3D Printing General Discussion (merged)

Anne

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in a bust "mood" right now. So I decided to look at my MMF library & download a few of them & sliced up a couple of plates of the ones I really like. I think I'll choose one of them for a ReaperCon entry this year. I also downloaded & sliced up a plate of Hags & accessories from Claymore. Apparently, I was a member before as I had a nice selection of stuff from about a year ago, including the 3 common types of hags in D&D.

I've thought about re-doing a night hag mini for my finale for the Rookery campaign that I'll run next month or April (taking my time deciding), but the BBEG is a night hag & her slaadi minions & I want the encounter to be memorable on the battle map & for my players. I noticed that Claymore really has some highly detailed textures in their minis....damn.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, haldir said:

I'm in a bust "mood" right now. So I decided to look at my MMF library & download a few of them & sliced up a couple of plates of the ones I really like. I think I'll choose one of them for a ReaperCon entry this year. I also downloaded & sliced up a plate of Hags & accessories from Claymore. Apparently, I was a member before as I had a nice selection of stuff from about a year ago, including the 3 common types of hags in D&D.

I've thought about re-doing a night hag mini for my finale for the Rookery campaign that I'll run next month or April (taking my time deciding), but the BBEG is a night hag & her slaadi minions & I want the encounter to be memorable on the battle map & for my players. I noticed that Claymore really has some highly detailed textures in their minis....damn.

I'm currently painting my first ever bust (a TMNT bust as a surprise for my son's birthday). I've definitely learned a lot from it, especially how much more I need to blend transitions (not much room to hide when the scale is so much bigger!).

• Like 5

In the midst of my bust slicing, I came across this piece I signed up as a Triber for a month, just to get this at a discounted rate:

720X720-mousin-thegreatowl-attack-helmet

To print the entire thing is 2 Mighty4k plates! I also chose both versions of the mouse, as I wasn't sure if I wanted him in his armor or just wielding his stick. I did opt for the owl to be armored (helmet & claws). It'll be a cool diorama once it's all put together.

• Like 4

So my wife came home from work & went to town, I came home & noticed I didn't slice my plates - one plate with the wings, tail & the legs will take 17 1/2 hours to print out. YIKES!!! The other plate with the base (2), head & the 2 mice bodies is 12 1/2 hours.

• Like 2

On Monday I ordered Sunlu Abs Like resin.

The Big River had two sizes at different prices.

One liter for $20.

Or

Two Liters for $19.99.

I made a mistake, I should have bought four. Those prices are no more to be seen. ::(:

I am really liking this resin.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, PaganMegan said:

On Monday I ordered Sunlu Abs Like resin.

The Big River had two sizes at different prices.

One liter for $20.

Or

Two Liters for $19.99.

I made a mistake, I should have bought four. Those prices are no more to be seen. ::(:

I am really liking this resin.

I use their regular brand & it's my go to brand now. They usually have bulk sales on their own site all the time. My last order was buy a min of 6 1 lt bottles & get em for like 15 or 16 each with free UPS shipping.

If I go with Big River, I generally order the 2 lt bottle. Thou that was before I got the Mighty printer.......

Fantastic price on the 2 lt thou, prob some sorta Lunar New Year special.

• Like 3

I've been tempted by the idea of a larger printer for a while, and even have a few projects that won't fit on the Mars 2.  So naturally my original idea was a Saturn 2 (or 3 if the price is close enough at the time)....  So why is it so tempting to get a Mars 4 Ultra aaaaand a Saturn 3 Ultra at the same time? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

I've been tempted by the idea of a larger printer for a while, and even have a few projects that won't fit on the Mars 2.  So naturally my original idea was a Saturn 2 (or 3 if the price is close enough at the time)....  So why is it so tempting to get a Mars 4 Ultra aaaaand a Saturn 3 Ultra at the same time? 

I get that, I'm still quite happy with my basic elegoo mars, but I'm thinking about a bigger build plate as well. A Saturn Ultra or similar printer is tempting.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

I get that, I'm still quite happy with my basic elegoo mars, but I'm thinking about a bigger build plate as well. A Saturn Ultra or similar printer is tempting.

After thinking on it a little bit, I'll probably keep the Mars 2 Pro for now, since it does what I want and I'm happy with the quality, but I'm going to add in a 10" format printer of some description.  So I think I'll look at the Saturn 2, or if I feel like stretching my budget something like the Uniformation GK-Two because it's getting a lot of good reviews, not to mention has a flip up lid, which will work better for the tent idea. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Olaf the Stout said:

I continue to lurch forwards towards buying an FDM printer. The quality of life improvements, like auto bed levelling and Klipper drastically improving print speeds continue to happen as does the number of Kickstarters for FDM STLs I find myself backing. 🤦‍♂️😂

I'm on my 3rd FDM printer, and am totally impressed with the improvements.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Olaf the Stout said:

The Saturn 2 is an improvement over the Mars 2 Pro, but the Saturn 3 seems to have several improvements that make it a much bigger leap forwards.

The speed boost alone makes it worth it for me.

For me, it depends with the Saturn 3 as to whether or not it's worth it.  The four bolt build tray is definitely nicer on the 3 Ultra, as is the light source, but I'd prefer to not deal with the weird fuzzyness of ACF film.  There is a slight resolution improvement (28.5 microns to 19x24 microns), but either of those are sharper than the Mars 2 Pro out of the gate, and I'm happy enough with what the Mars 2 Pro does. 

I may wind up going with the Uniformation GK-Two though just because I like some of the extras it has that will play better with being in a tent, like the flip up lid, heater, and latch release for build plate. 

5 hours ago, Corsair said:

I'm on my 3rd FDM printer, and am totally impressed with the improvements.

What have you found to be the most significant recent improvement(s)

4 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

For me, it depends with the Saturn 3 as to whether or not it's worth it.  The four bolt build tray is definitely nicer on the 3 Ultra, as is the light source, but I'd prefer to not deal with the weird fuzzyness of ACF film.  There is a slight resolution improvement (28.5 microns to 19x24 microns), but either of those are sharper than the Mars 2 Pro out of the gate, and I'm happy enough with what the Mars 2 Pro does. 

I may wind up going with the Uniformation GK-Two though just because I like some of the extras it has that will play better with being in a tent, like the flip up lid, heater, and latch release for build plate. 

You can swap the ACF on the Saturn 3 tank for a FEP/FEP 2.0.

• Like 1