3D Printing General Discussion (merged)

Anne

So with tester files. You just slice them & then print them like a regular stl (or in my case ctb) file? Time it'll take is 30 min on & 1 1/2 hours on the other. I've looked how to decipher each. Hell at this point, I just want prints.

I've also used a built-in setting in Chitubox for the Mighty4k (I'm using standard Sunlu *beige (more or a pale flesh color, so yah..... :poke: but they had a setting for it). I've re-leveled the plate, de-greased the Z axis screw & re-lubed with WD-40 Dry lube spray. Files are on a new 16gb USB 2.0 stick like Phrozen suggested too. Sad thing, Wallyworld only had their brand (I think) Onn in that size/2.0. 

*Reason for the beige is that was a color that was still available when Sunlu had a bulk sale last time I bought resin. I figured it was light enough that primer colors wouldn't take a ton of to cover vs say a green or red resin.

• Like 3

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I finally got around to cleaning up the Mighty so I could test those testers. There was little printed pieces on the NFEP (maybe 4 small pieces that easily pried up).  What made me think was what happened in the print itself. I've attached pics

Ok, looking at these, I'm pretty sure it's the USB stick goin south. If you look there is the file I started with, in this case a huge (aka 3 inch base) dire shark started. You can see the the tail & then the other part is the base. I also tilt my bases 90 degrees to print, cause I can. :B): Anyways, after that you see the the support bases of the big plate I actually showed earlier. The long supports are the for the dire shark, they just end in the start of the support bases for the multiple pieces I sliced in a different file.

Ok then?!

As I've never have had a usb stick fail ever, I have no idea what it might look like in 3d printing, but looking at this, looks like a good sign of that. BTW, that's the beige color I posted earlier. It's a bit whiter in the photos but it's a pale flesh color in real. :lol:

I should know if the printer is back up running in about an hour. In the meantime, I did post processing on the mini4k's plate I printed the same day. I used that dark grey resin that has been giving me problems with the Mighty4k. No problems other then supports were a little hard to get off on a mini, but as I was able to just pull off some on a older Artisan Guild figure, I'll chalk that up to that figure having difficult supports.

20240126_124606.jpg

20240126_124547.jpg

20240126_124146.jpg

20240126_124136.jpg

20240126_124132.jpg

20240126_124128.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Olaf the Stout said:

There’s no harm in testing the USB as a variable. Just save and print the same file on a different USB and see if the problem persists.

Well I can say I had a successful test print!!

Now I get to decipher the thing. I also printed the other tester Phrozen has as well (or at least I need to go see if it printed, should be the 30 min one).

I did slice up a tester using my previous setting as well. I think right now I just want prints, so I may hold off on that one. I wanna try that dire shark again.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Neatpete said:

Strange! It does totally look like it just started printing a completely new file.

Go home printer USB stick, you’re drunk.

Fixed that for yah!! ha ha

It was the USB stick, as I've printed both testers & when I woke up this morning, I noticed I had my dire shark & base. I have to admit, I'm liking this beige resin. I like grey resin, it's neutral for whatever you wanna use it, but I have to admit, I'm taking a likin' to this color.

Shark & base were easy to remove from the supports, so it appears I've found a setting I can settle on for awhile & then tweak it later, if needed. Right now, I'll take the prints vs wasted resin.

Spent better part of the day, re-doing the sliced plates of prints I made for the Mighty this morning as well.

• Like 5

Just cut all my empty resin containers in half so the tiny bit I couldn’t get out the bottle could cure and I could dispose of the bottles safely.

When they say UV resin has an exothermic reaction, they aren’t kidding.

I had nitrile gloves on and I could feel the heat generated on the outside of the bottle from a tiny amount curing in the sun on the inside of the bottle I just cut open.

That would definitely leave a nasty burn if you had some on your skin, didn’t realise and went in the sun.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

I now have a new toy that holds the incomparable power of the Sun! I cannot tell you how useful this has already been.

20240206_214531.thumb.jpg.6faf3a9544d271c844d254861d51a5da.jpg

Build a light box if you already haven't. Just take a box & line the inside with aluminum foil. Next stick print inside on a rotating disk (example: UDIYO-Solar-Display-Stand-360-Degrees-Ro)

& you have a small, but portable cure box. The platform above is only like about 10 bucks, supposedly it's solar powered, but I was never able to get to power up (also uses 2 double A batteries). I used this setup before my wash N cure machines. Pretty effective.

Sigh, came home from work late this morning (thanks to just 2 of us on the crew last night....anyways), but I noticed my mini's platform had only raised about halfway from the vat. I did my usual pre-clean stuff & I noticed one of the prints was laying in the vat. Everything else was still on the plate. So I just used the basket option on the WnC + I threw that loose piece in there as well. I knew I was gonna have to clean up the vat, so I remove the resin & noticed a ding & pretty significant one in the NFEP sheet. It was pretty much right where the mini was when it came loose, so the plate must have came down & knocked the print into the nfep before it lifted or whatever. Either way, I need to replace the sheet. I go to find my sheets (remember I noted I had 2 packs with about 5 sheets total to use) & I can't find the damn things!?!?!? Not in my usual two spots, so I just placed a order with Big River for anther pack....sigh. Now that I order, I'll find em, which is good as the mini is out of commission until Friday.

What's worse, is I just got a Big River order in yesterday, as my daughter needed a few things for a cosplay costume she is in the process of making. Oh well, 1st world problems, I guess.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, haldir said:

Build a light box if you already haven't. Just take a box & line the inside with aluminum foil. Next stick print inside on a rotating disk (example: UDIYO-Solar-Display-Stand-360-Degrees-Ro)

& you have a small, but portable cure box. The platform above is only like about 10 bucks, supposedly it's solar powered, but I was never able to get to power up (also uses 2 double A batteries). I used this setup before my wash N cure machines. Pretty effective.

Sigh, came home from work late this morning (thanks to just 2 of us on the crew last night....anyways), but I noticed my mini's platform had only raised about halfway from the vat. I did my usual pre-clean stuff & I noticed one of the prints was laying in the vat. Everything else was still on the plate. So I just used the basket option on the WnC + I threw that loose piece in there as well. I knew I was gonna have to clean up the vat, so I remove the resin & noticed a ding & pretty significant one in the NFEP sheet. It was pretty much right where the mini was when it came loose, so the plate must have came down & knocked the print into the nfep before it lifted or whatever. Either way, I need to replace the sheet. I go to find my sheets (remember I noted I had 2 packs with about 5 sheets total to use) & I can't find the damn things!?!?!? Not in my usual two spots, so I just placed a order with Big River for anther pack....sigh. Now that I order, I'll find em, which is good as the mini is out of commission until Friday.

What's worse, is I just got a Big River order in yesterday, as my daughter needed a few things for a cosplay costume she is in the process of making. Oh well, 1st world problems, I guess.

Already have a Wash & Cure station, so I'm good there. I got this one because I have a jug of used IPA that I needed to cure so that I can re-use it, and it always takes weeks to cure it under the Sun that doesn't always appear. After a couple hours  under this UV light, the jug was far clearer than it had been in 2 weeks. And I can also use it to cure junk supports before I garbage them.

• Like 3

Wow, I hope I never have to replace the vat on the Mini4k.....

Saw on big river site there was a vat for the Mini8k & it had handles (something I've grown accustomed to with the Mighty4k printer). I saw that this vat was compatible with the mini & I looked at the price - 120 bucks (YIKES!!) that is half the cost of the printer! :blink:

At least there is something as I did have the original vat in my wish list just in case something happened, but it's been OoS for quite some time now.

• Like 2