Jump to content

3D Printing General Discussion (merged)


Anne
 Share

Recommended Posts

This may sound odd, but I just had the most satisfying experience removing pre-supports from printed minis.

 

I printed the Realm of Paths Chaos Blood Bowl team. Every single pre-support printed perfectly and stayed attached to the mini while printing.

 

However, when it came time to remove the supports, I was able to take all of them off in one go that took literally 2 seconds. Not a single piece of pre-supports were left attached to the models and there was absolutely no scarring either.

 

I was so impressed that I've already emailed the creator to ask who they use to do their pre-supports because I want to learn their secrets for when I have to do my own supports. I've dealt with both good and bad pre-supports before, but nothing as amazingly good as these.

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welll... New saturn 8k printer finally unboxed and set up on the bench in the garage. I moved my printers to the garage from the spare bedroom last summer, but broke the screen on the saturn back in early november. Black friday sales were so great I went ahead and just upgraded the printer instead of repairing it, but since I had a garage rearrange coming and there were christmas presents to make with the woodworking, I waited to unbox.

Last night I unboxed it, put it on the bench, poured some VERY thick and cold (8 degree C) resin into the vat, put my belt heater on it, cover back on, and went back inside to warm up.  Checked on it a coupel of hours later and it was only up to 11 degrees.  forgot about it until about half an hour ago when I went back to check on it.  Up to 16 degrees now.   Historically with this resin it doesn't perform below 25 C.... 
 I may not be printing until Texas decides it's done with it's week of winter....

Edited by Cygnwulf
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Cygnwulf said:

Welll... New saturn 8k printer finally unboxed and set up on the bench in the garage. I moved my printers to the garage from the spare bedroom last summer, but broke the screen on the saturn back in early november. Black friday sales were so great I went ahead and just upgraded the printer instead of repairing it, but since I had a garage rearrange coming and there were christmas presents to make with the woodworking, I waited to unbox.

Last night I unboxed it, put it on the bench, poured some VERY thick and cold (8 degree C) resin into the vat, put my belt heater on it, cover back on, and went back inside to warm up.  Checked on it a coupel of hours later and it was only up to 11 degrees.  forgot about it until about half an hour ago when I went back to check on it.  Up to 16 degrees now.   Historically with this resin it doesn't perform below 25 C.... 
 I may not be printing until Texas decides it's done with it's week of winter....

Grats on the new printer! I have the same one. I print in my garage as well, but break it down in the winter as my garage does get very cold.

I would be careful leaving your printer in those kind of temps, although 8C isn’t too bad. Forget how the resin performs, your components and screens are not designed to freeze.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Neatpete said:

Grats on the new printer! I have the same one. I print in my garage as well, but break it down in the winter as my garage does get very cold.

I would be careful leaving your printer in those kind of temps, although 8C isn’t too bad. Forget how the resin performs, your components and screens are not designed to freeze.

yeah, 8c is the coldest I've ever recorded in my garage, it was around -10 C outside at the coldest the last few days, which is about as cold as it ever gets here, and we seldom stay where for long.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/17/2024 at 4:34 AM, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

The Hued Horny Helmet Horde is going well so far (file by PEK_ANDREI on Cults3D, if anyone wants to see his selection).

 

20240116_191436.thumb.jpg.1a26a645a08db2cd764ced4691a42426.jpg

 

Thanks for the add on the maker. I think I'm gonna have to order those or the skulls to fit on top of my Speedpaint bottles. Great paints, just allot of them look the same until you get onto a white surface.

 

So, I'm looking into my stash of model kits & I've come across some ( I wonder why I stopped building it), but after doing a inventory of the kit, it appears I'm missing a couple of vital parts to it - steering column & steering wheel + this one is a convertible, so yah, you kinda need those! I went to one of my go to overseas hobby store & they had wheels but no column & the wheels were mostly racing style wheels. I thought well maybe the 3d file sites will have something & lo behold Cults has something that might work. Price is only 3.something so yah I think I'll give it a whirl. Oddly, first time I've used the 3d printing community for my models.

 

s1.png

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So I was gonna purchase that steering wheel & horny helms, but  figured I'd look to see what else I couldn't live with out & I found this that might be of interest to people. If you have the current Citadel/GW pots, these might be of interest to you:

 

https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/game/battletech-snap-on-paint-swatches-for-citadel-paints-presupported

 

(totally free, no commercial links on that page).

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I finally put my Cults3d order in!! That Audi wheel & column I think are gonna be a perfect replacement for the missing ones. Looking forward to seeing it printed out! I picked up a 1/24 scale tachometer, as I need one for a prostock racer & aftermarket wants like 5 to 8 bucks for a metal one. Also picked up a couple of paint pot texture thingees. I did the horny helms & I also did one that had a bunch of things to show textures & such:

 

Swatch-Cap-Photos-10.jpg

 

I'm not a fan of the dropper style bases, but I do like the pots ones (better then the free one I linked above, tbhwy). Looking forward to printing these up as well.

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Brother Jim said:

When I first scrolled down and saw the picture, I thought the books were high rise buildings.

Yah that base take a bit to get used to, that's for sure. While I don't turn my caps by the tips, I think it would get annoying trying to open the bottle with that style on there.

 

So I really don't have a need for these now, I think I may have to pick em up next time there is a % off sale at MMF:

 

720X720-bushidousagi-battlebunnies-01.jp

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, sheep....I came home from game night tonight, hoping to only have an hour left a 8 1/2 hr print on my Mighty4k. I told my wife if she goes to bed, she might hear it go off (the done buzzer) as somehow it reset itself back to on sound position, She then said "oh you mean the loud rumble, we heard earlier?" So I go upstairs to check & again, the printer plate was suspended just barely over the vat but still in the resin & had printed up to a point. Also, it had a print percent of like 14% but obvious, it wasn't done. At least time it wasn't bobbling up & down...... (my last attempt to print with this printer, the plate was in the same situation, but it was bobbing up & down on the axis)

 

Anyone know what is going on? I was able to print with the printer before, but the prints were hard to pry off, now I can even get a plate to print........wasted resin is all I'm getting now.

Thanks

 

 

  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, haldir said:

Well, sheep....I came home from game night tonight, hoping to only have an hour left a 8 1/2 hr print on my Mighty4k. I told my wife if she goes to bed, she might hear it go off (the done buzzer) as somehow it reset itself back to on sound position, She then said "oh you mean the loud rumble, we heard earlier?" So I go upstairs to check & again, the printer plate was suspended just barely over the vat but still in the resin & had printed up to a point. Also, it had a print percent of like 14% but obvious, it wasn't done. At least time it wasn't bobbling up & down...... (my last attempt to print with this printer, the plate was in the same situation, but it was bobbing up & down on the axis)

 

Anyone know what is going on? I was able to print with the printer before, but the prints were hard to pry off, now I can even get a plate to print........wasted resin is all I'm getting now.

Thanks

 

 

 

 

Obvious things:

 

Relevel.

Make sure the printplate is well secured if it can wobble a bit it will do so during printing.

The printer is on a secure/solid underground? ( don't really know how to explain, but for example if a washing machine is close by it could cause unwanted movement.

Room temperature is ok for the resin?

Are the files corrupted?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's a packed build plate. While I've gotten away with it many times, I feel like each one of those is d100 roll to fail at 1%. 

In addition to the usual, check mechanical as well. got lube? Sure it's not too cold out there in your garage? Did you have a power blink?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

 

 

Obvious things:

 

Relevel.

Make sure the printplate is well secured if it can wobble a bit it will do so during printing.

The printer is on a secure/solid underground? ( don't really know how to explain, but for example if a washing machine is close by it could cause unwanted movement.

Room temperature is ok for the resin?

Are the files corrupted?

 

I think I've printed with this printer maybe less then 10 times, but working with Phrozen semi/sorta help email, I'm gonna re-level, clean, re-lube the screw but they think it might be the USB stick (came with the printer, but it's a Sandisk brand). Also they also think it may be the setting I've used. Soooo I'm gonna download their testing files & try those out with a new usb stick & such. Also, I actually did see if the table I put the printer on was level before setting up my station upstairs, so yah it's on a solid base.

 

10 hours ago, Neatpete said:

That's a packed build plate. While I've gotten away with it many times, I feel like each one of those is d100 roll to fail at 1%. 

In addition to the usual, check mechanical as well. got lube? Sure it's not too cold out there in your garage? Did you have a power blink?

 

Well, that plate wasn't what I printed. I've sliced up a bunch of files over my time off. Also my Mighty is upstairs not in the garage, with the fumes I'm not taking a chance of that mixing with the furnace.....:blink: Z-axis has been lubed. No power blinks, I have no idea why, but again twice in a row this has happened, just slightly different results.

 

Also, as I was heading to bed last night, I found out what made the loud thump. It wasn't the printer, some things slipped off a overcrowd bookshelf. My wife probably heard the book hit the floor, which in the case is a good thing!! While I was able to lift everything that was "printed" on that plate, I hope the NFEP sheet won't need replaced. Those things are too expensive for just a couple of successful prints.

 

In a way, I kinda regret getting the Mighty4k, as the Mini has been such a successful printer for me. I just wish it had the bigger plate for bigger stuff.

 

At least I'm having this problem now & not later in the year, as what I've sliced up are ReaperCon game stuff. Oddly, I'm actually starting early this year with mini printing/painting. I see how fate is!!! :lol:

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...