3D Printing General Discussion (merged)

Anne

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, ttuckerman said:

I took the plunge.  Bought a Creatly LH-002H Resin printer.  Waiting for the Wash and Cure station to get back in stock to run it.

Well, if you want to go while waiting on that, there's the tried and true, Uncle Jesse's seal of approval, Lock&Lock Pickle Bucket to wash: 

image.png.202fe2b7f294a97c2b77b869b3ed30ab.png

then you just cure on a sunny window sill

• Like 4

Just now, Cygnwulf said:

Well, if you want to go while waiting on that, there's the tried and true, Uncle Jesse's seal of approval, Lock&Lock Pickle Bucket to wash: 

image.png.202fe2b7f294a97c2b77b869b3ed30ab.png

then you just cure on a sunny window sill

That looks like a perfect initial rinse bucket.... 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

If anyone is wondering or considering it, Phrozen's new Sonic Saber is freaking fantastic; well worth the money, IMHO.  Slices through supports like butter.  Also removes mold lines from Bones with ease.

How it is better than using other electronic hobby tools? 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Inarah said:

How it is better than using other electronic hobby tools? 

I don't know, I guess it would depend on the tool.  What it is is a hobby knife connected to an ultrasonic oscillator running at 40,000 hertz.  When you turn it on, you can't even tell that it is running, unless you touch something with the blade, then it just cuts through without effort. To remove supports, I place the blade where I want to cut and hit the button, it instantly and cleanly shears through the support, no slicing on my part.  Works similarly on plastic mold lines.  The downside is that it cuts so effortlessly that it is easy to overcut and gouge your detail if not careful.

I have not yet cut myself with it, but assume it is only a matter of time.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I don't know, I guess it would depend on the tool.  What it is is a hobby knife connected to an ultrasonic oscillator running at 40,000 hertz.  When you turn it on, you can't even tell that it is running, unless you touch something with the blade, then it just cuts through without effort. To remove supports, I place the blade where I want to cut and hit the button, it instantly and cleanly shears through the support, no slicing on my part.  Works similarly on plastic mold lines.  The downside is that it cuts so effortlessly that it is easy to overcut and gouge your detail if not careful.

Oh the dreaded cutting yourself.  Memories of the mandolin slicer come to mind.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

If anyone is wondering or considering it, Phrozen's new Sonic Saber is freaking fantastic; well worth the money, IMHO.  Slices through supports like butter.  Also removes mold lines from Bones with ease.

It looked interesting until I saw the price tag.  Someday, should I ever decide to work through my mountain of Bones, I might consider it. Oh how I hate those mold lines. I generally don't have a problem removing supports though, which makes it harder to justify spending the money.

26 minutes ago, JoeGKushner said:

Oh the dreaded cutting yourself.  Memories of the mandolin slicer come to mind.

One of my dad's friend had to go to the emergency room because he sliced the tip of his finger off with one of those.  I've always been careful with mine, so no injuries thus far.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

yeah, I saw the ks or early ad or something for this thing a while back and that was my first thought "Oh yay, a tool I can cut myself EVEN WORSE with."

• Like 3

I was looking for a way to speed up my support cutting and clean up process, since I process all the Dark Sword masters.  I thought this might be a ticket to speeding me up.  It didn't really speed up the support removal, but does let me remove the support very accurately and cleanly so that I need far less sanding and cleanup of the model afterward.  It is a tool like the Wash and Cure that I originally thought was kind of gimmicky and unneeded, only to get it and start using it ALL the time.

I also got a bundle sale deal from Phrozen on their cure beam lights and UV putty.  I have yet to use them, but will report when I do.

• Like 8

On 12/8/2022 at 8:28 AM, TaleSpinner said:

Good news to hear that about that. I know you & I discussed this at ReaperCon this year. The makers of the Wondercutter have a KS for a new version that peaked my interest (the CtrlAX) but of course the cost was a huge factor in not backing. I can see myself using a tool like this thou, with resin models, styrene model kits, etc etc.

• Like 2

On 12/8/2022 at 1:28 PM, Auberon said:
On 12/8/2022 at 9:28 AM, TaleSpinner said:

It looked interesting until I saw the price tag.  Someday, should I ever decide to work through my mountain of Bones, I might consider it. Oh how I hate those mold lines. I generally don't have a problem removing supports though, which makes it harder to justify spending the money.

It occurs to me that I am not buying myself any kind of expensive Christmas present this year. Money to burn... 🤔

• Like 1