ladystorm

Reaper Bones 5 : Enthusiasm and Commentary Thread

Well, we are under 12K to go for the Draugrs. I would look for Reaper to try the ship for a 3million mark. THAT could definitely spark some investing. As far as green vs clear, if both a solid and translucent is offered, I would have no preference, only depending on if the windows in the Captain's quarters looked in to a playable/scenic opportunity. Then a clear would be preferable.

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, Citrine said:

As much as I would love the ship, we do not have room for it.  We are already out of room for minis, but that is not stopping me from backing Bones 5, but the ship I don't think there is a way it can fit anywhere on our home.

You know if you knock out your drywall there's actually space between the studs of the frame where you can stick stuff.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 21

41 minutes ago, PaganMegan said:

In reality, yes.

In people's heads, no.

Sure, they can hit it with a green transparent paint for the same effect, but a translucent green ship will be seen as ghostly, while people will think a clear ship is invisible.

Just like people think that because something is salty and orange it must taste like cheese. <_<

I would bet that green would sell better than clear, and that an opaque model will sell better than translucent green.

If going for two colors, opaque standard Bones color and translucent green would be the best choices.

She has not forgiven us for having Cheesits on the table during last night's game. ::P: (I have no idea who brought them, only that it wasn't me! :lol: )

The Auld Grump - I think she stole the 'orange and salty' from me....

2 hours ago, Chris Palmer said:

In the update it was called a “Fungal Companion”, belonging to the Dark Elf Apothecary it’s standing next to. 

Looks like a species of wild hen in the woods - which is edible....

The Auld Grump

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

5 hours ago, Smokestack said:

oh if they offer cannons for individual sale, I will get a bunch extra for my play Mobil and fisher price ships. 

IMHO...

The smartest thing they could do is arrange for one of the multiple injection molds to be devoted to the hard styrene (or rigid bonesium*) components. Make that one mold be devoted to masts and cannons and gun carriages. 

Then later at retail they could sell masts and cannon kits to all the numerous folk who find a big pirate ship to be beyond their budget. 

@Reaper Ron my non-scientific, admittedly anecdotal, sense of things is that there are 10x gamers out there who need cannon and masts for every one that needs an entire ship. 

Edited by TGP
*I am not a materials scientist...
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Corsair said:

Looking at the add-ons, I think to make the Acme Goblin Launcher I will use the catapult instead of the trebuchet.

Citadel Goblobber, 1991. I own one.

58 minutes ago, PaganMegan said:

In reality, yes.

In people's heads, no.

Sure, they can hit it with a green transparent paint for the same effect, but a translucent green ship will be seen as ghostly, while people will think a clear ship is invisible.

Just like people think that because something is salty and orange it must taste like cheese. <_<

I would bet that green would sell better than clear, and that an opaque model will sell better than translucent green.

If going for two colors, opaque standard Bones color and translucent green would be the best choices.

Salted Canteloupe! DELICIOUS!!!!

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

It's all PVC; the big difference is how much plasticizer is used (and the concomitant differences in molds). IME, it's the plasticizer that reacts badly with the solvent in rattle-can paints to make minis tacky, which would mesh with the different experience using rattle-cans with Bones Black.

Relatedly, an isopropyl alcohol soak removes quite a bit of plasticizer from the plastic near the surface of miniatures (I've used it with both early Bones figures and early CAV figures), making them less floppy, less hydrophobic, and seemingly less prone to stickiness when sprayed. YMMV, of course.

Excellent information.  Do you know of any further resources for researching this?

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, GMStuff said:

Excellent information.  Do you know of any further resources for researching this?

I don't. I was annoyed by the plasticizer and read on a plastics manufacturing website that it was possible that some solvents could leach plasticizer (which was a bad thing in that application) and so I started experimenting. The rest has come from playing since then.

• Like 8

18 Gun Sloop-Of-War...

4 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

That's what interests me. That sounds like a very different production process than Bones (PVC), possibly more like a typical plastic model kit.

I was told that most injection molding machines want a mold to be no bigger than a 12x12 inch block of steel? Maybe that was just the limits for Thomas?

But it seems obvious that the ship is going to be a multi-mold process no matter what. But given that, it creates the opportunity to make different parts of the ship from different materials. Perhaps allowing it to be the Second Bones product* to created from different materials with each portion of the ship crafted from the optimum material for that component. 

*Wyrmgear was the first, right?

3 hours ago, Sirithiliel said:

From Izzy's Facebook

FB_IMG_1570926215253.jpg

I had not read the update but just seeing the picture I figured Druid and Sapling Treeman?  That looks like an animated tree stump or section of tree trunk. But woodland apothecary works for me...

...nice art Izzy.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Mckenna35 said:

FWIW, if you go with a CO2 tank, you don't need to worry about a power cord (or a moisture trap for your line, or noise).  Your choice.  ::):

If you're doing short sessions and only rarely, CO2 can be a good choice for some folks. But it's expensive and has real problems with adiabatic cooling* when you use it, though.

* As the pressure in the can drops, the can cools very rapidly, causing a major pressure drop. This can be ameliorated to some extent at least by putting the can in a bucket of warm water when it gets cold or keeping it in warm water while you use it.

• Like 5

If you want to mod the reaper catapult into something similar, this was the complete kit.

Related image

As assembled

Related image

Bones 5 Hammerfist Catapult

image.png.79902a7fe146fcfde160090f6284a8b6.png

Does not look like a difficult Conversion. Hardest part would be Characterful Crew.

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

First D&D game since Bones 5 launched and we already needed one of the core set models.  (The basilisk.)

Somehow no matter what game we play, we always need the bit that's not available yet.  :rolleyes:

Edited by LittleBluberry
Fixed typo
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

image.png.79902a7fe146fcfde160090f6284a8b6.png

Honestly, as much as I love my Goblobber, with the bend in the throwing arm, the obvious tension in the torsion rope bundle, and the presence of the release rope, the Reaper model is a SUPERIOR sculpt. I am ordering 3.

Edited by Skallabjorn
  • Like 8

Slight rant - not directed at anyone in particular.

I'm really getting tired of people "remembering" things like "Reaper did X in the last campaign" or "X was Y" with wrong/incorrect information when they're commenting on the KS comments and elsewhere for things that are easy enough to look up by looking at the Kickstarter or Kicktraq page for the previous campaigns.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, kristof65 said:

Slight rant - not directed at anyone in particular.

I'm really getting tired of people "remembering" things like "Reaper did X in the last campaign" or "X was Y" with wrong/incorrect information when they're commenting on the KS comments and elsewhere for things that are easy enough to look up by looking at the Kickstarter or Kicktraq page for the previous campaigns.

Probably the same ones who "forget" and "remember" rules when it most convenient for them on the tabletop. Just sayin'.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3