ladystorm

Reaper Bones 5 : Enthusiasm and Commentary Thread

8 minutes ago, Corsair said:

The WK ship is listed as 30" overall, this one has 32" of deck space and is 37" overall it is also 2-3" wider

Gonna need a couple of little boats to hang off the sides of it

The Bones IV Boat?

image.png.7bd3cef0b68babe3630bc19557e3fd0d.png

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

The thing with breaking the ship into modules rather than one long piece is I believe that’ll reduce the chance of being able to engineer a removable deck for it.

Guess we’ll have to wait and see.

Also see a lot of problems down the road with hinged doors for the cannon ports, and making those masts firm enough.

I really hope Reaper takes their time in its design and have a lot of open communication with the manufacturer so we don’t end up with issues where the manufacturer treats it like manufacturing a toy and not a hobbyist item like they did with Baba Yagas hut.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 4

6 minutes ago, Darsc Zacal said:

The thing with breaking the ship into modules rather than one long piece is I believe that’ll reduce the chance of being able to engineer a removable deck for it.

Also see a lot of problems down the road with hinged doors for the cannon ports, and making those masts firm enough.

I really hope Reaper takes their time in its design and have a lot of open communication with the manufacturer so we don’t end up with issues where the manufacturer treats it like manufacturing a toy and not a hobbyist item like they did with Baba Yagas hut.

I agree!

One thing about this KS, Reaper seems to have listened a lot to requests.

I remember a lot of stuff from the Bones you like to see which I see turning up now.

• War Machines
  • Catoblepas
  • Ship
  • Wolf Dragon
  • Asian themed set
  • Greek themed set
  • New smaller dragons

I like how this is turning out, I'm waiting for the politics to calm down, it seems to go in the right direction.

Then I will go for the ship, the underwater expansion if pt 2 and 3 are to my liking, probably a Goroloth and maybe some warmachines.

We will see how this plays out.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 11

Just now, Darsc Zacal said:

I've already made some suggestions for how to deal with the gun port issues.

Basically, make the hull with specified size openings where the gun deck ports are located.  The openings are receivers for different inserts to represent different conditions for that particular port, such as hatch closed, hatch opened, gun run out, etc.   With different inserts it's even possible to represent different calibre or type of gun.

I don't have a good solution for the below deck representation of the interior as long as we are working within the constraints of traditional bones type materials.  When you get to that level of complexity you either need to go to composite construction, with a plastic outer hull and wooden deck structures, or an all wood design.

GEM

• Like 6

Number Based on 1300-1400 Reaper time today:
Current Total Pledges: $1,829,881
Current Total Backers: 14,128
Next Goal At $1,845,000
To go to Next Goal $15,119
Hours to next goal based on gains this hour: 12.8
Hours to next goal based on 24h Avg: 7.7

Gain in last Hour: $1,182
New Backers This Hour: 7
Total Gain Today: $24,447
Total Gain 24 Hours: $47,007
Average Hourly Pledges Today: $1,630
Average Hourly Pledges 24 Hours: $1,959
Current Average Pledge: $129.52
Average Hourly Backers Today: 9.9
Average Hourly Backers 24 Hours: 10.0
Previous Hour Total Pledges: $1,828,699
Previous Hour Total Backers: 14,121
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 5

A lot of issues/solutions come down to how many pieces you want to deal with.  While it's possible to make a mold to do the deck as a single piece, it makes it a lot easier to deal with if it's in sections.  Likewise, if you split the hull into left & right sections you can get detail on the inside and outside with a traditional two piece mold.  If you try to do that with a single piece lower hull it's going to be a slide mold and that's going to get spendy.  Once upon a time the guesstimate for costs for molding traditional plastic models was $1000/piece.  I have no idea what Reaper's actual costs are, but I'll bet that's going to play into things.  The more pieces you have = better detail and flexibility in use and building but = greater cost for the product.  Pretty much anything is possible if you want to throw enough money at it.  :poke:

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

I've already made some suggestions for how to deal with the gun port issues.

Basically, make the hull with specified size openings where the gun deck ports are located.  The openings are receivers for different inserts to represent different conditions for that particular port, such as hatch closed, hatch opened, gun run out, etc.   With different inserts it's even possible to represent different calibre or type of gun.

I don't have a good solution for the below deck representation of the interior as long as we are working within the constraints of traditional bones type materials.  When you get to that level of complexity you either need to go to composite construction, with a plastic outer hull and wooden deck structures, or an all wood design.

GEM

I read about your idea for the “plugs” for the gun ports.

It’s an interesting idea but I wonder how constant insertion and removal will affect the tightness of the fit going forward.

Having them fall out would be a pain. I could see losing those pieces too.

I almost wonder for the lower decks if Reaper could just do a separate plastic decking for each level that would be a stand alone that is separate for the actual ship. Just for playability and keeping track of character locations.

Kind of like WOTC and Paizo and other manufacturers do in paper, but in plastic instead.

A9B64846-F395-43FA-81FF-9A1DF64D6E6A.thumb.jpeg.b89b9e6ce648422dd79a7677c33fce8e.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Y'know, the more I look at it.... 

...The more I want to give the Catoblepas a top hat, a monocle, and a cane.  That's right, for some reason I want to turn a party killing monster into a dapper... Player killing thing... 

• Haha 21

57 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

The Bones IV Boat?

image.png.7bd3cef0b68babe3630bc19557e3fd0d.png

Paints up nicely too. It might look a little too beat up though.

IMG_20190728_150919.thumb.jpg.690d9853c628707522d8d2dd2723b27d.jpg

• Like 10

7 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

...The more I want to give the Catoblepas a top hat, a monocle, and a cane.  That's right, for some reason I want to turn a party killing monster into a dapper... Player killing thing... 

“Puttin’ on the Riittzz!” ::D:

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Haha 14

8 minutes ago, Chris Palmer said:

“Puttin’ on the Riittzz!” ::D:

You beat me to it!

• Haha 8

23 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

tumblr_l92vzu9xAJ1qa3nkyo1_500.jpg.24c4a807c1781fb2346bdef0f32b0e35.jpg

• Haha 20