because I'm used to AG being a tad big, but I shouldn't have.

Oh well, one resurrected teenager it is..

20220525_210852.jpg

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 7

Who thinks the next 'big' thing in 3d printing is some type of centralized service that shows you where to get your stl files printed and shipped to you?  Something where you can upload your own files or take files form an existing company like Gumroad, MMF, Mini Hoarder, etc... and link it to the printing service and have them print it and send it off to you.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

The screen works!

Perfect prints form Artisan Guild

In hindsight I printed the Draugr at 90% because I'm used to AG being a tad big, but I shouldn't have.

Oh well, one resurrected teenager it is..

20220525_210852.jpg

Great to hear you got yours up & running again. Sucks about the screen, but at least your screen is relatively cheaper then mine (whenever I do change it out).

I need to fiddle with my printer tomorrow.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, JoeGKushner said:

Who thinks the next 'big' thing in 3d printing is some type of centralized service that shows you where to get your stl files printed and shipped to you?  Something where you can upload your own files or take files form an existing company like Gumroad, MMF, Mini Hoarder, etc... and link it to the printing service and have them print it and send it off to you.

I know in the discord for one specific patreon I follow I saw someone ask for suggestions on a printing service they could take their files from that patreon to and have them printed, and were told very firmly that they needed to re-read the terms of the license. 

That being said... there are lots of smaller 3d printing companies out there that do just this already.  You bring the file and have the rights to print it and we'll print it for a fee, but I know they have to be careful about stuff that might be i.p. infringement.  if Darth Mouse decides to go both barrels after people who profited off an ip infringement, the printing service might get caught up in that.

• Like 3

So the other day I downloaded Cura 5.0 for thr CR 6. Now I've owned a Ender 3 in the past & have used the older versions of Cura. Now after I loaded up thr CR 6 for printers, I got the following pop up & it won't reset like the blue button says. Any idea what is going on? There are no profiles loaded in 5.0. I download FDG's profiles & it won't load those due to config error.

20220526_132517.jpg

• Sad 3