ladystorm

Reaper Bones 5 : Enthusiasm and Commentary Thread

51 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

Glad you've been getting some use out of them.  I've been using Gloss Mod Podge and a tooth pick to make the window panes.  I've also found that painting the resulting "glass" with Tamiya clears makes a pretty good looking stained glass effect. 

that sounds like Winterset. 

I got really discouraged about Bones 5 yesterday, and dropped my pledge down to a minimum.   The only reason I'm still in right now is the siege engines, and maybe the ship. I'm getting frustrated with Reaper's scattershot approach to Chronoscope - there are so many great ideas in that line that would be great for tabletop skirmish games, except for the fact that there is only one sculpt. One of the things that makes the Bones line great in fantasy is the inexpensive horde creatures like kobolds and goblins - but other than the NOVA Corp and IMEF, Reaper doesn't seem willing to do that for Chronoscope. 

Don't despair! 

I heard there will be a lot of expansions on this KS, for sure chronoscope (or similar take) will be one of them. If not I think it will be the first time they don't have any Sci-fi stuff 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Skallabjorn said:

I think a part of the problem is popularity. Historically, and from what I have personally seen, the clear majority of miniatures gamers are historic, followed by fantasy, followed by science fiction, with moderns bringing up the rear (my definition of "modern" is post WW2, YMMV). Having a significant part of the science fiction gamers trapped in the Grimdark Citadel of the 40,000 Warhammer Overlords does not help, either. I, and others like me, have been struggling to free them, but it is a long hard road.

I get that. Sci-Fi minis outside the 400lb gorilla that is 40k are hard to find (although Star Wars Legions is catching up), especially at retail.  I've spent a lot of time trying to find affordable units of minis - especially aliens - that aren't recognizably 40k or Star Wars, and it's hard to find them. 

But Reaper is one of the only "generic" mini manufacturers that can regularly be found at retail.  They have opportunities where others don't. One of the game stores I try to visit when I can says that while they won't carry much Chronoscope despite having a huge wall of Bones, he always tries to have NOVA Corp and IMEF in stock, because they sell fairly well. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

I got really discouraged about Bones 5 yesterday, and dropped my pledge down to a minimum.   The only reason I'm still in right now is the siege engines, and maybe the ship. I'm getting frustrated with Reaper's scattershot approach to Chronoscope - there are so many great ideas in that line that would be great for tabletop skirmish games, except for the fact that there is only one sculpt. One of the things that makes the Bones line great in fantasy is the inexpensive horde creatures like kobolds and goblins - but other than the NOVA Corp and IMEF, Reaper doesn't seem willing to do that for Chronoscope. 

I'm right there with you. I like the fact that they often break out the Core set, so I could theoretically create a unit by ordering multiples of just one or two sculpts. However, I don't believe they break out the figures in the $50 expansions, so it would be more difficult or expensive to create units from those.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Skallabjorn said:

I think a part of the problem is popularity. Historically, and from what I have personally seen, the clear majority of miniatures gamers are historic, followed by fantasy, followed by science fiction, with moderns bringing up the rear (my definition of "modern" is post WW2, YMMV). Having a significant part of the science fiction gamers trapped in the Grimdark Citadel of the 40,000 Warhammer Overlords does not help, either. I, and others like me, have been struggling to free them, but it is a long hard road.

I agree that modern and Sci-Fi have trouble selling at the numbers we see for other genres (outside of 40k's market dominance), but I am not so sure that historical gamers are the majority of the miniatures-buying market in terms of dollars spent. Certainly, when I look at game store shelves it does not look that way to me.

I strongly suspect that GW fans, role players, and assorted other fictional gamers add up to at least as much, if not significantly more.

Now, I have no data to back up my instincts, only anecdotes from local stores and assorted conventions. I'll spare you any of that, because it shouldn't convince you at all. I would be very interested to see data that tells me I'm wrong.

• Like 6

I know historical themed minis usually take up pages upon pages of clearance sales on various e-tailer sites. 

• Like 4

My observations have been that fantasy roleplayers are the dominant audience in Reaper's kickstarters, by a wide margin, followed in distant second by non-gamers (collectors, painters). Wargamers and non-fantasy roleplayers appear to be a tiny fraction.

• Like 8

Less than $30,000 to goal. 

probably another late night unlock... but at least it looks like we’re managing one a day again. 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, klarg1 said:

I agree that modern and Sci-Fi have trouble selling at the numbers we see for other genres (outside of 40k's market dominance), but I am not so sure that historical gamers are the majority of the miniatures-buying market in terms of dollars spent. Certainly, when I look at game store shelves it does not look that way to me.

I strongly suspect that GW fans, role players, and assorted other fictional gamers add up to at least as much, if not significantly more.

Now, I have no data to back up my instincts, only anecdotes from local stores and assorted conventions. I'll spare you any of that, because it shouldn't convince you at all. I would be very interested to see data that tells me I'm wrong.

What I was looking at is the generally available ranges of minis, both online and at physical stores. Remember "historic" (IMO) is pretty much everything from ancients (DBA, etc) all the way up to WW2., including 1/285 armor and 1/600 or 1/1200 naval. Admittedly, the clear majority of those are 1/72 scale or smaller (with 15mm STILL being the dominant range from what I have seen).

On the other hand, I personally use one of Reaper's historics (Meiji period officer) as a Commissar in 40k, And several of their Bones Deadlands/Pulp/Zombie survivors for a Necromunda gang. As I have stated before, manufacturer/period is really only critical for tournament gaming. For anything else, (even 40k), close is good enough for me. I have WW2 Soviets and Japanese troops from other manufacturers that work very well as Imperial Guard, and some VERY characterful WW2 themed orcs (including a conversion I did of a snotling ammo bearer driving a 1/72 scale Kettenkrad). I personally would love to see more space opera/galaxy at war type minis myself, and honestly do hope they will be in this KS.

More Bathalians, more Aliens in general, and more high tech minis would be lovely, though.

20 minutes ago, ironregime said:

My observations have been that fantasy roleplayers are the dominant audience in Reaper's kickstarters, by a wide margin, followed in distant second by non-gamers (collectors, painters). Wargamers and non-fantasy roleplayers appear to be a tiny fraction.

Very true. I, myself, honestly wish they had the capability or interest in doing boxed units along the lines of Mantic, Warlord, or the Perrys, but 28mm historic is a very new and niche market at this point, and Reaper seems to focus on "Now Groo does what Groo does best". No blame there, just what I would like to see.

Edited by Skallabjorn
  • Like 6

13 hours ago, Cyradis said:

This all depends on the shape of those darn crystals, not the color!

not for me, these are maaaagic crystals that grow out of the skin of a dragon! ::P:

i'm a stickler on realistic anatomy, but geology not so much. we all have our sticking points eh?

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

53 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Would it make sense to buy multiples of the same mold to increase throughput or is one of each a better way to go?

Depends on what you are doing.  If you are doing a lot of floor for something like a game board or dungeon crawl then it can make sense to have a second floor tile mold. Likewise, if you are building towers or castle walls you might want a second wall mold.  Most of the molds I used had multiple floor tiles and/or wall bricks on each, but there are some dedicated floor-only and brick-only molds.   It's also not an all-or-nothing process.   If you just need floor, you can just pour the floor tiles, and skip the wall bricks and other bits on the mold.    When I was doing dungeon tiles I used most of the mold, since I wanted the columns, arches, finials, and whatnot to dress up each piece.  It's worth looking at their site to see what can be done and what others have done, and how they did it.  You'll very quickly get a feel for how much you need to pour when you start.   I haven't been on the forums there in ages, but they were very helpful folk, much like this place. 

If you play CAV they have a line of small scale city bricks that are pretty cool for making terrain boards. 

Edited by Inarah
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, NyarlaBcn said:

Don't despair! 

I heard there will be a lot of expansions on this KS, for sure chronoscope (or similar take) will be one of them. If not I think it will be the first time they don't have any Sci-fi stuff 

Chronoscope is Reaper's red-headed stepchild.  It gets very little love.  I'm not "sure" at all that it will get an expansion of its own.   

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Inarah said:

Chronoscope is Reaper's red-headed stepchild.  It gets very little love.  I'm not "sure" at all that it will get an expansion of its own.   

Unfortunate, but true. Chronoscope, on some levels, appears to me to be a dumping ground with the basic tag of "Not Fantasy".

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Inarah said:

Its been mentioned that its coming up.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1