ladystorm

Reaper Bones 5 : Enthusiasm and Commentary Thread

6 minutes ago, Chris Palmer said:

I feel like Reaper should release an illustrated instructional phamplet for us:  “How to Casually Introduce a 36” long Pirate Ship into the Covnersation at your Game Group.”  

I think that we’d all benefit. ::):

I'm DMing the Savage Tide adventure path with some of the same people.  I don't need an excuse to bring up a pirate ship, I've been taunting them with dreams of having their own sailing vessel for ages....

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

Number Based on 1000-1100 Reaper time today:
Current Total Pledges: $1,863,511
Current Total Backers: 14,296
Next Goal At $1,890,000
To go to Next Goal $26,489
Hours to next goal based on gains this hour: 14.8
Hours to next goal based on 24h Avg: 15.0

Gain in last Hour: $1,795
New Backers This Hour: 11
Total Gain Today: $16,321
Total Gain 24 Hours: $42,411
Average Hourly Pledges Today: $1,360
Average Hourly Pledges 24 Hours: $1,767
Current Average Pledge: $130.35
Average Hourly Backers Today: 6.7
Average Hourly Backers 24 Hours: 9.6
Previous Hour Total Pledges: $1,861,716
Previous Hour Total Backers: 14,285
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 6

3 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Only if they do it in two versions then, we need at least one generic ship to be able to function as a Navy/Merchant/Pirate Ship.

While I love Undead it would be too specific in translucent.

It might put me off buying it.

As mentioned above, translucent Bones and opaque Bones are the same plastic, but the latter has an opacifier added and the former doesn't. If you prime opaque, you won't see any difference. (Wizkids figures with tranlucent parts often do this, btw.)

3 hours ago, Maledrakh said:

By my reckoning, if they are to do translucent at all,  it would be best in clear translucent and not green or any other colour.

Clear gives the most flexibility:  you can stain it to any colour you want and not be limited by the green of the material, and of course you can choose to paint it normally.

Preach it, Brother! ::D:

I can make clear into anything, but purple (for instance) can only be opaque or something close to purple on the color wheel unless it has a very low dye density.

• Like 10

14 hours ago, Corsair said:

Fungal companion? Is that the gamer who never bathes or brush their teeth?

Yes. He passes out hand towels at Gencon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

As mentioned above, translucent Bones and opaque Bones are the same plastic, but the latter has an opacifier added and the former doesn't. If you prime opaque, you won't see any difference. (Wizkids figures with translucent parts often do this, btw.)

Preach it, Brother! ::D:

I can make clear into anything, but purple (for instance) can only be opaque or something close to purple on the color wheel unless it has a very low dye density.

It would be interesting to have one of each type from the same mold to see if the opacifier chemical or compound has any perceivable effect on density, flexibility, texture, or paint acceptance.

Edited by Skallabjorn
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, LittleBluberry said:

I'm hoping that today is a good day for people to be talking about Bones 5 at their D&D game or hobby shop.  I know I expect to bring up that pirate ship later today.  ::D:

I asked my group last week.  1 doesn't paint,  2 can't afford it, and the 4th guy has bought in to 1-5 but doesn't really paint either.  We're going to try a paint night again, next week. Unless everyone has an excuse, again.  After that I give up. 

Surprised the social media goal hasn't been reached yet. Especially as it adds to core. 

• Like 9

I just realized that a 3-foot ship won't come close to fitting in the spray booth I use for airbrushing. That could prove to be a bit of a challenge for me.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

So, if they stick to the average of 14 unlocks per map, with five maps confirmed, we're probably going to get less than twenty more unlocks. Since I'm fairly confident that the pledged amount will probably double in the next three weeks, that seems stretched pretty thin. I'm placing my bet on a mysterious sixth map making an appearance, and upping the unlocks to upwards of thirty more, most of which will come in the last two or three days of the KS.

• Like 8

My gaming group is finally meeting today, first session since July. 2 people are already in the Kickstarter. Probably going to hear a lot about 3 foot pirate ships tonight ::P:

• Like 10
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Fnordlover said:

So, if they stick to the average of 14 unlocks per map, with five maps confirmed, we're probably going to get less than twenty more unlocks. Since I'm fairly confident that the pledged amount will probably double in the next three weeks, that seems stretched pretty thin. I'm placing my bet on a mysterious sixth map making an appearance, and upping the unlocks to upwards of thirty more, most of which will come in the last two or three days of the KS.

Given how this Kickstarter has gone so far, Reaper would be missing a big opportunity if they weren’t planning for things to go farther than they initially expected.  I wouldn’t be at all surprised if there wasn’t new maps being drawn, as well as new concept art at this time.  I don’t think they want to run out of goals at any point.  As long as we have money to spend I think they will produce goals for us to spend it on.

• Like 12

12 hours ago, Skallabjorn said:

Note: If you recognize some of those minis - YOU ARE OLD!

Didn't really recognize the minis, but instantly recognized the terrain kit...  I have a box of each of those sitting in the closet, waiting for paint...

3 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Gragg Elfslayer social update: approximately 3750.

Really surprising they didn't include this figure in the update, instead they just said "we haven't reached it yet".

3 minutes ago, klarg1 said:

I just realized that a 3-foot ship won't come close to fitting in the spray booth I use for airbrushing. That could prove to be a bit of a challenge for me.

And that's why I'm planning on buying two of those portable booths...  Errr, two only gives you 33" of work space.  Uh oh.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Skallabjorn said:

It would be interesting to have one of each type from the same mold to see if the opacifier chemical or compound has any perceivable effect on density, flexibility, texture, or paint acceptance.

Take a look at 77450 and 77068 (for example; all the Invisible Adventurers are also available in both clear and white). I didn't notice much if any difference between the two versions of the figure.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

I asked my group last week.  1 doesn't paint,  2 can't afford it, and the 4th guy has bought in to 1-5 but doesn't really paint either.  We're going to try a paint night again, next week. Unless everyone has an excuse, again.  After that I give up. 

Surprised the social media goal hasn't been reached yet. Especially as it adds to core. 

And don't forget, folks. General consensus I have seen for a "tabletop standard" paint job is 3 colors, plus a level of base finish. Colored sand and white glue are the easiest for that, IMO. Not saying you can't or shouldn't strive for more, this is just where I see the line being drawn between Painted, Unpainted, Primed, and partially painted minis. Just my two cents, your mileage may vary.

1 hour ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Didn't really recognize the minis, but instantly recognized the terrain kit...  I have a box of each of those sitting in the closet, waiting for paint...

Really surprising they didn't include this figure in the update, instead they just said "we haven't reached it yet".

And that's why I'm planning on buying two of those portable booths...  Errr, two only gives you 33" of work space.  Uh oh.

image.png.effd99d10704bbe3bead85e911a45df7.png

Dimensions: 9 ft W x 6 ft D x 5.5 ft H

$47.75 on Amazon with free shipping.

Edited by Skallabjorn
Remove commercial link
  • Like 6

20 minutes ago, klarg1 said:

You know those occasional threads where someone asks if they should "assemble, then paint" or "paint, then assemble".

This just took it to the next level.

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

2 minutes ago, Cranky Dog said:

You know those occasional threads where someone asks if they should "assemble, then paint" or "paint, then assemble".

This just took it to the next level.

Yeah, that one is a can of worms, with strong proponents on both sides. Me, I sit firmly in the middle, as my real concern is final results rather than consistent process.

• Like 6