3D Printing General Discussion (merged)

Anne

I don't have a mushroom problem, you have a mushroom problem!

Needed some basing materials for my Gloomspite Gitz, I may have gone a little overboard.  Turns out you can put a LOT of mushrooms on a Saturn build plate.  I ran them in different sizes so I could make some fun objective markers too.

20220628_084535a.thumb.jpg.0bd98286b3233adb2e364753d2a71703.jpg20220630_095711a.thumb.jpg.c87b8daa399e1ab50c4949559757fda0.jpg20220630_095705a.thumb.jpg.6bd6f413a305b3711c2a9c143333f551.jpg

all the ones glued to sprues are so I can prime them, since I'll be adding a number of them to models I've already painted, I need to pre-prime before gluing down.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, Olaf the Stout said:

6 months into this and it still blows my mind how awesome home 3D printing is.

2 days ago I decided I'd play a different Blood Bowl race next season, Old World Alliance. It's a mixed team made up of Humans, Dwarves, Halflings and an Ogre. It's also one of the few Blood Bowl races I don't already have a team for.

So I went through my STL files and found that I had Dwarf and Amazon teams from Torchlight Minis to use for the Dwarves and Humans. I've got a Halfling team from Punga Miniatures to use for the Halflings and some modular Artisan Guild Ogres that I can use to create a weaponless Ogre that will work perfectly. Comparing the images of the different sculpts, once painted they will look like they are a team.

So, despite 2 days ago not having a team for this particular race, I've been able to combine STLs from 4 different releases from 3 different companies to create a cohesive team. And I can have them printed up and ready to be painted by this weekend if I need.

How awesome is that? It's like I'm living in the future!

resize-cuadrado-full.jpg

resize-panel-todoa.jpg

Punga Halflings.png

Artisan Guild Ogres.jpg

Turning the lady ogre with the mohawk into a cheerleader? ::D:

That ogre sunbather is obviously just a fan. ::P:

Edited by PaganMegan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

I've been flipping back and forth between the 0.2mm and 1.0mm nozzles doing either minis or movement trays. Things had been printing nicely until this morning. All of a sudden I couldn't get any bed adhesion no matter how I adjusted things. Swapped nozzles, checked for clogs and tried different settings. Eventually decided it was the extruder not gripping enough. Tried tightening things up and buggered the screw. Tried removing the wrecked screw and buggered the little plastic block it goes into. Looked into getting a replacement and learned I'd need to get a whole new extruder to just get those 2 parts. Found out that an all metal extruder was cheaper than the plastic replacement so ordered it. Then because I'm a stubborn farm boy used to fudging pieces to make them work, I filed down the jammed block until it looked about the width it was adjusted at one other time I had it opened to clean. Put it back together and it's printing perfectly now. Only took me about 2 hours of frustration to get there. And there's no adjustment unless I want to file things more. It just needs to last until the new one comes but I likely won't change it until it quits working.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Zink said:

I've been flipping back and forth between the 0.2mm and 1.0mm nozzles doing either minis or movement trays. Things had been printing nicely until this morning. All of a sudden I couldn't get any bed adhesion no matter how I adjusted things. Swapped nozzles, checked for clogs and tried different settings. Eventually decided it was the extruder not gripping enough. Tried tightening things up and buggered the screw. Tried removing the wrecked screw and buggered the little plastic block it goes into. Looked into getting a replacement and learned I'd need to get a whole new extruder to just get those 2 parts. Found out that an all metal extruder was cheaper than the plastic replacement so ordered it. Then because I'm a stubborn farm boy used to fudging pieces to make them work, I filed down the jammed block until it looked about the width it was adjusted at one other time I had it opened to clean. Put it back together and it's printing perfectly now. Only took me about 2 hours of frustration to get there. And there's no adjustment unless I want to file things more. It just needs to last until the new one comes but I likely won't change it until it quits working.

Yeah, there's a lot of people out there in the 3d printing community (myself included) that are rather grumpy with Creality for even making the plastic extruder to begin with, much less including it as the component on the Ender 3 "PRO".  It seems like it's the first component a lot of people replace out of necessity instead of just a desire to upgrade.  They're very prone to cracking, weak filament grip, threaded inserts pulling out/dislodging, etc.  

Edited by Cygnwulf
  • Like 3

Overall I've been fairly happy with my CR6 SE but I did have the switch fail and now this. My only other big problem was having a large glob of pla cover the hotend when the print failed. I broke one of the tiny wires to the thermistor. Ah, makes me feel like I'm on an episode of Star Trek when talking 3D printer jargon. 😁 Haven't tried reversing the polarity on anything yet. Managed to solder it back together and then replaced the entire hotend because I couldn't get the tiny screws out. Not happy with tiny, weak screws that get wrecked instead of coming loose.

• Like 3

Well, finally decided to work on my Mini 4k today. After cleaning the vat & filtering the resin. I loaded up a file with some different settings from a friend of mine. Her setting have a bit more exposure on the initial layers, so hopefully that'll solve my adhesion problems. I did order/get some resin from Sunlu in, so if the Phrozen 4k bottle fails again (which I hope it doesn't as I really like that resin), I have that for something different.

Printed off a almost flat guard corpse. it took around an hour to print out, it actually came out! I think thou I over supported it, as it was a major PiTA to remove from the supports. Just too many of them, so it made it almost a solid ring under the print. While trying to cut & peel the supports off, I managed to snap the crossbow completely in half, sigh. I've done these types of corpses before (flat on the back, but detailed on the topside & I've just let the auto go & the back was rounded vs being flat, so I'll re-slice the file & give it anther try tomorrow). It's why I had so many supports under a relatively flat object.  also have some wine bottles, I might test as well. Those are a simple print, but if it goes wrong, clean up will be a paint as each bottle is only supported by 1 piece + the entire plate is covered in them.

I did decide to print anther mini I have, a Yuan-ti Mind Whisperer (human body with a cobra/asp head). Hopefully that one comes out if not, eh, nothing new right now. I guess I'll see when I wake up for work tonight.

• Like 2

What FDM printers does everyone own?

I’ve got a heap of awesome building and large terrain STLs that I’d love to print. Some of it will fit on my Mars 3, but I’m sure the resin cost of it will make me think twice about printing most of it.

I could print that sort of thing much cheaper on a FDM printer and it would be more durable as well. Not as detailed, but that’s not as important for larger pieces. 

From looking around, Prusa is regarded as the best, but has a hefty price tag to go with it. Creality and Elegoo have well regarded FDM printers at much more reasonable price points.

The “standard” FDM printer build plate seems to be 22cm x 22cm, which is 3.8x the size of my Mars 3 (and about 6x the total build volume of my Mars 3 when you add in the higher Z axis).

The Elegoo Neptune 3 is being released in a month or so and will probably retail at about 80% of the cost of my Mars 3.

The “big” FDM printers have a 30cm x 30cm build plate, which is 7x the size of my Mars 3 and up to 16x the total build volume with a 40cm Z axis!

However they range from around the same price as a Mars 3, to up to double the price.

Plus FDM printers generally allow you to print bigger stuff as you can build directly on the build plate, rather than on an angle.

On the down side, they require more tinkering and maintenance than resin printers. On the up side, you can have them inside and not worry about any fumes, toxic to handle material, or the need to cure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Olaf the Stout said:

What FDM printers does everyone own?

I’ve got a heap of awesome building and large terrain STLs that I’d love to print. Some of it will fit on my Mars 3, but I’m sure the resin cost of it will make me think twice about printing most of it.

I could print that sort of thing much cheaper on a FDM printer and it would be more durable as well. Not as detailed, but that’s not as important for larger pieces. 

From looking around, Prusa is regarded as the best, but has a hefty price tag to go with it. Creality and Elegoo have well regarded FDM printers at much more reasonable price points.

The “standard” FDM printer build plate seems to be 22cm x 22cm, which is 3.8x the size of my Mars 3 (and about 6x the total build volume of my Mars 3 when you add in the higher Z axis).

The Elegoo Neptune 3 is being released in a month or so and will probably retail at about 80% of the cost of my Mars 3.

The “big” FDM printers have a 30cm x 30cm build plate, which is 7x the size of my Mars 3 and up to 16x the total build volume with a 40cm Z axis!

However they range from around the same price as a Mars 3, to up to double the price.

Plus FDM printers generally allow you to print bigger stuff as you can build directly on the build plate, rather than on an angle.

On the down side, they require more tinkering and maintenance than resin printers. On the up side, you can have them inside and not worry about any fumes, toxic to handle material, or the need to cure.

I've got a Creality CR-6SE. What I've been able to print from it, I've liked. I'm having issues with the bed & prints, but overall it's a nice printer. I do have a modded Ender 3 as well. The Ender 3 is well worth the money for them, especially if you are going to just terrain & stuff with it.

Also, fdm printers do give off fumes, but they aren't as bad as resin does. They do require more tinkering like you said. I've had this one ever since they released them from their kickstarter & I haven't had it fully printing more then a few hours. Thou that is more or less me being lazy on fixing or trying to figure out why it's not printing right then the actual machine itself.

• Like 2

While the Prusa is more expensive, it does come with a few quality of life upgrades like mesh bed levelling and a higher quality extruder/hotend, which are rather handy things to have..  But I also don't have a Prusa, I have a Voron Trident. 

Love my printer, and while it does work well, it probably does fall into the range of more tinkering than one would expect, even though it does handle more like a workhorse than anything (partially because I went that direction with it.  Not as fast, but rugged and reliable with basic maintenance). 

Can't really say much o nthe lower priced ones, but they seem popular enough.  The Neptune series seems to be more well regarded though, as Creality over the past year and a half has seriously dropped the ball with quality control, and has been steadily making silent, unannounced changes to their lines (like removing some of the core features that were on the Ender 3 Pro, for example, or using pressed on gears for the extruder) 

• Like 1

Well, broccoli.  I know what holes like that mean.  Looks like the screen in my Saturn is finally starting to go kaput.  I was hoping I'd get a whole year out of it, but I only made it 9 months......

20220705_085124.thumb.jpg.baee7b19e4be2a2662315c109e5af09c.jpg20220705_085128.thumb.jpg.4c9945ed7e2ca4aff8c736d13aef4611.jpg

• Sad 5

Replacement + extra ordered order arrived today! Pieces still have the sticky feel (must be the way he cleans, as there is guy who sells 3d prints at the FLGS & all of his pieces are sticky), but a dunk in Denatured Alcohol & cure in the WnC & everything is fine.

Really good stuff this time around. Thou I've just did the initial look but the order is not as big as the other one. My printer guy does a good job & I'm very thankful for him printing these out for me. Hopefully, my printer is working fully again, as I just got down curing a print I made last night, thou the supports are kind of a pain to get off now, I wonder if that is due to the settings now?

10 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

While the Prusa is more expensive, it does come with a few quality of life upgrades like mesh bed levelling and a higher quality extruder/hotend, which are rather handy things to have..  But I also don't have a Prusa, I have a Voron Trident. 

Love my printer, and while it does work well, it probably does fall into the range of more tinkering than one would expect, even though it does handle more like a workhorse than anything (partially because I went that direction with it.  Not as fast, but rugged and reliable with basic maintenance). 

Can't really say much o nthe lower priced ones, but they seem popular enough.  The Neptune series seems to be more well regarded though, as Creality over the past year and a half has seriously dropped the ball with quality control, and has been steadily making silent, unannounced changes to their lines (like removing some of the core features that were on the Ender 3 Pro, for example, or using pressed on gears for the extruder) 

Yeah, I did some more Googling last night and it seems like Creality have gone downhill in recent times and are still trying to coast on their previous reputation that they no longer live up to.

• Like 1

One of the pregen minis for RCon this year. Drow (or half-drow) Druid of Spores  really a cool mini by Twin Goddess. I hope to print her myself someday.

16570610024775685393522005000112.jpg

16570610257984375478162964070447.jpg

• Like 5

So the cat ranger finished about an hour ago & this one wasn't using my friend's setting, so who knows what was going on. All I know is this had supports that were a PitA to get off as well. I'm not sure what's going. I think later this week I'm gonna get a fresh batch of Denatured Alcohol, as my current batch is starting to smell & I'm getting a sound whenever I use the fan.

Hopefully 3 successes in a row, means I'm back to printing again.

• Like 1