3D Printing General Discussion (merged)

Anne

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cura seems to be most popular choice. Fat Dragon Games is a big supporter of that one. Since for some reason my computer has a ghost of Cura, it won't let me upgrade to the latest version of it. I just use Creality's slicer the last time I used my CR6.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/18/2023 at 6:17 AM, lowlylowlycook said:

LOL I was typing on my kindle.  What I should have said was "So is high speed pla filament a thing?"

There are some specifically aimed at high speed printing that are coming to market but most are still in the testing stages.  Then again, I don't really pay much attention to such because I print at "only" 125mm/s, but with acceleration varying from 2-5000mm/s.  Acceleration is where you'll get the main decreases in overall print time (well, unless you're printing larger things, where overall speed does play into things more). 

My printer is easily capable of printing at 150-200mm/s and even higher acceleration, but with such its also capable of trying to yeet itself off the table 😛

19 hours ago, lowlylowlycook said:

What do people like to use for slicing for FDM printers.  Should I give Bambu Slicer a go or maybe switch over to PrusaSlicer or Orca right away?

Also after a few years of just resin printing it's going to be hard to resist just filling up the build plate.  

I use SuperSlicer myself, but that's mainly because it has a bunch of nice things, despite it not having some of the conveniences like organic supports that PrusaSlicer and Orca have.  SuSl has per feature/function acceleration control though, which is rather handy - being able to drop the acceleration down for outer perimeters helps with higher quality surface finishes ^_^

In the end though, I say use whichever slicer works well for you.  In this day and age, most of the Slic3r based slicer are great, as is Cura. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Corsair said:

High speed filament is a nice idea, but I am satisfied with just finding some that is reliable and not fussy. Some of the cheap stuff I tried did not last as long and showed many feed problems.

This is pretty much why I'm more than happy using 3dFuel Pro PLA (Ingeo 3d870), Replitech PLA (uses Ingeo 3d850 although their site hasn't restocked for some time, hope they're still in business), and will be starting to buy PLA from my main ABS supplier Matter3d, as they use Ingeo 3d850 as well.  I love just how conssitent products made with that base work, but they tend to cost more.  Just don't use it in a Prusa with a stock heat break, as the taper they have in theirs for better compatibility with the MMU will cause issues due to its semi-crystalline nature. 

I also rather like Polymaker's Silk PLA and ABS.  My setup can regularly push 20-24mm^3/second if need be, yet I generally print in the 15-18mm^3/second range. 

Plenty of good brands out there, I just went with whatever was easiest for me to acquire (and preferably had free shipping) 

• Like 3

OK, more questions from me.  Sorry.  

Who makes some really good trees? My FLGS could use some but I think something without flock would be best.

From what a gather a filament dryer is probably overkill for PLA.  Has anyone got a solution for storing spools with some desicant  to share?  Is it worth while to try and print directly from such a box?

• Like 1

So, trying to get the vat off my Saturn this weekend, seems like I must have had a leak or something and it ran into the bolts, I cannot get either tank bolt to turn loose. One of them the plastic knob on top has turned loose and it just spins on top of the bolt now.....

I suspect I may have to end up drilling them out and tapping new holes. I'll be putting studs in if that happens....

• Sad 4

4 minutes ago, lowlylowlycook said:

Who makes some really good trees? My FLGS could use some but I think something without flock would be best.

I like the look of the ones Thunderhead Studio has in his HexTech Terrain Tiles, but those are probably a stiff price for just trees (doubly so the fact they're aimed at BattleTech hex play, and of course work well with the rest of the HexTech line) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, lowlylowlycook said:

OK, more questions from me.  Sorry.  

From what a gather a filament dryer is probably overkill for PLA.  Has anyone got a solution for storing spools with some desicant  to share?  Is it worth while to try and print directly from such a box?

Do you have a vacuum? Put your spools with the desiccant in it & the seal the bag or if anything, just stick the spool in a big ziplock with the desiccant. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, lowlylowlycook said:

Got to say I'm liking this "universal" black friday code on MMF.  It was a hassle to track down each code for previous sales.  

Yah, that is nice. Oddly they put the code (& copy link) on each page vs the other way for sales. I don't think it would have been as much of a hassle.

So LoTP got me. I'll drop em before the 29th of course. I guess the big piece is what I really wanted & 10.00 for that & so much more, yah no brainer there.

720X720-mousin-thegreatowl-attack-helmet

• Like 5