Jump to content

3D Printing General Discussion (merged)


Anne
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 11/28/2022 at 2:27 PM, Olaf the Stout said:

 

I just had a quick look at them now. Is there a particular brand you use as it doesn't seem like Elegoo make an NFEP.

 

I'm assuming the benefit of them is they release better and last longer?

 

I have EPAX nFEP on both my printers and they work pretty well. I can't speak to comparative longevity though as I replaced the factory FEPs. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the coolest red dragon STL you've come across?

 

Since I'm getting a Saturn 2, I figured it was a great opportunity to stretch my wings, so to speak and print something big. A big red dragon seems like the obvious choice.

 

I've got this one from TPK Labs this month. It's a nice looking model, but it doesn't have me doing a double take at the coolness of it. On the plus side, I can just squeeze the whole dragon onto my Saturn 2 build plate at 100% scale, so I can print it as a single piece (with the base as a separate piece).

 

1856692138_TPKLabsRedDragon.PNG.c72edb4de91e8a285ff11f094c79da94.PNG

 

Lord of the Print have several absolutely gorgeous looking red dragon STLs in various sizes. However, even the younger dragons come in about 10 pieces and it seems like people have had trouble with matching and filling the join lines and ensuring the join is strong enough (as there are no pegs or anything, it's just a smooth, straight cut).

 

I also have this one from RN Estudio. I like the look of it, but it also split into 10 pieces,. It does have join pegs at least.

2105916368_RNEstudioRedDragon.thumb.PNG.17543ddbe21e13917b9a7d6b06d607d6.PNG

 

Surprisingly, beyond that, I haven't come across too many red dragon STLs at all. I thought they'd be super common, but maybe I'm just bad at looking.

 

Edit: I've also seen the red dragon STLs by Miguel Zavala (MZ4250). While it's awesome that he releases those (and hundreds more) STLs for free, they don't have that level of detail I'd like for such a showpiece mini.

Edited by Olaf the Stout
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, I've got a few of the MMM releases. The do some cool stuff. The closest they have to a red dragon is this Charizard-inspired dragon (which I have as my son loves Pokemon). I don't  mind pose 1 for a red dragon, but I'm not a fan of the bulby tail for a true red dragon.

 

The other dragons you posted are also cool looking (and I have an awesome black and forest dragon lined up to print too), but I want this first one to be a red dragon.

 

 

513681996_MMMRedDragon2.thumb.PNG.bc290e7fd5a10bab1e20bceb74fef06a.PNGon

Edited by Olaf the Stout
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Olaf the Stout said:

Yeah, I've got a few of the MMM releases. The do some cool stuff. The closest they have to a red dragon is this Charizard-inspired dragon (which I have as my son loves Pokemon). I don't  mind pose 1 for a red dragon, but I'm not a fan of the bulby tail for a true red dragon.

 

The other dragons you posted are also cool looking (and I have an awesome black and forest dragon lined up to print too), but I want this first one to be a red dragon.

 

 

513681996_MMMRedDragon2.thumb.PNG.bc290e7fd5a10bab1e20bceb74fef06a.PNGon

Derp. I thought you were just looking for dragons in general. Sleepy reading comprehension :P.

 

I have put together several things from Lord of the Print, and with the exception of the platform on the back of the brachiosaur, I've never had any major issues. They hold together just fine with superglue and any gaps were easily filled. Printing something that big that is hollow is going to have some amount of warping.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Illithar said:

Derp. I thought you were just looking for dragons in general. Sleepy reading comprehension :P.

 

I have put together several things from Lord of the Print, and with the exception of the platform on the back of the brachiosaur, I've never had any major issues. They hold together just fine with superglue and any gaps were easily filled. Printing something that big that is hollow is going to have some amount of warping.

Nah, all good. I wasn’t sure if I was clear about it. A red dragon just feels “right” for my first dragon to print. It’s just your classic dragon.

Cast and Play have 6 dragons in next month’s release, so I’m hoping their red looks awesome.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What resin is everyone using for their Saturn 2?

 

I've only ever used Siraya Tech ABS-Like Fast mixed with some Tenacious., but I'm tempted to give the Elegoo 8K resin a try to see if it's any good.

 

I'm not so sure about the 8K part of it. I'm not sure what's so special about 8K printers over 4K printers that would require their own special resin. Sounds like marketing hype to me,, but it's the same price as the Siraya Tech ABS-Like Fast, so it's not like I'd be paying a premium for it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, haldir said:

... All the other minis are sized way to big, like probably 35mm. It must be a European thing (since most makers are from Europe it seems), as it seems like European made stls are always bigger vs US ones. The figures said D&D ready thou, so who knows. Oddly. the only one came out was made by Miguel Zveda (artist here in the US).

 

I think a useful feature in a slicer would be a background height scale, visible when you're looking in the X - Y plane. It would save a whole lot of that messing around with loading and then deleting a reference figure to check the print size of miniatures.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Olaf the Stout said:

What resin is everyone using for their Saturn 2?

 

I've only ever used Siraya Tech ABS-Like Fast mixed with some Tenacious., but I'm tempted to give the Elegoo 8K resin a try to see if it's any good.

 

I'm not so sure about the 8K part of it. I'm not sure what's so special about 8K printers over 4K printers that would require their own special resin. Sounds like marketing hype to me,, but it's the same price as the Siraya Tech ABS-Like Fast, so it's not like I'd be paying a premium for it.

Resin's marketed as '8k' or '4k' just have higher pigmentation to reduce any light bleed. I've been using SirayaTech Fast Navy Grey on the Saturn 2 with great effect.

20221020_145454.thumb.jpg.4ec4810947d480459c6dac0caab0d126.jpg20221020_145511.thumb.jpg.3a3e051408783f9d87dea1a1f16e5a40.jpg

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MojoBob said:

 

I think a useful feature in a slicer would be a background height scale, visible when you're looking in the X - Y plane. It would save a whole lot of that messing around with loading and then deleting a reference figure to check the print size of miniatures.

I think I need to do what my friend does and have my own Sir Forscale STL. He has a particular STL that he uses to compare the size of STLs in his slicer software.

1 hour ago, Illithar said:

Resin's marketed as '8k' or '4k' just have higher pigmentation to reduce any light bleed. I've been using SirayaTech Fast Navy Grey on the Saturn 2 with great effect.

 

So basically, if you're painting your prints, it makes zero difference as you generally won't see any light bleed under several coats of paint, regardless of your resin.

 

Ok, I think I've picked the red dragon I want to print now. Cast n Play's red dragon wins for me. I like the look of their green dragon too.

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xacxIjbayEQ

Edited by Olaf the Stout
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Olaf the Stout said:

So basically, if you're painting your prints, it makes zero difference as you generally won't see any light bleed under several coats of paint, regardless of your resin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xacxIjbayEQ

More or less yeah, it's just marketing shenanigans. Even if you aren't painting them, you probably wont notice unless you whip out a jewelers loop.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...