3D Printing General Discussion (merged)

Anne

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

34 minutes ago, lowlylowlycook said:

So far just popping the minis off into the pre-wash is working without too much mess.  I guess I could try to find a suitable basket.

Depending on the size of what you're printing, those square pickle containers with the strainer seem popular enough for a pre-rinse container... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Depending on the size of what you're printing, those square pickle containers with the strainer seem popular enough for a pre-rinse container... 

Previously, with my little Photon Mono,  I had been dunking the models into the pre-wash while they were still on the build plate.  That minimized splashes and mess.  For instance I find that to get minis off the plate I often get resin on my gloves as I try to get leverage.  

In other news, I managed to find the increase in exposure needed to safely print with the Art-Engineering resin.  I was worried that the supports would be harder to remove with more exposure but instead they were easier to pull off.  Shows what I know.

• Like 3

Comparison between Art-Engineering (left) and Siraya Fast ABS-like:

Last_Elves_JangHe_Test_2.jpg.f0267ced5a50e82a9837a97586f5dd2b.jpg

Similar to original Bones, I think the slight translucence of the ABS like hurts the perception of detail.  I'm about to prime them for a more fair comparison but honestly the A-E resin might be worth using just for the feeling of pulling what looks like hard plastic minis out of your printer.

But the opposite of the Bones lines, the darker mini is much more flexible.  Enough so that I'd slightly worry about printing spear men.  Definitely worth an experiment.

Now a question:  For larger minis, like a gryphon or dragon would people recommend something more flexible for durability or something stiffer so the long supports are more likely to hold together? It's not like the ABS like is fragile.

• Like 3

OK, either I don't like the translucent green art-engineering resin or I don't like Chitubox Pro's auto medium supports or I don't like switching resin and assuming that the settings should be similar because the manufacturer's recommended exposure is similar.  Don't know which though.

A few months of Chitu-Pro came with the printer so I'm giving it a try.  Things are moved around but I guess I should get used to it OK.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, lowlylowlycook said:

OK, either I don't like the translucent green art-engineering resin or I don't like Chitubox Pro's auto medium supports or I don't like switching resin and assuming that the settings should be similar because the manufacturer's recommended exposure is similar.  Don't know which though.

Worse that any of these is the fact that apparently my GKTwo's light source isn't working.  Had a print produce absolutely nothing on the fep, plate or in the vat.  Neither the vat cleaning mode or the built in exposure test produced anything.  Bah.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, lowlylowlycook said:

Worse that any of these is the fact that apparently my GKTwo's light source isn't working.  Had a print produce absolutely nothing on the fep, plate or in the vat.  Neither the vat cleaning mode or the built in exposure test produced anything.  Bah.

I wonder if a connection became loose during shipping.

• Like 2