Knight of the Dinner Table

[SPLIT] 3d printers

13 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I wished it was six-armed, but it's not.

Just a lot of options for arms.

Which is still cool of course...

image.thumb.png.c59745fa26b728fb52468996f6cc9645.png

I could have sworn I mentioned it, but now I can't see it here...

I am planning on doing him the same way he is shown in the ad - two arms attached, and four more floating around him.

1.png?token-time=1597369001&token-hash=A

Mostly supported from the base - maybe some clear plastic rod to connect to the main body of the model.

*EDIT* Printed copies of the model seem to agree with that - several are being sold on Etsy.

image.png.b46183bc1be30937f4879c041493ea85.png

I think that is how he is supposed to be built, because the extra arms in the picture don't have a socket for the pegs built into his shoulders. Only the right and left A arms have the socket.

I seem to recall something similar in a long ago video game, but I do not remember more.

The floating arms can be targeted separately, dropping his number of attacks as the limbs are stripped away, and lowering his AC.

He counts as Huge, his arms are Large - and they all have Damage Reduction.

He is also filled with molten bronze - damaging him also wounds people in base contact with him.

Bronze Golem.

In this case, he can also heal himself, by causing one of his floating limbs to fall, lifeless.

Intelligent, but prone to berserk rages.

His master is perfectly willing to drop firestorms and fireballs right on him - healing him and damaging his foes.

But... even though he is being healed, he has a chance of turning his rage on his master, every time he is targeted by a spell.

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 6

Yah, I got to looking at the titan when I first got him & was wondering "Is he actually suppose to be multi-armed?". After a bit I figured it was optional till I I loaded him up in Chitu' to see how he looked & noticed the flat surfaces on his extra arms.

Cool concept @TheAuldGrump!

• Like 3

I'm thinking about those 'Magnetic Levitation Kits' that you can buy...  

Place the Golem on the table, with the arms laying down on the base. 

As soon as your player's characters comes close, press a hidden switch on the base, and the arms levitates up... 

• Like 6

Ok, so I have to show off a little, I just pulled this guy off the printer.  No post processing yet, just peeled the supports off using my fingers.  This is with a .4 nozzle on my ender 3 pro.  I had a clog yesterday and damaged my HeroMe duct so this was using stock cooling. (meaning the only upgrades that matter are the yellow bed springs and arguably the capricorn tube).  

I used Fat Dragon's Cura 5.6 profile and 3d printed tabletop's support settings.  Hatchbox PLA. (That I apparently forgot to put back in the bag last time I used it like a month ago, so it could probably do with some drying....)

He took 2 hours and 40 minutes to print.  I tried the same basic tweaks printing with a .2 nozzle and was told 8 hours, so I haven't tested that yet because i don't want to deal with swapping the nozzle at the moment.  But I think this is still pretty darned good.  

I mean, it's not resin quality, but for FDM I think this is looking pretty nice. I'll still use my resin for stuff I want to look top notch but for fun tabletop stuff I want to be able to get them done on this printer too. (I bought the PnP for Dodos riding Dinos and Tiny Epic Pirates, and I really want to print the game pieces for that in PLA or possibly even pteg because the... impacts... that can take place in that game won't be resin friendly)

I think I've got a little wobble in my Y that I need to address,

I should definitely fix the wet filament issue.

And I think I need to slow my shell speed slightly and drop my flow like maybe 2 %.

Anyone see anything else that they would take a look at?

1802779512_IMG_20200731_124002142(1).thumb.jpg.06a3b0d81421408c47f1294477e28ece.jpg

• Like 8

So I died a little inside last night...

That mechanic girl I had half finished? Well, I got her lower half printed, it over 11 hours. So I tried to glue the parts together and was having a hell of a time getting the two parts to actually stick, which was a bit frustrating because previous pieces I have assembled with this resin and for this very torso went together very easily. Well, after some messing around I thought I had it, and then the torso just... fell off and landed face first on the floor. The bill of the hat shattered and part of the face was damaged. I don't have the sculpting skill to fix it so I'm going to have to reprint the whole upper torso.

Although, honestly, this could be MUCH worse. If I had bought this as a resin kit by normal means I wouldn't have much recourse but to get another one. All this really lead to was wasted time and resin. But it's frustrating after the long print times with these parts, especially since I was so close to having her complete. Hopefully after reprinting everything I should be able to get her all done this weekend.

• Like 1
  • Sad 7

Ouch on the incident. Thou, I think you know that we've all been there. While not a dramatic, recently I was cleaning up a resin print, taking off supports & DOINK! there went the entire mini off the base. The mini in question was only supported by one leg on the base & I was too rough getting the supports off.

As you said, print anther & hopefully it comes out as good. I miss resin printing, that LCD can't come quick enough!

@Cygnwulf I think that one looks great for the nozzle size & filament. Clean up the edges & get some primer on it & it'll be even better!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Cygnwulf said:

Ok, so I have to show off a little, I just pulled this guy off the printer.  No post processing yet, just peeled the supports off using my fingers.  This is with a .4 nozzle on my ender 3 pro.  I had a clog yesterday and damaged my HeroMe duct so this was using stock cooling. (meaning the only upgrades that matter are the yellow bed springs and arguably the capricorn tube).  

I used Fat Dragon's Cura 5.6 profile and 3d printed tabletop's support settings.  Hatchbox PLA. (That I apparently forgot to put back in the bag last time I used it like a month ago, so it could probably do with some drying....)

He took 2 hours and 40 minutes to print.  I tried the same basic tweaks printing with a .2 nozzle and was told 8 hours, so I haven't tested that yet because i don't want to deal with swapping the nozzle at the moment.  But I think this is still pretty darned good.  

I mean, it's not resin quality, but for FDM I think this is looking pretty nice. I'll still use my resin for stuff I want to look top notch but for fun tabletop stuff I want to be able to get them done on this printer too. (I bought the PnP for Dodos riding Dinos and Tiny Epic Pirates, and I really want to print the game pieces for that in PLA or possibly even pteg because the... impacts... that can take place in that game won't be resin friendly)

I think I've got a little wobble in my Y that I need to address,

I should definitely fix the wet filament issue.

And I think I need to slow my shell speed slightly and drop my flow like maybe 2 %.

Anyone see anything else that they would take a look at?

1802779512_IMG_20200731_124002142(1).thumb.jpg.06a3b0d81421408c47f1294477e28ece.jpg

I'd definitely be happy with printing minis of that quality. I did buy different sizes of nozzles with my CR-6 to try out for higher quality but I could see myself not bothering changing from 0.4 when printing things if they look like that. I did resin casting of bits for years and a lot of them weren't great quality and I fixed them a bit and used them. 

• Like 2

And it's done! Finally! Most of the week was spent getting her printed. I had a few support failures here and there outside of my previous mentioned issues. If anyone does get this later, I recommend either reinforcing or doing your own supports for the wrench head itself. Also the big grabby claw thing for the base failed due to similar issues. I didn't reprint that, the base seems like something that is intentionally customizable. The majority of parts are hollowed as well, so they don't take much resin to print, just a long time due to the height.  BUT, there is a big tube/cable thing on the base, the pre-supported version is hollowed, but has no drainage, so I ended up using the un-supported version (which isn't hollowed) and supported it myself. She's also supposed to be holding a toothpick in her lips, which is a nice touch, but it's so tiny, I've seen light supports more robust. It did end up falling/breaking off at some point, but it looks just fine without it.

All in all, I really like this, painting it will be fun... when I get around to it. I'm definitely going to have to get more from Ritual Casting.

IMG_20200801_105055_1.jpg

• Like 12

Nice one! That is definitely something I need to do more of, large scale prints. I've picked up a few off myminifactory; a cartoon-style Batgirl & a Voodoo priestess named Bree among the ones I've gotten.

• Like 3

@Illithar that looks great!!

You did filter your resin after the failed parts, right?

She looks awesome.

I have printed some larger monsters in parts, primed them but need to assemble and paint them.

• Like 1

Senliah the Seductress from Heroes Infinite/Raging Heroes.

A perfect print, I did add extra supports where needed despite her being presupported.

I noticed it's often necessary

20200802_200037.jpg

• Like 6

So yeah, looks like I'll be saving up for an Ender 3 Pro.  I'd love the Prusa, but for half the cost I can get an FDM aaaand an SLA printer too, plus tons of stuff to print with... 

• Like 3

On 7/31/2020 at 2:59 AM, haldir said:

Yah, I got to looking at the titan when I first got him & was wondering "Is he actually suppose to be multi-armed?". After a bit I figured it was optional till I I loaded him up in Chitu' to see how he looked & noticed the flat surfaces on his extra arms.

Cool concept @TheAuldGrump!

The downside is that most of the scenes I have in mind are definitely late in the game, aside from the opening challenge.

I may need to make a separate thread, at some point - but right now this isn't on a back burner, it isn't even on the stove... just a bookmark in the recipes section.

Well, I can start one for the prints I am looking at, anyway.

The Auld Grump

• Like 1