ladystorm

Reaper Bones 5 : Enthusiasm and Commentary Thread

12 hours ago, Smokestack said:

Twitch made it sound like they may only do ship in translucent... but you can always paint it if you dont want translucent... That means it will be a pass from me. Not confirmed yet, but that comment did not sound promising... 

Well that will save me money then..:down:

4 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

I honestly do not understand that point of view; it is easy enough to use a brown primer over the translucent Bones - and if I were painting a full ship, that would be my starting point anyways, so it would add neither time nor expense to the project. :unsure:

Army Painter has some very nice brown primers available in rattle cans. I would most likely start with Leather Brown. (Fur Brown would also work, but I prefer the Leather Brown for wood.) And I have always had excellent results using Army Painter spray primers over Bones - even the ones from the Bones I KS.

The Auld Grump - Brown Liner from Reaper would also work - but would need to be applied by hand.

Two reasons for me;

• Translucent Bones have always been more floppy, a ship like this needs to be of sturdy material or we will have drooping masts in no time.
  • I know others disagree, but I find the translucent Bones lacking in detail, or at least it is more obscured and I have trouble in making that out. 

Bottom line, if it comes in translucent, no ship for me.

Which is a shame because I really wanted one.

On the other hand the small boat that was shown, that's promising!

I want at least one maybe three of those!

As for the Brinewind expansion, I love the look of these Undead Pirates, but I have no use for them.

I might pick up one or two in retail later.

As for Chronoscope coming on map 6, that might mean it won't come at all :unsure:

Gem Dragon, not my thing.

But I can see it will attract backers if it comes in clear translucent

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 8
  • Confused 1

It's unlikely my budget would stretch to the ship (but if it did it would definitely be for Napoleonic skirmish gaming, rather than fantasy RPG, which it just seems all wrong for), but my objection to translucent is the constraints it must put on how this thing is constructed.

Presumably there are going to be all sorts of tabs and slots and supports needed on such a behemoth, which are going to look unsightly if you can see right through it! 

• Like 12

3 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Condos meet my definition of overly urbanzed living arrangements.

Of course, I'm also the person who is currently making arrangements to move to a nearly 5 acre parcel out in what most people would consider as Rural America but we view as just "barely out in the country", with the state Caital Complex barely 30 minutes away.

GEM

As someone who moved out to 5 acres in the countryside 3 1/2 years ago and has been working on turning it into a farm ever since, let me warn you that it's a *lot* more work than it looks like. Ergo, you will have a great deal less time for minis/models/gaming.

• Like 9

The treasure golem and the gem dragon really hit a sweet spot for me. Many of those social media or backer goals were more "fun" sculpts (in Bones IV as well), but these seem to be unique enough for painters while at the same time useful for RPG encounters. 

I also like the pirates, while I have enough skeletons these look really unique.  And it's the perfect amount to make an encounter out of, without buying loads of duplicates or leaving half of them in the box. Hoping to see the otters and cats and humans all in there, for tons of variations in our ship crewing needs.

I'd also really, really prefer a solid ship. Details might be there after painting, but it'll just look like a big green blob in the shelves. And it risks potential customers going "oh, a ghost ship! Neat, but I don't need one of those." 

If the argument for green vs clear is "otherwise people might think it's an invisible ship and not buy it for their ghost ship needs" the argument against translucent generally would be that people might see it as a pure ghost ship. While ghost ships are great and all, I still think "normal" ships are the thing people are more likely to spend that amount of money on. And given the cost of that big item, I wouldn't buy a green blob in a store on the hopes of it turning into the "normal" ship I want after a paint job. 

Also, our undead pirates this go around are themselves skeletons and not translucent ghosts, so a rotting, disgusting ship diving up from the seas seems to fit better than a ghost thing blinking into existence.

• Like 10

My translucent bones have always been firmer than regular bones. That isn't the norm?

2 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

• Translucent Bones have always been more floppy, a ship like this needs to be of sturdy material or we will have drooping masts in no time.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, lexomatic said:

My translucent bones have always been firmer than regular bones. That isn't the norm?

Maybe it depends on the batch?

Mine weren't as sturdy as the regular Bones.

I like painting some when i need ghosts or something supernatural, don't get me wrong.

I don't hate translucents. Sometimes they are very useful.

But for such a big ship I want a sturdy model with visible details and not a toy in a bright colour.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Ardeus said:

Yay! I finally caught up!  (Now that I’m past my work deadline) I’m pretty excited about the ship. When talking about the size, it reminded me of the USS Constellation which is docked in the harbor in Baltimore (which @Chris Palmer and @Smokestack may know about as they are from Maryland). It is a pretty cool ship. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Constellation_(1854)

Congrats on getting caught up!  And, yes, I have visited the Constellation a couple times; it's a really cool ship!

And, which makes me want to point out to those folks talking about spraying it brown; the more common base color for this kind of 18th century style sailing ship was black, with trim of various colors. 

Love the new skeletal pirates, and looking forward to a whole pirate themed expansion!  This one is going on the pledge list.

And kudos to us, we have reached 300 pages!  Something tells me 1000 pages is going to come a lot quicker this time. ::):

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Number Based on 0500-0600 Reaper time today:
Current Total Pledges: $2,053,730
Current Total Backers: 15,118
Next Goal At $2,090,000
To go to Next Goal $36,270
Hours to next goal based on gains this hour: 29.3
Hours to next goal based on 24h Avg: 16.3

Gain in last Hour: $1,238
New Backers This Hour: 7
Total Gain Today: $8,654
Total Gain 24 Hours: $53,258
Average Hourly Pledges Today: $1,236
Average Hourly Pledges 24 Hours: $2,219
Current Average Pledge: $135.85
Average Hourly Backers Today: 3.6
Average Hourly Backers 24 Hours: 4.0
Previous Hour Total Pledges: $2,052,492
Previous Hour Total Backers: 15,111
Backers to beat Bones 1 2,564
Days to hit Bones 1 based on 24 hour average 27.0
Backers to beat Bones 2 -155
Backers to beat Bones 3 -1653
Backers to beat Bones 4 1080
Days to hit Bones 4 based on 24 hour average 11.4
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 6

Here's hoping we get lots of folks waking up this morning and throwing $50 dollars at Reaper for Pirates!  

We only need 800 of the 15,000 backers to bump their pledges up $50 for the next expansion to unlock today!  Seems like pretty good odds to me. ::):

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, dwarvenranger said:

As someone who moved out to 5 acres in the countryside 3 1/2 years ago and has been working on turning it into a farm ever since, let me warn you that it's a *lot* more work than it looks like. Ergo, you will have a great deal less time for minis/models/gaming.

As someone currently moving from 10 acres to a postage stamp in a subdivision, I sure hope that is the case.  No more 4+ hour mowing sessions....

• Like 7

Wake up and check my email and boom... Reaper just got another $50 out of me.

That's cool though. I'm already looking forward to painting those skeleton pirates. Although, my wife is a Pirates (baseball team) fan. And 705 looks like he could be easily modified to be holding a baseball bat. So he may not stay a pirate, at least not the nautical kind, for long after I get my hands on him. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

Number Based on 0600-0700 Reaper time today:
Current Total Pledges: $2,054,710
Current Total Backers: 15,120
Next Goal At $2,090,000
To go to Next Goal $35,290
Hours to next goal based on gains this hour: 36.0
Hours to next goal based on 24h Avg: 16.2

Gain in last Hour: $980
New Backers This Hour: 2
Total Gain Today: $9,634
Total Gain 24 Hours: $52,141
Average Hourly Pledges Today: $1,204
Average Hourly Pledges 24 Hours: $2,173
Current Average Pledge: $135.89
Average Hourly Backers Today: 3.4
Average Hourly Backers 24 Hours: 3.9
Previous Hour Total Pledges: $2,053,730
Previous Hour Total Backers: 15,118
Backers to beat Bones 1 2,562
Days to hit Bones 1 based on 24 hour average 27.3
Backers to beat Bones 2 -157
Backers to beat Bones 3 -1655
Backers to beat Bones 4 1078
Days to hit Bones 4 based on 24 hour average 11.5
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 6

6 hours ago, Ardeus said:

Yay! I finally caught up!  (Now that I’m past my work deadline) I’m pretty excited about the ship. When talking about the size, it reminded me of the USS Constellation which is docked in the harbor in Baltimore (which @Chris Palmer and @Smokestack may know about as they are from Maryland). It is a pretty cool ship. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Constellation_(1854)

Yeah, I think every child in Maryland goes on a field trip to Fort McHenry, the Shot tower, Betsy Ross's house and the Constellation. And now i don't live far from John Wilkes Booth house here in Bel Air. Though as an adult I have passed these things, I havent been to them in 30 years...

• Like 6

I went in for a dollar and am still waiting to up.

If Reaper would confirm the material of the ship and the price tag it would help.

Also when it is clear what's in the expansions I might up.

As of now, I'm waiting.

• Like 4

Do we know how big the loathsome trolls are? I know they showed off some prints (the "pot head" at least) on twitch, but I don't remember if they said what size it is. Particularly, I'd like to know if the Loathsome Trolls, the troll in Dungeon Dwellers expansion and the Moor Troll from bones 4 are roughly the same? They are looking like classic 4-finger trolls, and together they would make a nice band I could terrorize my players with.

• Like 6