3D Printing General Discussion (merged)

1 minute ago, Glitterwolf said:

Thanks,

Maybe in a year, maybe two.

We'll see, upside, by then the Saturn might be at a reasonable price.

Geez, what did you break in your house?  You've gone from buying 1 or 2 printers and STLs to a year or two from now...  Hope all is well!!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Far into the future, when our civilisation has ended and exists only as mere whispers of myths, Archaeologists will enter a forbitting cave and gingerly make their way into its depths.    There t

Always go with the Corgi!   Also I printed a thing! (6 sided die for scale )  

So, I was on the line with an EPAX rep the other day trying to determine if the X1-k would meet the print quality needs we are looking for to produce master copies (close but probably not quite).  Any

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Rahz said:

Geez, what did you break in your house?  You've gone from buying 1 or 2 printers and STLs to a year or two from now...  Hope all is well!!  

All is well, but it's too soon.

• Like 3

Well, I seem to have found a nice set of settings that work well on my Ender3. Tried a big run today with printing a Kodiak, Marauder and Shadowhawk at the same time. The light support setting seems to be the best one for 1:285 scale mechs for me. I want to thank you guys especially for all the help and advice.

• Like 6

Right,

I've talked about it all with my girl.

Turns out most was a misunderstanding of the situation on my part.

We've crunched some numbers and we agreed that I can get the printer.

I did cancel the kickstarters though, thought about it long and hard if I should re-pledge, but I've decided to not do that.

I have now ordered an Elegoo Mars through the Flashsale on Gearbest ( thx @Jasper_the_2nd!) I will use the funds for the KS to buy resin.

I've decided to be very picky about the files, the temples and all look awesome but I also need to consider storage and display room.

In the end I would probably only print a Dino or two from the whole KS and maybe just one of the smaller temples, same applies to the other KS, I would end up printing that jungle tree set and probably one snakeman.

So I will buy the STL's for those when they become available.

Good news, One 3D printer on it's way.

Now, what resin would you guys recommend for me to get for the Elegoo Mars I ordered?

And a question, I see everyone prints out that Rook STL which comes with the printer.

Is that necessary? Is that kind of a test print to calibrate it?

Or could I save the resin and start printing something I like?

Turns out my hobby room does have a window that can be opened so ventilation is less of a problem now.

Brutus will sleep through the sound, I just want to make sure the fumes can get out.

Maybe I will set it up in the cellar after all, need to see if that would work with the temperature.

If it needs to be in the hobby room, is there a possibility to attach a tube or something to guide the fumes out of the window?

Anyone has a solution for that, maybe with pics so this non-tech wolf can understand how to do it?

Thank you all for your support and advice!

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 6
5 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Right,

I've talked about it all with my girl.

Turns out most was a misunderstanding of the situation on my part.

We've crunched some numbers and we agreed that I can get the printer.

I did cancel the kickstarters though, thought about it long and hard if I should re-pledge, but I've decided to not do that.

I have now ordered an Elegoo Mars through the Flashsale one Gearbest ( thx @Jasper_the_2nd!) I will use the funds for the KS to buy resin.

I've decide to be very picky about the files, the temples and all look awesome but I also need to consider storage and display room.

In the end I would probably only print a Dino or two from the whole KS and maybe just one of the smaller temples, same applies to the other KS, I would end up printing that jungle tree set and probably one snakeman.

So I will buy the STL's for those when they become available.

Good news, One 3D printer on it's way.

Now, what resin would you guys recommend for me to get for the Elegoo Mars I ordered?

And a question, I see everyone prints out that Rook STL which comes with the printer.

Is that necessary? Is that kind of a test print to calibrate it?

Or could I save the resin and start printing something I like?

Turns out my hobby room does have a window that can be opened so ventilation is less of a problem now.

Brutus will sleep through the sound, I just want to make sure the fumes can get out.

Maybe I will set it up in the cellar after all, need to see if that would work with the temperature.

If it needs to be in the hobby room, is there a possibility to attach a tube or something to guide the fumes out of the window?

Anyone has a solution for that, maybe with pics so this non-tech wolf can understand how to do it?

Thank you all for your support and advice!

Not sure about the resin, as I use one produced locally in Australia so I don't have to deal with waiting for stock to come in etc. So I'll leave that for someone else to answer.

As to the Rook, that's a pre-sliced file that comes with the printer just so you can make sure it works. You can print something you want to make sure it works instead - I know my first print wasn't the rook...I think my first print was a 1/35th scale Browning M2 for a mate ;-)

Temperature wise you'd need to check the resin you get to see what it's recommended range is, with regards to venting it outside that's a definite option, there'll be instructions somewhere on how to do it, but I'm sure someone else here can provide you a bit more help on that though. It should just be a matter of putting an extension on the exhaust fan and then running that outside. Alternatively getting an air purifier with a carbon filter my be enough to clear the fumes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@ratsmitglied thanks, I prefer to use an extension on the exhaust because I rather not have another device.

If someone can show me how to do that in easy steps I would be very grateful.

I will probably need some advice when I start or run into troubles from you guys.

You've been most helpful, now hoping I can get the printer to work.

Very excited about it all.

One more thing, I've downloaded many free files from 3D cults/thingieverse etc.

How do I know if a file is good enough to really print?

Can one see that or is it trial by error?

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

@ratsmitglied thanks, I prefer to use an extension on the exhaust because I rather not have another device.

If someone can show me how to do that in easy steps I would be very grateful.

I will probably need some advice when I start or run into troubles from you guys.

You've been most helpful, now hoping I can get the printer to work.

Very excited about it all.

One more thing, I've downloaded many free files from 3D cults/thingieverse etc.

How do I know if a file is good enough to really print?

Can one see that or is it trial by error?

Doing some reading it looks like the mars may be a more closed unit than the photon, which should mean you'll only get fumes when you open it rather than all the time. This may help somewhat, as it may not be a problem at all

with the files, the only way to see if they're good enough to print is to open them in a slicer and see how they go. As you're getting a Mars, the Chitubox slicer is probably your best bet, and you can even start playing with them now to see what is good and what isn't. To check you load the file into the slicer, make sure it will slice and then do a layer check to see if everything is captured. Of course, anything you're not sure of I (and probably others here) would be happy to have a look and let you know what we think.

Sometimes you will hit something that looks ok but still fails, but with experience you'll learn what is good and what isn't.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Another question.

Spare FEP Film?

I have seen generic FEP Film to be available, but some is 127 micron, other is 100 micron.

It's compatible with anycubic, wanhao etc.

I figure that means it's compatible with Elegoo Mars as well?

As for Isoprpyl/Isopropanol 99,9 0r 99,7 % or what do I need?

EDIT: bought the 99,7%!

QUESTION:

When using the alcohol to clean a mini.

Do you thin it with water or undiluted?

Use a cloth or a sponge, what do you guys use?

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 1

Also ordered a replacement LCD Screen for future use and the fep film

image.png.f428dc0b00257e7fbb34095ac6a8310b.pngimage.png.c7c866bd40fee614bed8ac94017a9c04.png

I think I'm all set then.

Printer

Fep Film Spares

Lcd Screen Spare

Resin

I already own gloves and masks.

Only Isopropyl / Isopropanol to go.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 4
1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

Ordered this kind.

image.png.63ea290bd6d463be7719895f91ce14a6.png

That's a great choice.

I've also used Syria fast to good effect.

As for FEP, I'm 6 months in and still on my first so not much help there.

IPA - get a pickle bucket, (the kind with a strainer basket) and fill 'er up.  When the print is done and has finished dripping, hold the plate over the bucket and use the scraper to knock it loose and let it drop in.  Put the lid on the bucket and agitate the alcohol for a bit, then use the strainer to remove it and place it on some paper towels to dry.  I've dry, if you have shiny spots, repeat the process.

I use a two bucket system, the first bucket has the older alcohol.  Mini goes in there for a few shakes to get the worst off, then I move it to the cleaner alcohol that's better at getting the remnants off.   Depending on the print, I remove supports between the buckets, or after the second followed by an additional rinse.

I also keep an old soft toothbrush on the tray for stubborn spots

Don't dilute. You need over 90% or you'll get an annoying powdery residue on your minis.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • TaleSpinner changed the title to 3D Printing General Discussion (merged)
  • TaleSpinner pinned this topic