Sign in to follow this  
Anne

3D Printing General Discussion (merged)

I think next year maybe the Saturn or whatever new model comes out.

The CR-6 for terrain, an Elegoo for minis.

Have to be careful though, poisonous resin + small child could be a bad combo.

Artisan Guild has a LOT of cool stuff, and I kind of want that dwarf strumpet as a PC. Sorcerer, I think.

So far we have gotten dwarves and Troubles in the Tavern from their back catalog.

• Like 7

Brooms are all done! I decided to re-do that warforged barbarian figure. I needed to download again that Sir Sid scale model from printablescenery but yah allot easier. Hopefully thou it comes out as it's a 4 1/2 hr print. Thou Sid is 30mm I figure eh, it's a little bigger then 28mm but it'll work, for now.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, PaganMegan said:

I think next year maybe the Saturn or whatever new model comes out.

The CR-6 for terrain, an Elegoo for minis.

I've been very tempted by the same idea. Just need to win the lottery to be able to afford those plus the other minis I want to buy. But if I buy losing lottery tickets it's' less money for minis...::(:  Seriously for now I'm hoping that the CR-6 will be able to print out decent minis. I'm not super fussy and I've been seeing some pretty nice ones other people have been doing with fdm printers. Terrain is the #1 priority but more minis wouldn't be a bad thing.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Zink said:

I've been very tempted by the same idea. Just need to win the lottery to be able to afford those plus the other minis I want to buy. But if I buy losing lottery tickets it's' less money for minis...::(:  Seriously for now I'm hoping that the CR-6 will be able to print out decent minis. I'm not super fussy and I've been seeing some pretty nice ones other people have been doing with fdm printers. Terrain is the #1 priority but more minis wouldn't be a bad thing.

I'm looking forward to see how it does with out of the box profiles as well.  I'm still trying to dial in my ender but right now, with a .4 nozzle, anything less than 3mm in diameter by itself won't come off the printer looking like anything but crumpled foil.... ( things like like weapons, arms, etc)

I have some smaller nozzles I could try, I just haven't because I don't want to wait 28 hours for a single mini to print fdm when I can run it better quality in resin in 5 hours

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Cygnwulf said:

I'm looking forward to see how it does with out of the box profiles as well.  I'm still trying to dial in my ender but right now, with a .4 nozzle, anything less than 3mm in diameter by itself won't come off the printer looking like anything but crumpled foil.... ( things like like weapons, arms, etc)

I have some smaller nozzles I could try, I just haven't because I don't want to wait 28 hours for a single mini to print fdm when I can run it better quality in resin in 5 hours

Yeah, from what I've seen the small resin printers are already doing great for minis. I want to do spaceships, tanks and mechs for sure and there's a bunch of scifi and fantasy minis that would be nice. On the one hand print time isn't a huge deal for me but it would be nice to get it done faster. I'm hoping that people will come up with profiles for minis quickly after getting their printers. I'm studying but just barely understanding all the slicer settings. Once I can actual start making them it'll make more sense.

• Like 3

I printed two more of the braziers of the Snake Queen's set for my project.

• Like 3

note:  until they come out with bigger resin printers, dragons are still in the terrain category (unless they are really itty-bitty ones)::D:

• Like 5

Well I still need to work on my scaling.......

At least he looks more imposing now. You can see the earlier effort. I'll still use both yah i think I'm done with this figure for now.

I see the archer is done! Hopefully that one is too scale  if not I'm gonna have to find something on how to scale correctly.

20200611_174933.jpg

• Like 8

Clockwork ranger - perfect scale!

I still need to trim some supports but I didn't want to snip a part of the mini, so I did post stuff & ill remove those bits later.

15919228338274116860805144906668.jpg

• Like 7

Having some problems with warped prints. think it because my resin's getting too hot here in Texas summer heat, and I can't exactly air-condition my work-room without spreading fumes to the rest of the house.

epfgwwaade451.thumb.jpg.a9c60aad103ebaa79e92b5a914c3398c.jpg

• Like 4

Is it separating from the print plate?

If so, mybe see if increasing the exposure for the first layers might help. 

Adding a second or two ot the rest of he layers probably won't do much damage, either...

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Arutema said:

Having some problems with warped prints. think it because my resin's getting too hot here in Texas summer heat, and I can't exactly air-condition my work-room without spreading fumes to the rest of the house.

epfgwwaade451.thumb.jpg.a9c60aad103ebaa79e92b5a914c3398c.jpg

I dunno, a lot of photo resins say their optimum temperature is in the 35-40 c range and I know a lot of guy who have actually installed build area heaters and claim they get good results from it. It helps to keep the resin thin and runny when it's not cured and evens the cure time.  Most of the advice I've seen is that heat is more likely to cause problems with the electronics before it causes problems with the resin.

I'm more inclined to agree with Gadgetman that it could be you need to bump up your base layers or add some additional supports.

19 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

note:  until they come out with bigger resin printers, dragons are still in the terrain category (unless they are really itty-bitty ones)::D:

Or chopped up into multiple pieces.  MiniMonsterMayhem has made some truly huge and awesome dragons and provides them sliced and supported for 'standard' sized  msla printers like the mars or photon or sonic mini.  

• Like 4

Well anything can be chopped up.  I am still waiting for someone in the resin world to develop prints for the old castlemold dental plaster forms so you can print out blocks to build castles and pipelines and other stuff. 

The chopped up dragons are just like a jigsaw puzzle and the wings are so thin that they don't work very well in pieces.

• Like 2

Currently printing up one of two stls I bought today off Heroforge. I decided to print off Kallie Alran. She is suppose to be a close-friend/background character to the party. So I knew right away I needed a mini to represent her. I couldn't find anything existing so I ended up designing her. I'm glad I did. While her description doesn't say she is a black woman only a dark skinned Cyran human. I felt like she should be. With her current job as a scavenger for hire I felt she should have a pack & gave her leather armor. I also felt a hand crossbow would be a great weapon. I think I went with the dagger for her other hand but the way Heroforge does weapons I looks more like a shortsword. Her description says she "smiles all the time" so I had to give her the smiling expression.

The other scavengers will be a dwarf (Durvo, the leader), Nalia (a female halfling) & Sprocket (a male warforged with a twichy right arm). There is anther member but he's a corpse (which I have) but no need for a mini.

Animated armor print came out great last night too! I think I'm almost done with the minis I need for my first D&D game back at the store next month, maybe I'll try applying paint to these before then. I do have the clockwork hound from Rocket Pig, but I think it's a large based creature. Looking at in the slicer, it just looks bigger then a standard 28mm. I'll probably print it up just to have it but I'll probably fall back on prepainted figures for iron defenders.

I wanted to print out a Captain America bust this morning but by default the sucker is too big for the bed! I'll probably shrink it down but probably best for the Ender 3.

• Like 4

Kallie looks great!  Curing out in the sun, which surprisingly its nice & sunny after all the rain we got this morning & afternoon.

Printing out the dwarf now.

20200613_172113.jpg

Also bust printing & supporting. Should these be heavily supported? I scaled down Cap'n A to fit the bed & I auto supported it & there wasn't allot of supports. I wasn't sure but with the shape of busts, more or less a inverted triangle, but I wanted to ask first.

This is the bust:

720X720-img-20190428-111248.jpg

• Like 10