3D Printing General Discussion (merged)

Anne

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, chaosscorpion said:

Okay, so what's with the section of wall, log, and boulder on his gear harness about?  It looks cool but...are they just a  "few of his favorite things"?

I would think they are piecemail armor. The boulder is probably the "generic rock" that all giants seem to have so they can toss it a the PCs.

Damn, it appears I didn't get this when I joined earlier this month. As the link leads to nothing. I read the post he is in & says a folder that doesn't exist anymore as it appears this was August's release for his Patreon. I like MB's stuff but he doesn't put out all of product per month, so I've never joined as a regular subscriber. I will be cancelling later today.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, chaosscorpion said:

Okay, so what's with the section of wall, log, and boulder on his gear harness about?  It looks cool but...are they just a  "few of his favorite things"?

It's meant to be a proxy for the "Cygor" for Warhammer Beastmen armies.  Like...well, all Warhammer minis, they have random baggage but Cygors are pained by nearby magic and are constantly seeking out and destroying nearby magical sites and terrain and keeping trophies.  

image.png.3898e939849cb23dece286ba57df4096.png

• Like 4

Proud of my printing problem solving tonight. I had an almost an entire print bed of prints fail (one row of models printed out of about 8).

I initially thought the issue was too much suction as the bed was pretty full. However, after doing a tank clean, I realised that the cured resin from the tank clean was much more transparent than usual. I then remembered that I had added some extra Tenacious resin to the vat before printing as I thought it needed a little more.

What happened was that, instead of mixing in with the other resin, it sunk to the bottom. Tenacious by itself has a much longer exposure time in order to harden. So my programmed settings underexposed the pure Tenacious and the prints failed.

So I reprinted the same print bed a second time and it came out perfect without a single fail. Lesson learned for next time. Mix resins in the bottle, not in the vat.

• Like 8

I found a mini that I printed a year ago had exploded, leaving uncured resin everywhere. Fortunately it was an unpainted mini that was in a sealed zip-lock bag by itself. So no mess to clean up and no real harm done.

Just went back and checked the STL. Yep, the creator had hollowed the mini, but not put in any drain holes.

I was super lucky that I hadn't wasted any time painting the mini and also that it was stored in its own zip-lock bag. It could have been so much worse otherwise.

• Like 6

17 hours ago, Neatpete said:

They have some cool stuff. I picked up their September tribe and things printed up nicely. I’m painting two of carts now. The talisman with the green gems is a single piece as well as shattered 4. It’s pretty neat.

image.thumb.jpeg.d9a711d1e81d61b70dd15f9fde92b875.jpeg

Yah I've printed up a few things from them before. Heck, I think they might have been some of the first stl files I purchases, ha ha.

Pretty cool about the water wolf, if the player(s) don't attack it, it may end up as a companion to one of them. Water elemental stats but in wolf form.

• Like 4

On 10/9/2023 at 3:04 PM, Olaf the Stout said:

Not necessarily. There could be a number of reason for that. For example, it could be an unlevel bed, an issue with your resin or something else like your minis being sliced sitting in mid-air (accidentally did that several times).

You just have to work through and rule out the issues one by one.

Haven't had time to look at this more but would the temperature of the resin possibly be an issue because we had a bit of change in weather and I hadn't turned on the heater in my printing room.   In any case it happened with a file that had printed before so it's probably not that.

• Like 2