3D Printing General Discussion (merged)

I'm using the resin that came with the printer. It's trans green. I get prints or at least parts of prints. Nothing survives the entire printing process.

• Like 4
  • Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Far into the future, when our civilisation has ended and exists only as mere whispers of myths, Archaeologists will enter a forbitting cave and gingerly make their way into its depths.    There t

Always go with the Corgi!   Also I printed a thing! (6 sided die for scale )  

So, I was on the line with an EPAX rep the other day trying to determine if the X1-k would meet the print quality needs we are looking for to produce master copies (close but probably not quite).  Any

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, haldir said:

I'm using the resin that came with the printer. It's trans green. I get prints or at least parts of prints. Nothing survives the entire printing process.

(Whoops hit the wrong response). That is odd. I have had my best luck with the trans green. 

• Like 3

Just had to relevel the Ender3 again. Not difficult, but that new one that self-levels sounds neat.

Oh, Jasper, the .1 setting turned out a couple of very good looking Black Python mechs.

Edited by Corsair
  • Like 3

I suddenly have a fear!

I haven't printed anything yesterday.

Worked in the shed.

Cleaned a shrew's nest, worked with fast drying cement, removed droppings etc..

I laid on the floor (stone tiles) woth my bare arms.

Now yesterday evening I suddnely noticed an itch and both my arms have a rash.

I hope it was caused by the cement or maybe I came into contact with the shrew's excrement.

But..

Could it be caused by the resin?

I've heard about some people developing an allergy.

I always use nitryl gloves, a mask and I wear glasses when working with it.

The only time I touc uncured resin might be when I pick up a mini to put it in the Sun.

Been working with it all for what, a week or two?

Hope this isn't the case.

And why would it appear on a day I didn't work with it?

I guess when it's over, ( I'll see a medic if it's still there tomorrow) then I will have to see if it returns after handling the prints?

Thoughts?

• Sad 3

I think the resin has to come in contract with your skin, eyes, etc etc to effect you. I haven't had the problem as least, considering all the times I've pulled the vat out to drain it. I have R95 (not the N) & nitrile gloves thou, but I have handled prints without gloves while trimming off supports. (Well the pieces that survive the printing process.)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I haven't had any reactions from handling resin un-gloved - My guess would be that it was something in the Shrew's nest (probably the droppings) that you've reacted to...although cement can also cause that reaction (and I have had a mild reaction from cement)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Neither the PHoton nor the Mars should have any issues with warped print plates.   

Poorly tightened screws can cause issues, thogh... 

and on FDM printers you can get past slight warping by adding a 'raft' to the printjob. 

@haldir which printer do you have, again?   

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I suddenly have a fear!

I haven't printed anything yesterday.

Worked in the shed.

Cleaned a shrew's nest, worked with fast drying cement, removed droppings etc..

I laid on the floor (stone tiles) woth my bare arms.

Now yesterday evening I suddnely noticed an itch and both my arms have a rash.

I hope it was caused by the cement or maybe I came into contact with the shrew's excrement.

But..

Could it be caused by the resin?

I've heard about some people developing an allergy.

I always use nitryl gloves, a mask and I wear glasses when working with it.

The only time I touc uncured resin might be when I pick up a mini to put it in the Sun.

Been working with it all for what, a week or two?

Hope this isn't the case.

And why would it appear on a day I didn't work with it?

I guess when it's over, ( I'll see a medic if it's still there tomorrow) then I will have to see if it returns after handling the prints?

Thoughts?

And now I'm wondering about that spot on my arm.....I figured it was from working in the garage, but now I wonder......

• Sad 2
40 minutes ago, Gadgetman! said:

Neither the PHoton nor the Mars should have any issues with warped print plates.   

Poorly tightened screws can cause issues, thogh... 

As much as I wish that was true, I've seen tons of pictures in the facebook group and reddit of photons from the factory with plates as much as 1/4" out of flat (usually hollowed in the middle, but one or two were bowed out.) 

• Sad 3
11 hours ago, haldir said:

It might be an idea to get someone else with the same type of printer (I think the photon uses a different type of final file than the mars?) to send you a prepared and proven file to try? That's what I did when I was struggling to begin with, I had @robinhsend a couple of sliced files of stuff off thingiverse that he'd already successfully printed on his.  Of course then we determined that Maroon is evil, but once I switched colours those files worked perfectly.

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

And now I'm wondering about that spot on my arm.....I figured it was from working in the garage, but now I wonder......

Allergic to work, maybe?   

28 minutes ago, Cygnwulf said:

As much as I wish that was true, I've seen tons of pictures in the facebook group and reddit of photons from the factory with plates as much as 1/4" out of flat (usually hollowed in the middle, but one or two were bowed out.) 

1/4" out is... so bad that even a blind would notice.  

And I'm pretty certain that @haldir would have noticed something as bad as that. 

And the print would fail by either falling off, or by some part of it shifting so that you get a break in the middle somewhere.

21 minutes ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

It might be an idea to get someone else with the same type of printer (I think the photon uses a different type of final file than the mars?) to send you a prepared and proven file to try? That's what I did when I was struggling to begin with, I had @robinhsend a couple of sliced files of stuff off thingiverse that he'd already successfully printed on his.  Of course then we determined that Maroon is evil, but once I switched colours those files worked perfectly.

The Photon comes with a pre-sliced file on the USB stick. 

If the print falls off, use a raft and increase the exposure time of the first few layers. 

If it breaks up somehow, you increase the exposure time for the rest f the print. 

If the pre-sliced file also fails, use the 'settings'(gear icon) after you've started the print to change exposure time.   

Adding 10 seconds is a good start. (Nothing like a bit of overkill to get things started)

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Gadgetman! said:

Allergic to work, maybe?   

Heh, no my back is the part allergic to work ^_^

Weekend before last I built shelves in the garage, which meant picking up and lugging pretty much everything in there, then hauling and holding lots of freshly cut wood and plywood.  Any of which I could have scratched or rubbed against something that irritated my arm (I tend to not notice when I bump or bruise or scrap or cut myself while doing work like that, then find all the marks and such over the next week as the bruises show up).

I noticed the irritation the day after, I think, and assumed it was something like that.  Which it probably was.

But I'll be extra careful with resin the for the next little bit just to be sure.

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Cygnwulf said:

@haldir. I had a thought, have to checked your build plate to make sure it's flat?  Sometimes they can be warped and that can cause all kinda of problems.

I re-leveled everything like I was first opening the box yesterday. I found a file on myminifactory (using the link off Elegoo's website, as I wanted to know about those 2 grey resins). I think I'm gonna try that today.

Overall thou, my plate was perfectly flat, heck it didn't have a scratch on it when I first took it out of the box. (A little different now but more or less scratches, no gauges)

4 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

@haldir which printer do you have, again?   

Photon-S

• Like 3

Hmm,

As far as that allergic reaction goes, I didn't print a thing yesterday when I got it.

I did clean the Shrew's nest, did work with fast drying cement and I also remember now that I have been walking through plants and bushes in the front yard which all brushed against my arms.

anyway, while I painted another wall today,...:zombie:.... I let the Elegoo Mars print some more stuff.

Modular Oni ( Grunt B) with weapon and hand holding heads and base, and the base and weapons for the big lady Oni I printed earlier.

20200505_171729.jpg

20200505_171735.jpg

• Like 4
  • TaleSpinner changed the title to 3D Printing General Discussion (merged)
  • TaleSpinner pinned this topic