Knight of the Dinner Table

[SPLIT] 3d printers

15 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

its probably in this thread somewhere and i missed it but is there a suggested primer that will actually hide the print lines on a filament printer or am i going to  be working those lines into my paintjob?  In particular, I am looking at the smaller details like control panels or heavy contours where sanding is not really a viable option

Badger has a two part system that is supposed to smooth out the lines.  I haven't tried it yet myself.  Maybe someone else has?

• Like 2

Gibbering Orb came out great!! It'll find a home in tomorrow's game for sure! Currently printing off some based crawling claws (& feet) minis I found on thingverse, awhile back. I'll compare them to the ones I have printed out, then it'll be the kitten "of the night".

@Jasper_the_2nd She is part of a set (she is a freebie) from  Pollygrimm on myminifactory. She is under "Catfolk Courtesan GIrl"

The 3d primer paint from Badger is called 3d Prime & is basically Stylenrez without the flexing material added in. Since 3d prints don't really need to bend, it was removed. (Reminds me I should try the stuff I got at LVO this year.......)

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, haldir said:

Gibbering Orb came out great!! It'll find a home in tomorrow's game for sure! Currently printing off some based crawling claws (& feet) minis I found on thingverse, awhile back. I'll compare them to the ones I have printed out, then it'll be the kitten "of the night".

@Jasper_the_2nd She is part of a set (she is a freebie) from  Pollygrimm on myminifactory. She is under "Catfolk Courtesan GIrl"

The 3d primer paint from Badger is called 3d Prime & is basically Stylenrez without the flexing material added in. Since 3d prints don't really need to bend, it was removed. (Reminds me I should try the stuff I got at LVO this year.......)

I will have to go look at the cat, its cute. 

I never really thought of stylenrez as a filling primer.  It tends to be really thin and show every detail.  In most cases this would be an excellent feature but with the prints i am trying to hide the layers.  was just curious if there was something out there that did a good gap fill. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

I never really thought of stylenrez as a filling primer.  It tends to be really thin and show every detail.  In most cases this would be an excellent feature but with the prints i am trying to hide the layers.  was just curious if there was something out there that did a good gap fill. 

3D Prime comes with a "Translucent Surface Smoother (Striation Filler)" bottle as well as the primer(s).  You put a 1-3 coats of that on (as needed) them prime with the actual coloured primer part after.  I did a basic test with some landing pads a while ago, but haven't primed anything filament printed since.

It is kind of like putting sealer on to smooth a rough spot on a mini you are painting, then painting over it.

• Like 3

Having given up on the Ender 3 Pro, I ordered a Ender 5 Plus last week, and it arrived Friday during game session so I wasn't able to play until Saturday morning.

Saturday I managed to get it put together before the demonspawn arrive for festivities and when I plugged it in to start fine tuning it, the minute it started to heat up, the UPS would shut down. Cost me a print job on the Snapmaker, fortunately the CR-10 managed to resume where it left off. I then decided to put it on its own UPS, so I needed to wait  for the battery to charge. So much for having it running on Saturday.

This morning I plugged it in and fired it up. As soon as the bed started heating up, there goes the UPS. Turns out that the Ender 5 pulls 600W and my UPS was only rated for 510W. New larger UPS on order. In the meantime, I can still use the surge protection to run the printer. I got it basically leveled (still need to fine tune it a little), and currently have a print job running. 

It seems that for the first time ever, I have 3/3 printer operating. :winkthumbs: 

Need to figure out why I have a bunch of cobweb type stringing on my CR-10, using Amazon Basic Black PLA, 205/60, Retraction I think is at default of 6mm (didn't have this setting active in CURA 4.6.1 when I sliced the file. Thoughts?

The biggest issue I foresee having with the Ender 5 Plus is that it doesn't read filenames over 15 chars.

Edited by TripleH
  • Like 5

Got a new LCD for my Kudo3D Bean printer. 

I decided to get it fixed up...   

I will NOT buy a new vat for it to replace the old, warped ones, though. I plan to fit it with clamps to hold a Photon vat instead. 

The big reason for getting it fixed up is that this one uses 395nm UV light instead of 405nm like my Photon, the Elegoos and most other budget brand printers. 

And some resins(Such as Kudo3D's 3SR brand) works better with 395nm UV. 

Also, it never hurts to have a spare printer... 

In other news, I fired up my old DreamMaker Overlord Pro today, and tested that the hot-end works. 

(It heats up pretty quickly actually. )

The fan on the back that's supposed to cool the top of the hot-end, though, didn't start. 

As soon as I get that sorted it's time to get the motors stepping. 

For those that need a reminder, the Overlord Pro is a 'Delta' style 3D printer from 2016. 

(3 towers, with the hot-end suspended by arms mounted on slides on the towers. movement to the sides is done by moving the slides up and down. these printers can typically do 150 - 200mm/s while a regular 3D printer is from 50 - 100mm/s)

So far I've replaced the old 8bit Arduino clone motherboard with a 32bit Azteeg GT 5X board with a network module. 

the hot-end heater has been swapped from 40 to 60W. 

And I'm slowly working on designing a proper fan duct for the front fan(cools the plastic after it exits the hot-end)

The internal battery backup has been removed(no problem, my UPS is a 1100VA version... ) and a new 360W/24V PSU has replaced the 200W original. (it was too small even for the original electronics)

• Like 7

I'd love a Delta printer, they're so much fun to watch. Downside though is they're pricy for the ones that don't skimp on parts... 

• Like 2

The only thing they really skimped on on this one was the electronics. 

Arduino clone with custom stepper drivers(can't be sourced new any more) that only did 8x microstepping. 

The SD6128 drivers I got can do 128x microstepping... 

(16x or better tends to be much more quiet)

And it's the version with digitally controlled current setting, so I can set the power to each motor just by editing a line in a config file, instead of messing with a small screwdriver and ruining a way too small potentiometer... 

The really big problem with delta printers is all the time you lose while staring at it working. 

The durn things are really hypnotic. 

They can be difficult to set up correctly, so a lot of them end up in attics or Craigslist. You may be able to find a cheap one if you keep an eye out. 

Just stay away from homebuilds. 

(Odds are that they were given up because the creator ran into a problem with the design)   

• Like 4

MHWAHAHAHAHAHA! IT HAS ARRIVED!

C30576B3-859E-463B-9DEC-2A35E8FFC41E.jpeg.f909f66b8c621daa3893932fda177a61.jpeg

And as I type it is printing off its first mini! I shall post the results in a hour and a half!

BC4EF19A-AE8E-460F-80B4-3DD5A17D2781.jpeg

• Like 10

Well it was mostly successful. It is currently sun curing.
9D01DA29-9A3D-4312-A2BD-4DE23C9968F5.jpeg.c07fe3a82054edca44552814fcf4aa5d.jpeg
however I have no turret. It started but it didn’t stay attached to the build plate. 
Thoughts?3625CA78-7E5A-43CA-8531-142E30AAF6FB.jpeg.1153f037f53b192f56a6336af90e2bd6.jpeg579886A8-4849-4FCC-92F8-74D669201C00.jpeg.cde8dad457907d88090102d337580b1e.jpeg

• Like 7

starting my next project...

3d tiles of catan!  (yea i know its probably old news but its another one of those things i always wanted...)

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Standifer said:

Well it was mostly successful. It is currently sun curing.

however I have no turret. It started but it didn’t stay attached to the build plate. 
Thoughts?3625CA78-7E5A-43CA-8531-142E30AAF6FB.jpeg.1153f037f53b192f56a6336af90e2bd6.jpeg

My guesses:
1) Build plate wasn't level, so the turret did not adhere correctly

2) Need longer curing on the bottom layers/more bottom layers

3) Insufficient/too small (light instead of medium/heavy) supports - THIS is my guess based on the picture - presuming that the square on the left was on the build plate and the blob on the right on the FEP)

4) Clean the build with IPA prior to printing (even though I don't use IPA for a lot of stuff with my printer I still use it for cleaning anything I handle to remove fingerprints etc.)

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, ratsmitglied said:

My guesses:
1) Build plate wasn't level, so the turret did not adhere correctly

2) Need longer curing on the bottom layers/more bottom layers

3) Insufficient/too small (light instead of medium/heavy) supports - THIS is my guess based on the picture - presuming that the square on the left was on the build plate and the blob on the right on the FEP)

4) Clean the build with IPA prior to printing (even though I don't use IPA for a lot of stuff with my printer I still use it for cleaning anything I handle to remove fingerprints etc.)

Thanks! I shall keep all these in mind in the future. 
The square on the left was stuck to the fep. The little bit on the right is a piece from the tanks supports. I intend to cure the supports so I can safely dispose of them.
I took the precaution of releveling the build plate and cleaning it with alcohol. Started a pair of knights, all seems to be going well so far. 

• Like 6

Ran into my first spool of brittle filament.  I don't hear any cracking or popping but it might be water?  The first half of spool worked fine

Any suggestions/recommendations?  If nothing else in will switch it to the Prusa which uses a direct drive (no boden tube) and feeds in a straight line to minimize bending stress on the filament.  Just curious if there was an easy solution.  (I'm cheap and notnezcotrd about throwing away half a spool...)

• Like 3