ladystorm

Reaper Bones 5 : Enthusiasm and Commentary Thread

6 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Maybe you're right, I have painted the phase cat( removed the tentacles) the banshee and the tentacle set for a diorama at this point.

I must say the smaller details like eyes and teeth were very hard to see, but that could be me, I need a visor to paint these.

I'm still a bit reluctant about a translucent ship especially since it won't be a cheap option.

I will need to think about that, I'm hoping for either both options or a solid one at this point.

One of the things I liked about the new Black Bones are the enhanced details.

I kinda hoped the ship would be from that material.

I have the Barge, if it will be like that I will be happy with it.

You can do translucent Bones Black, too. (Reaper did in Bones 4.)

One of the tricks I used in my class was to prime one copy of the class mini with opaque paint and wash it with a dark color specifically so that the students could see the details. Made it much easier to figure out what I was seeing.

Of course this works better for a $3 miniature than for a $NNN large kit. :rolleyes:

• Like 7

I just got brave enough to add up the stuff I'm wanting. Presuming the Pulp Encounter is $18 I'm looking at just under $200. I feel like that can't be right. The Greek expansion is a probable add. The ship is a desperate desire, but there are so many things that can happen between "We're making this awesome ship" and "Here's the ship" that I'm actively trying to not get excited about it. 

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

I have a few translucent minis, painted a few of those.

To be honest I feel like the translucents have a little softer detail than the normal ones.

I do not want a translucent ship, I want it to be sturdy and well detailed.

We'll see what happens.

If it is translucent I will not buy one.

Who knows, perhaps they'll make both.

• Like 5

I will try to temper my excitement about the ship in case it won't be a solid one.

For now there is little else I really really need, most of the stuff I want is part of sets which contain too much I don't want.

Those minis will be bought in retail then, like that Hydra.

I do hope the rest of the underwater set will be to my liking. And I might get that Goroloth.

Maybe the paints.

• Like 6

45 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

I will try to temper my excitement about the ship in case it won't be a solid one.

For now there is little else I really really need, most of the stuff I want is part of sets which contain too much I don't want.

Those minis will be bought in retail then, like that Hydra.

I do hope the rest of the underwater set will be to my liking. And I might get that Goroloth.

Maybe the paints.

I share this feeling. 

I may not paint the ship for a long while. If it’s in Grey I can still use it effectively until I do. If it’s clear, I can’t and it would not have any detail until it gets painted. So, unfortunately if it is only available in clear plastic then I would pass too. 

• Like 6

Were there any indications that the ship might be translucent? I've only seen backers wish for that, nothing from Reaper themselves. Ron was talking about making a ghostly ship by painting it grey in Reaper Live.

I've to agree with Glitterwolf, I'd vastly prefer the ship in a solid, light grey material. For the more casual customer looking for a ship for D&D or Pathfinder or whatever it'd be an advantage to see all the details directly and have a material they have more likely already worked with in the past. Not everyone knows how well translucent plastic paints up. Also, imho, unpainted translucent Bones kinda look like children's toys to me. You can do cool things with them ofc.

• Like 4

Per comments in the KS:

Ron Hawkinsabout 19 hours ago

I think having a ship in translucent green would be awesome! This is a good Ed question though.

Ed?

Reaper MiniaturesCreatorabout 18 hours ago

With the tool loaded a run in translucent could be achieved.

Lets look at that idea but we need to research it to make sure we can get translucent in styrene and abs.~

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

Okay, so it obviously was originally planned for solid, but might be able in translucent. Hopefully, this would mean both being available.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I am a bit sad the shadow dragon is grey translucent instead of clear, myself. Really limits what I can do with the transparency and the color scheme I want

Ah well,mine will be painted solid

Edited by Sirithiliel
  • Like 10

55 minutes ago, TripleH said:

I would much prefer to have the option of both and would probably get one of each.

I think that’s what a lot of customers would think. Especially if they walked into a store and saw both versions.

• Like 7

My "feeling" is if only one type is offered, it will be non-translucent and probably gray or they will offer both, so I wouldn't be overly worried.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1