3D Printing General Discussion (merged)

Anne

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thinking about how close to an ideal setup the following would be.  Comparing to an Ender 3 that I can't be bothered to get printing and a Photon Mono.

• Something like a P1P or maybe Creality K1.  Good results without much tinkering for some nicely detailed and robust terrain.  Also should be able to do large monsters and vehicles..
  • Next to that a kind of filament dryer to keep things nice when the printer spends months unused.
  • Something like a Saturn 3 Ultra.  Combination of more resolution than needed with a decent size on the build plate.

Both printers are faster than I realistically need.  They have Wifi which I like mostly because I always worry that the first thing to fail will be the USB/SD card reader.  In short besides wishing the cheaper Bambu printers had a better screen, or conceivably wanting a bigger bed on the FDM printer, I can't think of what I'd want to upgrade, and then I ask; "why not spend the money now?"  Which is always a dangerous state of mind.

OK, slightly more thought:  A vat heater would be nice and maybe an auto fil for the resin.  There is definitely are move to bring more features and more convenience to consumer level printers but these take a while to go mainstream.  

Does anyone think there is a reason to get an enclosed printer to print with something besides PLA?  Anyone use a filament dryer?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, lowlylowlycook said:

Huh, Saturn 3 Ultra isn't really on sale for Black Friday but the GK Two is on sale...

But then I've talked myself into a $700 printer which is just madness.

Madness with a good carbon filter (and they actually sell refills), drip lip on the build plate, and flippy up cover all built in...  Plus the sort of resin heater that's in there too... 

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 1

I was going to complain about enabling out of enabling season but I guess these are Black Friday sales so fair enough.

I'm a sucker for sales.  Ordered a P1P.  You could just tell that people that 3D printed for minis or terrain instead of for the hobby of tinkering with 3D printers LOVED them.

By the same logic I should order that GK Two...

Edited by lowlylowlycook
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lowlylowlycook said:

I was going to complain about enabling out of enabling season but I guess these are Black Friday sales so fair enough.

I'm a sucker for sales.  Ordered a P1P.  You could just tell that people that 3D printed for minis or terrain instead of for the hobby of tinkering with 3D printers LOVED them.

By the same logic I should order that GK Two...

My friend bought one of them, he's not really someone who likes to tinker with his printer, and he loves that this thing holds his hand the entire way. Also, there's a lot of Quality of Life features built into it.

• Like 2