ladystorm

Reaper Bones 5 : Enthusiasm and Commentary Thread

2 minutes ago, Inarah said:

I'm not "sure" at all that it will get an expansion of its own.   

To be honest, I don't want it to have a full blown Chronoscope expansion.   The B4 expansion was the same scattershot approach that the entire line shows.  

I'd rather see focused Chrnonoscope add-ons hat were like the Blackstar Corsairs in B3, or maybe even something like the encounter add-ons in B5.  I'd be ecstatic over a single 5 figure Malvernis  or Rach soldier add-on that allowed me to field a cohesive looking unit of Rach or Malvernis soldiers. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Inarah said:

Chronoscope is Reaper's red-headed stepchild.  It gets very little love.  I'm not "sure" at all that it will get an expansion of its own.   

Yup, so far there have been 54 stretch goals reached, with 2 more active and another previewed with NO scifi/Chronoscope. I understand that fantasy is the largest part of the KS and am good with that, but really guys, how bout some love for sci-fi?

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

To be honest, I don't want it to have a full blown Chronoscope expansion.   The B4 expansion was the same scattershot approach that the entire line shows.  

I'd rather see focused Chrnonoscope add-ons hat were like the Blackstar Corsairs in B3, or maybe even something like the encounter add-ons in B5.  I'd be ecstatic over a single 5 figure Malvernis  or Rach soldier add-on that allowed me to field a cohesive looking unit of Rach or Malvernis soldiers. 

This is a very good point, I like this.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Corsair said:

This is a very good point, I like this.

I actually emailed Ron & Ed my thoughts - I really hope they take the time to read it and consider it while there is still time for this KS. 

Here was my list of sci-fi models I felt they could expand into units:
The Illyrians (50129,51241)
Andromedan Hunters (50136 - yes, the three Andromedan's were done in Bones 4, but only 50136 is really useful for skirmish tabletop games)
Nine Suns Henchman (50161)
Grace, Holy Assassin (50233)
Sligg Soldier (50017)
Willy Brassbender (50013)
Delta Force Commando (50276)
Rach Soldier (50278)
Malvernis Soldier (50279)
Blood Nebula Mercenary (50300)
Sky Pirate Simon (50310)
Tess McFadden, Mercenary (50330)
Space Goblins (50342 & 50343)
Admiral Gnoph (50345)
Argamite Explorer (50346)
Korkosan Explorer (50347)

Maybe if all the other sci-fi fans here reached out to them more directly with their top 5 favorites from this list, we could get an add on or two? 

• Like 10

1 minute ago, kristof65 said:

I actually emailed Ron & Ed my thoughts - I really hope they take the time to read it and consider it while there is still time for this KS. 

Here was my list of sci-fi models I felt they could expand into units:
The Illyrians (50129,51241)
Andromedan Hunters (50136 - yes, the three Andromedan's were done in Bones 4, but only 50136 is really useful for skirmish tabletop games)
Nine Suns Henchman (50161)
Grace, Holy Assassin (50233)
Sligg Soldier (50017)
Willy Brassbender (50013)
Delta Force Commando (50276)
Rach Soldier (50278)
Malvernis Soldier (50279)
Blood Nebula Mercenary (50300)
Sky Pirate Simon (50310)
Tess McFadden, Mercenary (50330)
Space Goblins (50342 & 50343)
Admiral Gnoph (50345)
Argamite Explorer (50346)
Korkosan Explorer (50347)

Maybe if all the other sci-fi fans here reached out to them more directly with their top 5 favorites from this list, we could get an add on or two? 

That is a nice list and a better idea! Also, the anime girls in metal could be very popular.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, Inarah said:

Depends on what you are doing.  If you are doing a lot of floor for something like a game board or dungeon crawl then it can make sense to have a second floor tile mold. Likewise, if you are building towers or castle walls you might want a second wall mold.  

We only have one of most molds, but we also have a few homemade silicon molds of complete floors or walls: cast the pieces to make one floor, assemble, then mold that whole floor. Makes certain projects go a lot faster. Walls are harder because they have texture on all sides, but if you're doing dungeon hallways you can make a flat mold and the "void" side of each wall can be smooth; likewise if you're doing structures that you won't see the interior.

• Like 7

You know, if they offered a couple sprues of modern/sci-fi weapons, then I wouldn't mind all those fantasy figs littering the current KS so much, as I could simply mod them into sci-fi aliens and post-apocalypse mutants...

Edited by ironregime
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Corsair said:

That is a nice list and a better idea! Also, the anime girls in metal could be very popular.

I should note - a lot of those minis did make it into Bones in the B4 Chronoscope Expansion.   But like their metal counterparts, there is only the one of them. 

Likewise with the Sci-Fi dinomen from that expansion - I'd happily field a unit of 3-5 different T-rex guys, or triceratops guys, but I have no interest in fielding the five of them of mixed species. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

It's curious though, that of chronoscope. 

Take GW for example with Warhammer and Warhammer 40K. 

Spain was, apparently, the only place where Warhammer Fantasy had the bigger following (by far). Apparently on the rest of the World 40K is much bigger. 

I always kinda assumed Sci-fi themed minis are more popular than fantasy, though since it's not my theme I never fact checked... 

• Like 7

I wasn't mad on Chronoscope last time. It was a very particular style of space opera/comic book science fiction.

I think it is hard to have generic Sci fi that is sufficiently popular and that might make it unattractive to make too many SF bones minis. Because of the cost of Bones they need to be sure of selling a ton of them. Also, the big SF influences all now have their own plastic mini ranges. 

I don't think a space marine with a bolter and 50 skulls sits well with a 'grey' with a Ray gun. Or an ewok with a cyberpunk. 

Compare that to DnD where, in a single world you have influences from Tolkien, medieval, ancient, Renaissance history, pirates with guns, monsters from horror films, etc. Buyers of those minis are more tolerant of different styles and periods, so people backing this KS for example probably aren't thinking 'how can that Greek soldier ever face a samurai'. 

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

I should note - a lot of those minis did make it into Bones in the B4 Chronoscope Expansion.   But like their metal counterparts, there is only the one of them. 

Likewise with the Sci-Fi dinomen from that expansion - I'd happily field a unit of 3-5 different T-rex guys, or triceratops guys, but I have no interest in fielding the five of them of mixed species. 

Yup, the Blacktooth Supressor makes a pretty good Starfinder Vesk.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Chris Palmer said:

Hopefully it will be made in clear translucent Bones material so we don't have to paint the windows... 

...And come with a dino chauffeur.

...I'd also settle for green translucent so we can use it as a Scooby Doo ghost vehicle...   

... but we'll need an old caretaker in a dino mask...

:lol:

(Sorry just a little punchy this Friday)

cleese.jpg.3ad303a2aff6dcbce3713ef9ef93f74b.jpg

2 hours ago, ksbsnowowl said:

They have stated several times that the ship will not be made from the same material as Bones or Bones Black, but rather the (ABS ?) plastic that was used for the crypt, so as to prevent warping.

That would be very cool!

If that will be the case I will buy it!

1 hour ago, kristof65 said:

I get that. Sci-Fi minis outside the 400lb gorilla that is 40k are hard to find (although Star Wars Legions is catching up), especially at retail.  I've spent a lot of time trying to find affordable units of minis - especially aliens - that aren't recognizably 40k or Star Wars, and it's hard to find them. 

But Reaper is one of the only "generic" mini manufacturers that can regularly be found at retail.  They have opportunities where others don't. One of the game stores I try to visit when I can says that while they won't carry much Chronoscope despite having a huge wall of Bones, he always tries to have NOVA Corp and IMEF in stock, because they sell fairly well. 

I'm mostly into Fantasy, but I would welcome some scifi/pulp and steampunk stuff.

A few units of Aliens, a vehicle or two.

Maybe something like a radarpost or a landing pad.

1 hour ago, Corsair said:

Here's why I'm hoping for the Model A

Ud2wRnt.jpg

I want one to start an expedition into the Desert!

A group of adventurers/scientists will discover how alive the ancient Tomb Lords are!

43 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Yup, so far there have been 54 stretch goals reached, with 2 more active and another previewed with NO scifi/Chronoscope. I understand that fantasy is the largest part of the KS and am good with that, but really guys, how bout some love for sci-fi?

I'm with you!

Add some pulp and steampunk maybe

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

18 minutes ago, ironregime said:

You know, if they offered a couple sprues of modern/sci-fi weapons, then I wouldn't mind all those fantasy figs littering the current KS so much, as I could simply mod them into sci-fi aliens and post-apocalypse mutants...

They do, in metal:
https://www.reapermini.com/search/weapons chronoscope

The problem is that if you want to outfit a squad of 5-10 with one particular gun type, you can spend $40-$90 just getting enough of the gun you want. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 3

7 minutes ago, NyarlaBcn said:

It's curious though, that of chronoscope. 

Take GW for example with Warhammer and Warhammer 40K. 

Spain was, apparently, the only place where Warhammer Fantasy had the bigger following (by far). Apparently on the rest of the World 40K is much bigger. 

I always kinda assumed Sci-fi themed minis are more popular than fantasy, though since it's not my theme I never fact checked... 

Warhammer 40k has a pretty unique style, lore and world, while Fantasy was a more "typical" fantasy setting with knights and dwarfs and elves and what not. Apparently WH Fantasy was also pretty expensive and complicated to get into. Sales might also have been lower for Fantasy since it's easier to proxy a knight than it is to proxy a space marine.

Companys like Reaper that don't mainly support their own game are at least somewhat bound to the trends within the rest of the industry. The rise in popularity of D&D surely brings people into the hobby who want D&D miniatures. At a certain point the lack of Sci-Fi might also be a self-fulfilling prophecy: Bones is mostly known for Fantasy, so people who are interested in Fantasy pledge, bring in their Fantasy friends and so on, while people who are waiting for Sci-Fi don't get that boost in backer nummers, so the Sci-Fi stuff doesn't sell as well, leading to Reaper producing less Sci-Fi because if something doesn't sell it's kinda silly to double down on it.

I'm just happy they didn't have Sci-Fi in the Core Set in Bones IV or V. The Sci-Fi people wouldn't need most of the Core Set, and us Fantasy people would just throw it into a corner, resell or regift it. At a certain point seperated kickstarters or at least marketing offensives might be the way to go to recatch that Sci-Fi crowd. If that's a goal, of course.

• Like 9

I think if you could actually get a good scifi tabletop RPG.  You might get more scifi miniatures.  
Sadly there just isn't anything on par with D&D and Pathfinder.

• Like 5