ladystorm

Reaper Bones 5 : Enthusiasm and Commentary Thread

1 hour ago, Xiwo Xerase said:

Hm.  So how long after fulfillment will someone modify theirs to use 14106: Dark Maiden as the figurehead?

Is a name given for Razig's ship?

Yeeeeessss...

1 hour ago, Colonel Kane said:

Dark Maiden.......

Yes!

And given the figurehead on the render is a lady in a dress, wielding two swords? I'm pretty sure that's what the idea is.

33 minutes ago, NebulousMissy said:

Depending on the other underwater minis available, there's always the Pequod.

At least in Bones you shouldn't even need to paint the whale...

I'm going to have to really ponder the ship. I have a few other options in mind, none of which are as pretty, but all of which have belowdecks playability.

But gawrsh, if this'un ain't purty!

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Okay, someone is going to hate me for this.

Why is it so big? That's THREE FEET LONG. It isn't a mini if it is bigger than an baby.

I like it. But geebus. Where the bleep will I put it?

Wherever one makes room for it.  Hubby said he has no interest already, but I want it... And crewed by otters! 

4 hours ago, icestormganon said:

Also, how long will that take to paint? 

Amazing what an airbrush can do - the CAV dropship was airbrushed by someone over the course of a weekend, for example. 

4 hours ago, Argentee said:

I asked my husband where we would put it. He said he will find room!

Something that gorgeous?  Oh yeah, room will be made for such a beauty! 

4 hours ago, Cranky Dog said:

We have a new 7 Day painting challenge!

This and the CAV dropship.... Which will we get first, ooooooooooh... :p /ghost noises

1 hour ago, lowlylowlycook said:

Looking at the size of those anchors it's going to take something a bit stronger than an otter to work the capstan.

A dire otter! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Let's see, 4-5 per gun, with at least 32 guns

Where are the two extra guns I am not seeing?

I see six (9 pounders?) on the upper deck. 

I see Nine (16 pounders?) on the main gun deck. 

(6+9=15) x2=30

30 guns is a decent mid-range Frigate. 

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Looking at the size of the ship, I would really expect it to be in the $100 range. Compared to the Barge and the WK ship, it seems likely to be there in the KS. And at least $150 at retail. The idea of having a removable center section is a very good one, as it would make modifying and storing much easier.

To build a ship with a removable center section, you really need to have straight sides, which the current model doesn't have. Not to say it couldn't or shouldn't be modified, but that would need to be done early.

3 minutes ago, TGP said:

Where are the two extra guns I am not seeing?

I see six (9 pounders?) on the upper deck. 

I see Nine (16 pounders?) on the main gun deck. 

(6+9=15) x2=30

30 guns is a decent mid-range Frigate. 

I didn't count carefully on the static images, I was trying to count quickly on the turnarounds and got 10 on the gun deck. I'm sure your count is better. But I would expect 1-2 bow chasers and the same for stern chasers as well. Since my crew numbers were kind of WAGs, I don't think that much affects the total.

Using the rating system prevalent during the 18th and 19th century, either would make the ship a 6th rate (small frigate).

• Like 7

8 hours ago, YronimosW said:

That would make sense, too - I mean, they've got to be cutting pretty close to their bottom line as it is, and I can't see how they could add VERY many more minis to the core set at the current price-per-mini!

That said, if they can afford a 200-mini core set at this price, I'm definitely all for it!  :)

Honestly, this shouldn't be such a good deal that they don't make money. The folks whining that the core is too small I feel like wouldn't care if Reaper lost money on the deal. Margins shouldn't be so small. A good deal can be had by all, buyers and seller.

• Like 18

7 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

To build a ship with a removable center section, you really need to have straight sides, which the current model doesn't have. Not to say it couldn't or shouldn't be modified, but that would need to be done early.

I didn't count carefully on the static images, I was trying to count quickly on the turnarounds and got 10 on the gun deck. I'm sure your count is better. But I would expect 1-2 bow chasers and the same for stern chasers as well. Since my crew numbers were kind of WAGs, I don't think that much affects the total.

Using the rating system prevalent during the 18th and 19th century, either would make the ship a 6th rate (small frigate).

Something I considered when making my suggestions.

Remember, this is the first rendering, so there is still time for a lot of tweaking to take place.

Second point, this is a representation of a ship for RPG purposes, not an accurate rendition of a specific class of ships used for close Naval Combat simulation.  If certain compromises need to be made in order to increase the utility of the model then so be it.  I'm interested in gaming utility, not plank for plank accuracy.

If I want that level of model fidelity I will be looking at the appropriate section of my Micro-Mark Catalog.

GEM

• Like 10

1 minute ago, Corsair said:

@Joshinminn welcome to the place. You will find a very friendly crew here. Just keep the coffee coming to the Haminster and you will be safe!

Thanks, I'm just getting into miniatures and the Kickstarter is making me obsessive in an almost alarming way! About four years ago I came back to D&D after about 20 years away. It's been so great to find the community of grognards and felliw nerds isb going so strong!

• Like 13

1 minute ago, Joshinminn said:

Thanks, I'm just getting into miniatures and the Kickstarter is making me obsessive in an almost alarming way! About four years ago I came back to D&D after about 20 years away. It's been so great to find the community of grognards and felliw nerds isb going so strong!

At 53, with 41 years in the hobby, I resemble that remark.::D:

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Skallabjorn said:

At 53, with 41 years in the hobby, I resemble that remark.::D:

Youngster.

I started in college [after 6 years active duty in the US Navy] with White Box and self ablating dice.

GEM :lol:

Edited by Green Eyed Monster
tentacles
  • Like 9
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Youngster.

I started in college [after 6 years active duty in the US Navy] with White Box and self ablating dice.

GEM :lol:

It honestly has been a joy to see the hobby grow over the years. Still have all my 1st and 2nd edition stuff. Loving Bones and the KS for creating even more growth. I was fortunate enough to have my FLGS and owner be Flying Buffalo and Rick Loomis in my formative years as a gamer.

Edited by Skallabjorn
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Skallabjorn said:

It honestly has been a joy to see the hobby grow over the years. Still have all my 1st and 2nd edition stuff. Loving Bones and the KS for creating even more growth.

Same here.

Except for the self ablating dice.

Those disintegrated to an unusable state many decades ago and were unceremoniously disposed of.

Had I known what I know now, those poor pitiful dice would have been enshrined.

GEM

• Like 5

Just now, StarFyre said:

wow..and at 42, i'm already feeling the sadness of having 1 foot in the grave... hehe

Sanjay

You're still on the uphill climb.

When you get to the top you will know it. The trick on the downhill is to not go to fast and enjoy the scenery.

GEM

Whose original factory warranty runs out in less than two weeks.

• Like 9

was there no reaper live thursday??  searching but cant find it

Sanjay

Edited by StarFyre
  • Like 3