Knight of the Dinner Table

[SPLIT] 3d printers

We just got back from walking Brutus and they delivered this box from Germany!

The Elegoo Mars has arrived.

Since I have a lot to do in the house this weekend, I'll keep it safely in it's box.

Will unpack when done, hopefully Sunday.

But it's here!

• Like 11

9 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

We just got back from walking Brutus and they delivered this box from Germany!

The Elegoo Mars has arrived.

Since I have a lot to do in the house this weekend, I'll keep it safely in it's box.

Will unpack when done, hopefully Sunday.

But it's here!

Bought mine on Black Friday last year & finally cracked the box open for it last month sometime. Have fun with yours!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well, have discovered there are certainly different levels of competence on Thingi when it comes to free Battletech minis.  Some makers are really good and others.....well as Grandma used to say "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything". Syllogy's stuff has done really well.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Yup!  I have even purchased files from some more professional looking sites and when I import the files in Meshmixer, they are riddled with errors and problem spots. I would expect that if you’re making some sort of living off selling something, you’d at least take the extra 30 seconds to make sure the design will work and print...  :wacko:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I am feeling oh so very smart today... Been struggling all week with adhesion issues.  Leveled, re-leveled, resliced the file to tweak first layer speed, leveled again, hairsprayed, glue sticked, leveled again, resliced again, live leveled, installed the Capricorn tube I'd been planning on installing for a while now, cleaned the entire hot end and put a new nozzle on, leveled again.

in a sleep deprived state last night, I finally hit upon turning up the bed temperature to 60 from the 45 that it was on (I was printing in PLA and kind of forgot about the bed temp...)  and suddenly everything stuck beautifully and popped of easily once cooled....

• Like 12

I have installed Chitubox.

Loaded some files to the program.

I put several minis on it.

A Snake Warrior

A Cobra with base

A Bat Demon

Small Foo Dog Statues

Asian Ghost with Base

Oni in three parts.

Saved it.

Now for supports

image.png.f5c147e021ff4fb8e425acad67b21977.png

I will make a WIP here so I won't clutter this thread.

• Like 5

You're probably well into adding supports but...

I decided for my workflow it was easier to add support to each model individually, and then add to a new Chitubox project when I'm ready to slice and print.  YMMV.

Also, you might get better prints if you tile the models so they are no flat on their backs.  I use anywhere between 15 and 45 degrees back depending on the model.  This will help with both layer lines and minimizing the cross-sectional area of a layer.

EDIT:  I just saw your other thread.  Let us know how things go.

Edited by Clearman
  • Like 4

So I haven't bit the bullet yet and bought a printer (though I am playing around with building things in TinkerCAD), but had a question about printers - I've heard that you need serious ventilation for resin printers, but not so much for filament models.  My wife has asthma (generally well controlled), but would it be a good idea to get a decent air purifier at the same time as a printer?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, warlordgarou said:

So I haven't bit the bullet yet and bought a printer (though I am playing around with building things in TinkerCAD), but had a question about printers - I've heard that you need serious ventilation for resin printers, but not so much for filament models.  My wife has asthma (generally well controlled), but would it be a good idea to get a decent air purifier at the same time as a printer?

I'm asthmatic and have one of each.  Standard PLA is definitely less stinky than at least Standard Elegoo resin (the only kind I've tried so far).   Both of mine are in my office which is something like 10x12. I only find the smell strong when I have to top off to remove a print or fill the tank (I use a respirator then, which I already had for airbrushing) or if I leave out prints that aren't fully cured (like I forgot and did today, I just stuffed them in a plastic bin until I have time to clean up the supports before final curing).  I did buy an air purifier after getting the resin printer, and I just leave it running all the time. Not only has it helped with the smell but I think my allergies are better when in here too ::D:

I do play to put some venting in this summer, for both the resin printer and the airbrush booth.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, warlordgarou said:

I understand filament isn't always odourless either.

Might want to take a look which kind is best.

I will open a window for the Elegoo Mars for now.

When I get it too print right I will move it to the basement, there is great ventilation there but the temperature is low ( 14/15 degrees celcius).

I know some forumites are printing at that temperature without a problem, but I want to make sure I get it to print under ideal circumstances to rule out all other factors.

I understand the kind of resin you use makes a big difference.

There is even a plantbased resin on the market, not sure how that behaves, but it's said to be less smelly.

• Like 3

PLA filament is practically odorless, and doesn't release any harmful gasses, at least not as long as you stay at the correct temperatures.

ABS, though, is a proper 'stinker' and not at all good for either you or the environment. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, warlordgarou said:

Based on my experiences this past 6 months I'd recommend an air purifier anyway (I'm in Australia), but they definitely help with the odour of the resins, you just need to make sure you get one with a carbon filter as well as the HEPA filter, not just the HEPA filter. I have a small one that I run next to the printer when using it, but I do plan to get a bigger one for my office more generally (as it is used for all my hobbying)

I have both Resin and FDM printers and there is definitely an odour to PLA, although not as much as there is for resin or ABS.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well, been working a large number of Battletech Ghost Bear minis, these are the ones I have printed for the Bears. They will get decals in a bit and then on to painting the rest of the Touman.   ypkIFNc.jpg

• Like 8

On 4/16/2020 at 2:38 PM, strawhat said:

And makes me envious!

But who knows what will happen when the government stimulus gets here...

I have both a FDM and a resin printer already, and I’m still envious of others in this thread. Mostly since I don’t seem to save time for doing any prints, and everybody seems to have little minis factories going. 

Got three months of Bombshell’s Patreon prints sitting on the desktop. In 10 days, it’ll be four. 

I should start taking a little time from working at home to begin printing in the morning, cleaning them up at lunch, and showing them off at dinner.

Then into the cabinet of unpainted figures for dessert.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Pegazus said:

I have both a FDM and a resin printer already, and I’m still envious of others in this thread. Mostly since I don’t seem to save time for doing any prints, and everybody seems to have little minis factories going. 

Got three months of Bombshell’s Patreon prints sitting on the desktop. In 10 days, it’ll be four. 

I should start taking a little time from working at home to begin printing in the morning, cleaning them up at lunch, and showing them off at dinner.

Then into the cabinet of unpainted figures for dessert.

I have 2 x FDM and a resin and I'm envious of others. I'm in much the same position in that with everything else I've got happening I haven't had time to think about printing beyond responding to this thread!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2