3D Printing General Discussion (merged)

Anne

Yah, I leave prints in mine, overnight, all the time. Thanks to my job, I usually start a job in the evening & then it's waiting for me when I get home from work in the morning. As long as you don't expose the print to UV, it should be good to go for quite awhile.

• Like 4

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

11 hours is a long time for resin prints.  I have a Mars and I don't think I've had anything close to that, but I'm mostly printing figures and small vehicles.  

There are a bunch of cleaners that will work well for post processing too.  I'm currently using Simple Green.

Normal maintenance on a resin printer is next to nothing (at least compared to filament printers).  But it is messier.  Other than if you rip a FEP or have to replace an LCD (neither of which I've had to do so far) it is pretty quick and easy, but hard on paper towels and the like.  If everything goes great with a print you can turn it around to have another running in under 5 minutes.

Kicking off a print and leaving is pretty safe with resin.  Generally the worst that will happen is you come home and the build plate is empty if you have an adhesion problem.

There is no heat involved so no real concerns with hot things like with filament.

The time I get I think is largely due to the thickness of the layers I am setting for, 0.02mm is what I have been going with. I'm not sure how much I can adjust the exposure time though, the resin says 8-10 seconds for normal exposure.

I think the 11 hour one I saw was a 0.01mm layer thickness. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Illithar said:

Absolutely to the mask.

The main thing on the Saturn that drew my attention was the faster print speed. It apparently has a much stronger UV light in it which can reduce the print time per layer. As I've been messing around in Chitubox it looks like the prints I am looking to make will take 8 - 11 hours. What's the opinion on starting a print in the morning and leaving running while you go to work?

I am hoping the water washable stuff lives up to it's promise. If not I will definitely look into methylated alcohol as an alternative cleaner. I'll be honest, the most intimidating part of this right now (just based on what I've been reading) is the general maintenance of the machine itself. It's probably not as bad as I'm thinking though.

Just make certain that it has enough resin and that it's not in a place with direct sunlight.

I've run prints of over 16 Hours on my Photon.... 

• Like 4

Ok, scale. I'm getting tired of sizing figures in the slicer using a scale meter or a figure file & then printing a figure & it's either tiny (or a giant in 15mm) or giant when it suppose to be a human sized figure. What am I doing wrong??

Using the scale meter from thingiverse:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3649454

I'll load up the figure I wanna slice. Next I'll load the ruler. I then size the figure down (or up, but mostly down as most files come out around 7 feet tall or 30mm (which is what most of the files are scaled at). Now this is where the problem apparently starts to happen. I use Z to drop the figures down to a size I'd like the figure to be (say a 5' 8" human). Support-slice-save to computer-copy to flash drive-print. I get the print out of the printer & it's tiny!!

What am I doing wrong here? Should I just leave the figure as is & the print it out even thou the ruler says it'll be way over the size I want it to be. I use a mix of figures from various manfc but I mostly use Reaper & Wizkids figures(pre-p & Unpt lines).

A good example of this is the female goblins from Artisan Guild I just got the other day. Loaded her into the slicer & she is over 6 feet tall!!!!! Ummm yah ok. I sized her down (again the Z axis) to 3 feet tall & now I'm afraid she'll come out even tinier then a female ranger that I sized to around 5' 5" & it just printed (or trashed). I've got 5 human bandits, 1 human professor & a elf rogue, along with that ranger that I need to print out before Monday & with so many scale failures, I'm not sure I'll get em done in time.

Help!!!!!!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, haldir said:

Ok, scale. I'm getting tired of sizing figures in the slicer using a scale meter or a figure file & then printing a figure & it's either tiny (or a giant in 15mm) or giant when it suppose to be a human sized figure. What am I doing wrong??

I'll load up the figure I wanna slice. Next I'll load the ruler. I then size the figure down (or up, but mostly down as most files come out around 7 feet tall or 30mm (which is what most of the files are scaled at). Now this is where the problem apparently starts to happen. I use Z to drop the figures down to a size I'd like the figure to be (say a 5' 8" human). Support-slice-save to computer-copy to flash drive-print. I get the print out of the printer & it's tiny!!

What am I doing wrong here? Should I just leave the figure as is & the print it out even thou the ruler says it'll be way over the size I want it to be. I use a mix of figures from various manfc but I mostly use Reaper & Wizkids figures(pre-p & Unpt lines).

A good example of this is the female goblins from Artisan Guild I just got the other day. Loaded her into the slicer & she is over 6 feet tall!!!!! Ummm yah ok. I sized her down (again the Z axis) to 3 feet tall & now I'm afraid she'll come out even tinier then a female ranger that I sized to around 5' 5" & it just printed (or trashed). I've got 5 human bandits, 1 human professor & a elf rogue, along with that ranger that I need to print out before Monday & with so many scale failures, I'm not sure I'll get em done in time.

Help!!!!!!

Artisan guild minis are about 32mm.

If you want them as 28mm most people scale down to 90% / 85%.

Should be good then.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Illithar said:

Absolutely to the mask.

The main thing on the Saturn that drew my attention was the faster print speed. It apparently has a much stronger UV light in it which can reduce the print time per layer. As I've been messing around in Chitubox it looks like the prints I am looking to make will take 8 - 11 hours. What's the opinion on starting a print in the morning and leaving running while you go to work?

I am hoping the water washable stuff lives up to it's promise. If not I will definitely look into methylated alcohol as an alternative cleaner. I'll be honest, the most intimidating part of this right now (just based on what I've been reading) is the general maintenance of the machine itself. It's probably not as bad as I'm thinking though.

If you have printed a few minis with succes you will know the machine and settings are alright.

Then you can go to work the next time while printing.

I protect the machine from UV light by putting some dark foam boards around it while it prints and when done I also cover it again with a grey bag and those same boards around it.

Make sure the Vat is filled but not too high either, usually about 30% is enough, avoid spilling resin if the VAT is too full.

To protect the LCD and what's beneath I put a little Kapton Tape over the edges, should resin spill, then it won't drip into the machine that way.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, haldir said:

Help!!!!!!

My normal approach to sizing is to grab a similar miniature already in my collection and measure the actual height, then scale in the slicer to match that height.

I've found that different models scale differently when loaded into the slicer, even though they claim to be the same size. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Illithar said:

The time I get I think is largely due to the thickness of the layers I am setting for, 0.02mm is what I have been going with. I'm not sure how much I can adjust the exposure time though, the resin says 8-10 seconds for normal exposure.

I think the 11 hour one I saw was a 0.01mm layer thickness. 

most settings will be for 0.05mm layer height, so if you're going for a 0.02 layer height you can probably start with reducing the exposure time by 40% (so if exposure is initially 10 seconds, reduce to 6 sec) and see how you go from there with the print quality. If you leave the exposure at the same as for 0.05 you'll end up over-exposing and have muddy details.

best thing to do would be to find a calibration model (monocure3d does them, but I'm sure there are others out there) and see how they appear with different layer heights and exposure.

You can get a calibration tool for the photon, not sure if it's been forked for your printer though, so maybe just the calibration models will be enough

Once you find settings and a resin that work for you it's best to stick with the same resin, as different resins (even different colours of the same brand) will perform differently (in particular clear/transparent vs opaque)

• Like 4

12 hours ago, haldir said:

Help!!!!!!

I've only needed to scale one figure: Mando with baby yoda, off thingiverse.  It took me 5 tries, since I was going for Star Wars Legion scale, which is "vague". So I wanted him roughly the same size as a Stormtrooper.

But for scaling all I did was load into Chitubox, select, click on scale, and type in the height I wanted in mm into Z, making sure scaling was locked.  I think the last version was 34mm and if I hold him up to a ruler that looks about right.

• Like 3

Last I checked it looks like problem piece B1 is finally printing.  With all the clogs my bed had also gotten a bit out of level, so after a new nozzle, very careful leveling, and rotating the print 45 degrees or so, it seems to be working.

I expect it to run out of filament now due to all the waste from trying to get it working.  That would be just my luck......

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Last I checked it looks like problem piece B1 is finally printing.  With all the clogs my bed had also gotten a bit out of level, so after a new nozzle, very careful leveling, and rotating the print 45 degrees or so, it seems to be working.

I expect it to run out of filament now due to all the waste from trying to get it working.  That would be just my luck......

Or not......when I went down after work it was "printing" air.....sigh.

Think I'll try printing some other things for a bit....

• Sad 5

Just wanted to say, thanks again to everyone's suggestions. Even thou the mini I used to scale this batch was like 8 feet tall according to the ruler, it matches up pretty well with a prepainted mini. I then printed out a batch of 3 figures, the "cursed" halfling thug, Doc Frank & one of five bandits. Everything came out exactly how I wanted, especially the halfling (more or less cut it 50% & then dropped it a few more. On to the next batch!!

• Like 7

Thank goodness for email notifications. I picked up the mail yesterday & inside was a model I ordered & some junk mail. It wasn't until later I discovered my ebay-prepainted minis came in as well. (Small box tucked into the back) Anyways, inside was a Steel Defender, a metal dog construct. It'll be part of the goblin encounter but I wasn't sure if the prepainted were gonna make it here in time, so I printed off a Corgi Steel Defender. Now I'm torn in what to use! :lol:

720X720-img-20200424-150155.jpg

(not my print but the pic on mmf)

• Like 6