Jump to content


77323 Blighfang (or, Wulf doesn't need much encouragement to paint another dragon)

Recommended Posts

So my favorite inlaw and I were talking  Saturday morning, and she mentioned to me that she really wants me to paint her a dragon.  One thing lead to another and before you knew it, she was picking Blighfang out of the bones catalog.


She then asked if it would be possible to base the colors on a favorite tea set, to which I really agreed because it's a little unusual


I made a quick mock up that got the approval


It didn't take me long to get to the store and pick up a dragon.w

Last night I sat down and did the assembly.  There were a few gaps but nothing major. 

Today I had about an hour to play with it, so I spent it using some Stynlrez to prime and sketch in my colors.




Still really rough, and not really the blue-black I want to end up with, this is mostly a color sketch done really fast work the airbrush so I have something to start with. Pretty much everything from here will be brush work.  I'm a little on the fence about the yellow in the membranes, though I really like it on the belly. 



Edited by Cygnwulf
Doubled images
  • Like 11

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Original colour scheme!

Go for it!

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 1

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not much to super here, about all I did tonight was clean up some overspray  I did block out the colors on one of the wings, thing I'm wondering if things might be a good place to bring in the pink from the inspiration IMG_20191022_223323858.thumb.jpg.0f0b945e6f0568f29ae543b6b2d622c9.jpg piece

  • Like 8

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Small progress. Airbrush work is done. This should have been possible all in one session, but a combination of only haveing half an hour here and there with a bit of indecision make it take 4. It'll be brush work from here on outIMG_20191028_220331286.thumb.jpg.9da3db1a9a36ecd6988ff0782250efcc.jpgIMG_20191028_220353259.thumb.jpg.c8d8fa5eff1d3149666a655f0be3cfd2.jpg

Edited by Cygnwulf
  • Like 9

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

A little more progress, cleaned up some overspray, tried to put some shading in the gold areas but I think it went TOO yellow. Going to sleep on it and look again tomorrow


  • Like 7

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By TripleH
      Looking for suggestion on which of the Bones dragons would be a decent match for the Pathfinder Cloud Dragon for use in the next book of the Giantslayer campaign that I'm currently running. I have maybe a month or two before they encounter this bad beast.  He is considered an Adult dragon, size: Huge.

    • By Mckenna35
      Finally finished something for myself - woohoo! One of the set of Rocky baby dragons from Bones IV.  Went with a red scheme on this one.  Not going to win any awards with all the mold lines I missed!  Was supposed to be a quick speed paint, and yeah, that didn't happen.  Anyway, though he turned out pretty good, although the pictures don't show the highlights on the red.  Tried three different set-ups and still looks flat here.    Ah well.

    • By TaleSpinner
      So, here I am again, starting another WIP; I'm hoping I actually finish this one. 
      Anyway, I have a need in some upcoming games for a colossal red dragon as a lieutenant to the BBEG.  I'm expecting this to be a reoccurring character, so I want a decent paint job on it. That said, I am not aiming for much more that table-top quality here, and will be using every speed painting technique in my toolbox to crank this one out, hopefully before the next game in mid November.
      I am also going to use it to christen my new Patriot airbrush and airbrush booth.  Last night, I primed the whole model in Brown Liner.  It took about 3/4 of a bottle, and I didn't have too much over spray.  This is a big model.
      As I have said in the past, I like trying something new with every project; this one it is the use of an air brush.  I want to use this model to develop control and precision both with my Patriot and Sotar brushes.  Prior to this, I really haven't attempted much more than priming with an airbrush.

      Here's a picture of him in my spray booth.

      Have a great day!
    • By Neatpete
      The new Kickstarter got me motivated to dig up some old bones. I realized after all these years I have never painted a dragon, so I got after it. Rather happy with how this came out.

    • By Maledrakh
      A large mini ragepainted sloppyfast in under an hour just to blow off some steam and get it off the tray it has been standing around for ages on.
      Well, large mini I say. Compared to most other dragons of the Bones kickstarters, this one is rather smallish.
      However, back in the day when heavy metal was king, this mini would be considered a large miniature of a dragon.
      pics below the clicks
  • Who's Online   15 Members, 0 Anonymous, 195 Guests (See full list)