Average Hourly Backers Today: 10.4
Average Hourly Backers 24 Hours: 10.5
Previous Hour Total Pledges: $1,834,328
Previous Hour Total Backers: 14,154
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 5

2 hours ago, Chris Palmer said:

“Puttin’ on the Riittzz!” ::D:

For some reason, I don't quite get the reference, but he'd be a dapper looking one, that's for sure. 

Well, actually, I recognize it, but can't recall where from... 

2 hours ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

tumblr_l92vzu9xAJ1qa3nkyo1_500.jpg.24c4a807c1781fb2346bdef0f32b0e35.jpg

Ah, to kill the party with a show... 

1 hour ago, klarg1 said:

If you do this, I must insist on the addition of a a bow tie.

Okay!  It's only proper dapper with one of those anyways...! 

1 hour ago, Corsair said:

Okay, not really any new, serious info today. They did like the idea of the top hat catoblepas.

Oh gawds, my silly thought made it onto there?  Uh oh, that means I might actually have to do it.....!!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

4 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

For some reason, I don't quite get the reference, but he'd be a dapper looking one, that's for sure. 

Well, actually, I recognize it, but can't recall where from... 

Ah, to kill the party with a show... 

Okay!  It's only proper dapper with one of those anyways...! 

Oh gawds, my silly thought made it onto there?  Uh oh, that means I might actually have to do it.....!!! 

Spaceballs, cafe scene

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:
2 hours ago, Chris Palmer said:

“Puttin’ on the Riittzz!” ::D:

The movie "Young Frankenstein".  The monster's dance number:

https://youtu.be/ab7NyKw0VYQ

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 10

52 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

As many as six men per gun for the larger cannon - with 2 and 6 being the men that hauled on the ropes to bring the cannon back to the gunport after being loaded.

Yeah, a long 24 looks to have been around a 3-ton hunk of wood and metal. Not at all easy to manhandle back into battery if there's any sea at all. Even the long 12s used on frigates look to have been almost 2 tons.

ETA: When you consider the mayhem that could be created by an uncontrolled 3-ton gun in heavy seas, you can see where the idiom "loose cannon" came from.

After a bit of research, it looks like this might best be described as a 5th rater, though frigates didn't typically have a separate gun deck, those being limited to Ships of the Line. And even the smaller 4th rate ships had 46 guns. (This doesn't really bother me, as I wouldn't plan to use this for a serious historical recreation.) And it looks like my estimates for the crew of a sixth rater was about right, while a fifth rater would have a crew between 200 and 300 men (or otters, of course).

51 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

If there were little rings or something on the booms (horizontal beams, yeah?) then we could easily attach cloth sails ourselves and make it look half decent.

Easy enough to attach. Since the sail is attached on both sides of the lines that support the yards, the rings wouldn't need to be attached to the yard very securely at all. Once the sail is attached to either the rings or similar loops of line, it won't come free.

Edited by Doug Sundseth
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, Skallabjorn said:

Spaceballs, cafe scene

Spaceballs used "Hello my Baby," simultaneously parodying both Alien and Looney Tunes (which was itself parodying the Cary Grant movie Once Upon a Time).

Young Frankenstein, as pointed out by esteemed scholar and Man-about-town @Chris Palmer, is the Mel Brooks joint you're looking for if you want "Puttin' on the Ritz." I'm sure there's a rabbit hole there, too, but it's not one I've delved.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Sanael said:
13 minutes ago, Skallabjorn said:

Spaceballs, cafe scene

Spaceballs used "Hello my Baby," simultaneously parodying both Alien and Looney Tunes (which was itself parodying the Cary Grant movie Once Upon a Time).

Yep, a Looney Tunes classic!

To aid in the young folks' cultural education: :lol:

https://youtu.be/evgEJlOPoeo

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Sanael said:

Young Frankenstein, as pointed out by esteemed scholar and Man-about-town @Chris Palmer, is the Mel Brooks joint you're looking for if you want "Puttin' on the Ritz." I'm sure there's a rabbit hole there, too, but it's not one I've delved.

I was going for the picture , rather than the text, but either way, Mel Brooks (USA,CE Veteran, by the way).

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Marc said:

Has there been any word on when we see what Part 2 of the Undersea expansion is???

Since the Greek Expansion was revealed first, we will probably see the second part of that one before we see the second part of the Undersea one.  So after the Greek Expansion part 2 would be my guess. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Sanael said:

Ok, so I got myself curious and delved that rabbit hole. It's actually not nearly as deep as the "Hello my Baby" dive, which stretches back through multiple layers of parody and performance to the 1890's.

"Ritz" was originally written (Irving Berlin) in the late 20's and hit the masses in 1930 due to the movie of the same name (performed by Harry Richman, with whom I am otherwise unfamiliar), which doesn't much matter to Young Frankenstein. Fred Astaire also recorded the song in 1930, but the choreography, particularly the tap break, in Young Frankenstein is clearly a direct parody of Astaire's 1946 performance in Blue Skies. Honorable mention goes to Clark Gable for his performance in Idiot's Delight, also a fun send-up of the number (with a bit of a nod to the original Richman performance), but I don't think Brooks was drawing from Gable's performance.

I know we've got a pirate ship, but after all this talk I think I'd also like to see a Bones playhouse, like maybe a golden age movie house, with the big curtains and balconies and footlights. Lots of good dramatic moments to see at a play. Scaramouche, anyone?

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

@Marc there was no mention of it on today's show.

1 minute ago, Sanael said:

I know we've got a pirate ship, but after all this talk I think I'd also like to see a Bones playhouse, like maybe a golden age movie house, with the big curtains and balconies and footlights. Lots of good dramatic moments to see at a play. Scaramouche, anyone?

Only if we can get Statler and Wadorf for the balcony.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 12

5 minutes ago, Sanael said:

Chronoscope just got meta ::P:

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Skallabjorn said:

Spaceballs, cafe scene

I was mainly asking about the "Putting on the Ritz" reference, since I've only ever heard it referred to ^_^;;;

1 hour ago, Chris Palmer said:

The movie "Young Frankenstein".  The monster's dance number:

https://youtu.be/ab7NyKw0VYQ

Ah, many thanks.  I've never seen that.... ^_^

59 minutes ago, Chris Palmer said:

Yep, a Looney Tunes classic!

To aid in the young folks' cultural education: :lol:

https://youtu.be/evgEJlOPoeo

Ahhh, the old frog. ^_^

• Like 7
  • Confused 1