Jump to content


Recommended Posts

I wouldn't recommend running a resin printer without decent ventilation - some resins have much less of a smell than others, and even with ventilation I'd recommend looking into those resins rather than the 'regular' resins.

 

Apart from that factor I do like my Photon.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/14/2019 at 5:45 PM, ratsmitglied said:

I wouldn't recommend running a resin printer without decent ventilation - some resins have much less of a smell than others, and even with ventilation I'd recommend looking into those resins rather than the 'regular' resins.

 

Apart from that factor I do like my Photon.

That's good to know. I was planning on housing it either at my desk in the dining room, or maybe in the spare bedroom. Still haven't bought one, but that hasn't stopped me from eyeing KSs for STLs.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

That's good to know. I was planning on housing it either at my desk in the dining room, or maybe in the spare bedroom. Still haven't bought one, but that hasn't stopped me from eyeing KSs for STLs.

I would recommend the spare bedroom rather than in the dining room, then you can at least close it off (and vent out the window)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depending on the printer setup, some of them come with their own filters now. You'll need gloves, safety classes, and a face mask. An ultrasonic cleaner and some 91% or higher alcohol to clean your printers plus a UV light source.

  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But the general printers started out as tractor feed dot-matrix giants. It has taken 30 years for them to reach the point of combination, color/fax/scanner/copier that conveniently sits without taking up 4 square feet. The 3D printers are hitting that area after only 5-10 years right now. It will be interesting to see in 10 years when someone goes "Wow, you really started out with an Ender3?"

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Setting up my Ender 3 today as it just so happens.

 

Exciting.  Post results.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Anycubic Photon is in the attached garage and even then my wife “claims” it stinks in the house when I run it.

 

(funny she can’t smell  the large quantities of bleach she uses to clean the house <_< )

Edited by KruleBear
Typo
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/20/2019 at 4:51 AM, JoeGKushner said:

Depending on the printer setup, some of them come with their own filters now. You'll need gloves, safety classes, and a face mask. An ultrasonic cleaner and some 91% or higher alcohol to clean your printers plus a UV light source.

I know the photon has a filter on the exhaust port, but without a fully vented enclosure I can't see how you're going to avoid the smells. 

 

For post production cleaning I use metho and a dunk and swish method, mainly because of space I haven't set the Ultrasonic Cleaner up yet - as to a UV light source, I find the sun works well for post-curing ;-)

 

 

7 hours ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

I really don't get why 3D printers can't be nearly as general-public friendly as regular printers have been for decades...

 

One day they will be...and some are getting close, you just need someone to develop a nice cartridge model of refilling the build material and we're looking good. For example, with the Photon my process for printing is to fill the print vat, insert USB with sliced file, and hit print. After printing it's clean the build plate, filter the unused resin back into the bottle and clean the vat. In that sense the resin printer is a lot more user-friendly than the FDM printer, but even my FDM printers only get the build plate levelled once every few months...

 

 

Just now, KruleBear said:

My Anycubic Photon is in the attached garage and even then m6 wife “claims” it stinks in the house when I run.

 

(funny she can’t smell  the large quantities of bleach she uses to clean the house <_< )

The smell is very different, her smell receptors are probably burned out to the bleach ;-) - but I would suggest investigating the 'low odour' resins that are out there...

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Clearman said:

 

Exciting.  Post results.

Easy set up my broccoli.

 

Easy if they don't wrap the cable from the print head around the base of the frame.  This means that the bed can't go all of the way back.  Which means that I needed to rewire it as the print head will not fit between the frame and the print bed.  Good for me that re-wiring and fixing cables is literally my job.  Though two of my cable lables fell off so I had to guess where they went going back in.  Smoke test was sat upon power up.  Will have to see what happens when I heat the extruder.

  • Like 5
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, KruleBear said:

My Anycubic Photon is in the attached garage and even then m6 wife “claims” it stinks in the house when I run.

 

(funny she can’t smell  the large quantities of bleach she uses to clean the house <_< )

 

My wife is the same way. Bring in a primered mini or spray painted model part & she is "That stinks!". Cleaning,  not a problem.

 

So my PCs are gonna encounter some awakened trees. I have the files, I just need to get my printer (ender3) going again. This may be the motivation I need. I see down the road they'll face 2 Bone Nagas. Prepainted BN are e expensive (30+ per st least). Yah again motivation!

2 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Easy set up my broccoli.

 

Easy if they don't wrap the cable from the print head around the base of the frame.  This means that the bed can't go all of the way back.  Which means that I needed to rewire it as the print head will not fit between the frame and the print bed.  Good for me that re-wiring and fixing cables is literally my job.  Though two of my cable lables fell off so I had to guess where they went going back in.  Smoke test was sat upon power up.  Will have to see what happens when I heat the extruder.

 

Note if you print the dog test file with the starter filament, it wont print all the way. Choose the squirrel chess pieces.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 2:17 PM, Knight of the Dinner Table said:

I'm eyeing a resin printer for Christmas. Anybody here with any experience? Is it safe to operate the printer in my office or do I have to keep the windows open all the time?

 

My Eelegoo Mars was very odor free... until I took the cover off to remove the prints. I've got in the basement and had no complaints during the 4.5 hour test job. Haven't printed anything else yet, but that's still getting the details put into the CAD models.

 

Caveat is that I'm part Harkonnen, so my chemical resistance is pretty high.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×