3D Printing General Discussion (merged)

Anne

Nuke it from orbit, it's the only way...   

(Uninstall the prgram, remove it from registry and delete all files and folders belonging to it.)

Then do a clean install.

I posted over on Formware's forum recently, and they may introduce some sort of 'dead pixel map' function for resin printers, where you add the points manually, and the slicer will stop you from placing a model on that spot. Just what you need when you need to print out an army and the LCD isn't altogether, and the replacement is on a containership drifting somewhere in the Pacific... 

• Like 4

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Found this article in my inbox... 😄

Engineers at Stanford and Harvard have laid the groundwork for a new 3D printing system that doesn’t require an object be printed from the bottom up. ... The printed object is fully supported by the thick resin – imagine an action figure floating in the center of a block of Jell-O – so it can be added to from any angle. This removes the need for the support structures typically required for creating complex designs with more standard printing methods. ... The researchers focused a laser through a lens and shone it into a gelatinous resin that hardens when exposed to blue light. But Congreve and his colleagues couldn’t simply use a blue laser – the resin would cure along the entire length of the beam. Instead, they used a red light and some cleverly designed nanomaterials scattered throughout resin to create blue light at only the precise focal point of the laser. By shifting the laser around the container of resin, they were able to create detailed, support-free prints. Congreve’s lab specializes in converting one wavelength of light to another using a method called triplet fusion upconversion. With the right molecules in close proximity to each other, the researchers can create a chain of energy transfers that, for example, turn low-energy red photons into high-energy blue ones.

https://engineering.stanford.edu/magazine/there-better-way-do-3d-printing

• Like 7

16 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

Nuke it from orbit, it's the only way...   

(Uninstall the prgram, remove it from registry and delete all files and folders belonging to it.)

Then do a clean install.

I posted over on Formware's forum recently, and they may introduce some sort of 'dead pixel map' function for resin printers, where you add the points manually, and the slicer will stop you from placing a model on that spot. Just what you need when you need to print out an army and the LCD isn't altogether, and the replacement is on a containership drifting somewhere in the Pacific... 

Well attempted to fix this today. Since I had no files belonging to Cura 5.0, I uninstalled it, along with the download of Cura 5.0. Downloaded it again & did the install. I'm getting the same thing. This time around it wouldn't even let me choose what printer I have & it gave me the same pop up message. I did have Creality's version of Cura on my machine, so uninstalled that & did a new install, still nothing. I mean Cura 5.0, won't even let me delete/remove CR6 off the list,

After I uninstalled everything 5.0, I went ahead & downloaded the latest Creality version 4.8somethingsomethingsomething & it installed with no problems, so I have no idea what's wrong with 5.0 on my computer. I guess I'll just use the Creality version till they update to 5.0.

• Like 2

Ok, as I was trying to put the FDG profiles in the Creality 4.8 slicer, I came across a Ender3 profile  & deleted it. (how that was in there, I have no idea????).

I think I'm gonna try to re-install Cure 5 now. Hoping for the best.

Yah, that was a total fail.

• Like 2

Weird. I upgraded to Cura 5 a few days ago. All of my profiles transferred over with no problem. Printed a few small tanks to check it out but couldn't see any change in quality. I'm using a CR6. I've used other peoples Ender 3 profiles on my printer with no real issues.

• Like 2

Most likely, there's a corrupted file or registry setting that is causing havok with new installs.  

In addition to uninstalling, when doing a nuke job, you also want to delete the program folder, anything belonging to the program that's hidden in the C:\Program Data folder(it's a hidden folder) and any reference you can find in the Registry.   

• Like 2

The Elegoo Saturn 2 8K is available for preorder.

Dayum... looks nice.

Maybe next year - the Saturn S is serving quite well, and the Sonic Mini 4K for details.

But the 2 is looking like a last stop - serving both purposes.

But, dayum, that Saturn 2 looks good. And the price is reasonable - $600 - $500 for the preorder.

We have no complaints about the S - we have printed an entire army (or two... working on three... or four...) with the beast. If anything, the quality of the S is making the 2 look even more promising.

And I do mean no complaints - the S has become our workhorse.

The Auld Grump

• Like 4

Went ahead & sent what files I needed printed up with my outside printer. It's one of those things I didn't want to do it cause well I have a printer & I'm suppose to print them myself but I want them printed. I made up pregens based on the minis, so not having the mini kinda defeats the reason I made that particular character. It's around 40 minis (with about 11 of them being the same one & then x2 on around 6 of them. So quite a few files.

I know my printer guy will do a great job, he hasn't disappointed me in the past with the work he has done, so looking forward to seeing what comes my way.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, haldir said:

Went ahead & sent what files I needed printed up with my outside printer. It's one of those things I didn't want to do it cause well I have a printer & I'm suppose to print them myself but I want them printed. I made up pregens based on the minis, so not having the mini kinda defeats the reason I made that particular character. It's around 40 minis (with about 11 of them being the same one & then x2 on around 6 of them. So quite a few files.

I know my printer guy will do a great job, he hasn't disappointed me in the past with the work he has done, so looking forward to seeing what comes my way.

Is it a specific service you're using or just a friend?

I'm an apartment dweller and I don't think 3d printing is for me after doing it for a while.  The smell is a real problem with no where to really vent it.  Not as bad with some of the 'eco' friendly resins.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JoeGKushner said:

I'm an apartment dweller and I don't think 3d printing is for me after doing it for a while.  The smell is a real problem with no where to really vent it.  Not as bad with some of the 'eco' friendly resins.

He has a store front & is authorized to sell some prints (FDM & resin), but tbh, I'm not sure he is a licensed to print what I'm sending him. I've used his services before. & mostly before I had printers. I had him print up some Fat Dragon stuff for RCon  a few years ago  & the rest is history. He does a great job.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, JoeGKushner said:

I use the Nevermore Resin filter but to power it that also requires opening up your printer.  It cuts things down a fair bit while it's running (my Mars 2 Pro has a feature that vents into the room, which I've plugged mostly and then out the Nevermore Resin in), but it also needs replenishing on a semi-regular basis.  Doesn't do anything for when you lift the lid though. 

I have seen people use those indoor grow tents alongside giant carbon canisters but then you've got this giant tent and a reasonably large fan aaand the carbon filter. 

~~~

Ripped apart some of my Trident to confirm where the rattling was coming from, and yup, one of the races in my x linear rail was missing bearings, so that whole assembly has been replaced with a higher quality rail from Fabreeko, and I'll swap out the two for the y tomorrow since I was supposed to go to bed two hours ago...  Mobilux EP2 definitely has a strong smell, whew! 

20220529_222941.thumb.jpg.54ec9db6500758e337528c99b6286aa2.jpg

I'm also taking this opportunity to get the wiring sorted out for the dual Nevermore v5 Duo's (VOC control, as well as better air circulation in the chamber), and prep a wiring harness so I can do input shaping with the ADXL accelerometer.  Also worked out why on rare occasions the B motor mount would vibrate.  Turns out while trying to level my gantry I'd caused one of the bearing stacks to be ever so slightly tilted. 

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, haldir said:

I'd personally link to the original post...  Creality Cloud is full of stolen things, and Creality won't do anything about it (well, unless "ban/block anyone reporting it on Twitter" is considered doing something) https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4909561

• Like 1