3D Printing General Discussion (merged)

Anne

16 hours ago, Cygnwulf said:

LOL, at this point I have more STLs than I can PRINT in the next 2 years, much less paint.  This is like mini hording on steroids.....

If you're going to paint it anyway (eventually) then I say stick with what works. :D

In other news, I was gifted a spool of rainbow filament for my birthday and I'm trying to come up with things to use it for.  I printed this tentacle phone stand in it, and it only went through two of the colors......
image0.thumb.jpg.f3ccbc58813cbe6423df3bc7d50c36f3.jpg

Now imagine it printed in a flexible material...   

• Like 3

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

Now imagine it printed in a flexible material...   

I keep meaning to get some ninjaflex. I have done gizmodorks 95a but it's a little hard for what i'd want to use a flexible for. Also it strings horribly

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, haldir said:

I'm not sure about meth, but both Mr Clean & Mean Green are valid  choices. I used MG to clean my FEP (& vat) when I replaced it.

The thing with Mean Green is that's is an USA thing, I don't know what would be the Dutch equilavent.

Mr. Clean is known here, but there are all sorts of it, it's just a brand.

If that works than this might mean a simple all purpose cleaner might work well enough?

That would save money...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

The thing with Mean Green is that's is an USA thing, I don't know what would be the Dutch equilavent.

Mr. Clean is known here, but there are all sorts of it, it's just a brand.

If that works than this might mean a simple all purpose cleaner might work well enough?

That would save money...

You could Google the MSDS for Mean Green and compare it to locally available stuff??

Wierd, it says it's an adhesive. Here's the PDF link.

http://www.questspecialty.com/sds/5981_SDS_QS.pdf

EDIT: I found a cleaner/degreaser, that's probably what you're looking for.

http://www1.mscdirect.com/MSDS/MSDS00014/97842033-20160113.PDF

Edited by Brother Jim
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There is similar chemical in all of those. I seen a post on the Facebook anycubic group. I'll see which one it is. As long as it has that, its good to use instead of IPA. I know Castrol Super Clean works too (purple bottle/automotive section).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/17/2020 at 5:07 PM, Glitterwolf said:

QUESTION

Could methylated spirit be used to clean the prints?

Just thinking because it's cheap and readily available, not sure though if it would be too aggressive?

This guy seems to do that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqtkifF3-2I

metho works absolutely fine - in fact the Sphinx I printed for you was cleaned in Metho. Just make sure you wash them properly in water afterwards

it also clouds the finish somewhat, so if you are using a translucent or transparent resin it's not the best choice.

The resin cleaner I use contains propylene glycol as it's most significant ingredient, as in about 70% of the make up, not sure what the rest is as it's deemed non-hazardous!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thx all!

The IPA works fine, but after a few clean ups I need to replace it and given the cost ( and I need to order it/not available in a nearby shop) I'm looking for something cheaper and readily available.

One of the reasons I ask first is that I'm a bit afraid that if I use the wrong stuff it will dissolve my printed mini.

I do not want to print for a few hours to see my mini become a cloud of goo...

If the Methyl is safe than I can do that.

Now I put the mini in a pickle jar with IPA, shake it gently about and then put it in another pickle jar filled with hot tap water.

Then  I remove supports and then I let it cure either in the sun or under an UV lamp.

How do you guys do this?

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 1

very similar for me - when using methylated spirits it's shake it about in the metho, then shake it about in water then supports and post-cure

when using resinaway it's 3min in the ultrasonic cleaner with resinaway, then rinse, supports and post-cure

I usually wash them again before painting as well just in case.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I use two containers of IPA, one 'dirty' and one cleaner... Drop mini into the first, close lid and slosh it about for a few seconds, open container and fish mini out, drop in second container, slosh it about...    

When the dirty IPA gets too dirty it's replaced with the IPA in the 'clean' container, and the clean container refilled with new IPA. 

One way to extend the use of the IPA is to periodically filter it through a coffee filter... 

Resinaway seems to be more expensive than proper IPA. And not in stock in any of the online stores I checked here in Norway. 

'sold out' everywhere, even the little 0.5L bottles. 

• Like 2

I use two alcohol baths (I have berry keepers with the vents sealed shut. They have baskets like the pickle buckets, I drop them in the dirty tank, let it set a minute or so, gently agitate for another minute, strain and dump into the clean tank, let it soak for a minute or so, gently peel away supports and then scrub with an old soft bristle toothbrush, and then onto a well reused paper towel to dry.  Once dry, then it goes into my cure box for a 5 minute bake, at which point it feels quite hard and is ready to go.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Thx all!

The IPA works fine, but after a few clean ups I need to replace it and given the cost ( and I need to order it/not available in a nearby shop) I'm looking for something cheaper and readily available.

One of the reasons I ask first is that I'm a bit afraid that if I use the wrong stuff it will dissolve my printed mini.

I do not want to print for a few hours to see my mini become a cloud of goo...

If the Methyl is safe than I can do that.

Now I put the mini in a pickle jar with IPA, shake it gently about and then put it in another pickle jar filled with hot tap water.

Then  I remove supports and then I let it cure either in the sun or under an UV lamp.

How do you guys do this?

The first few prints I did that were successful, I did this:

Pop print off plate, put it in 95% or higher IPA for about 5 mins or so. I did do a scrub with a toothbrush at this time.

Afterwards, I let it dry completely before submerging it into some distilled water & did a little more scrubbing with the toothbrush.

Finally I took the print & either stuck it outside for a few minutes (sunny day) or a placed it on the mini turntable in front of the UV light with tin foil behind it in a C shape. The UV light I only did for about 5 mins.

While all of the dipping is going on, I'm cleaning my plate & getting it ready for either a new print or getting ready to turn the machine off. Also, while most places I've read or watched, they say to remove the supports after the IPA bath but I'd rather not handle the print till it's cured. Something about the modeler in me I guess.

With IPA being a bit harder to come across these days, I'll be using Mean Green instead of IPA. I'm also thinking of investing in the Anycubic cleaner but that depends on funds & with no RCon trip to plan for, it's a possibility.

*Just noticed you asked about using Methyl vs normal cleaners.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1