ladystorm

Reaper Bones 5 : Enthusiasm and Commentary Thread

1 minute ago, Bane Of Humanity said:

I think if you could actually get a good scifi tabletop RPG.  You might get more scifi miniatures.  
Sadly there just isn't anything on par with D&D and Pathfinder.

My group has enjoyed both Starwars and Starfinder.... but we are more of a fantasy group... Still some of the chrnoscope stuff has great crossover appeal even for fantasy.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Bane Of Humanity said:

I think if you could actually get a good scifi tabletop RPG.  You might get more scifi miniatures.  

Starfinder is beginning to get some traction, but has a long way to go. The newer Star Wars RPG is getting more popular, so hopefully between the two of them we can see some more additions.Also, Reaper needs to promote their existing creatures that could already be used in the sci-fi genre.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Brianuk said:

I don't think a space marine with a bolter and 50 skulls sits well with a 'grey' with a Ray gun. Or an ewok with a cyberpunk. 

They don't, and that's one of the problems with their Chronoscope line.   So many cool sculpts that only have one or two figures, which makes them hard to use anywhere outside of RPGs or just painting.   

A unit of IMEF going up against some 40k Space Marines doesn't look off. Blackstar Corsairs can easily proxy as a unit of 40k Terminators for those who are so inclined.  A unit of NOVA Corp troopers fits in pretty well in several games as well.  Even the Alien Greys could be used as a cohesive unit (complete with flying saucer) in several games. 

But what do you do with a single Sligg? Or Andromedon? Or Malvernis? 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Bane Of Humanity said:

I think the word you're looking for there isn't "good" so much as "popular" - which, there are a number of, but they are all very heavily themed. 

Star Trek and Star Wars are very popular - but also exceedingly heavily themed and particular in their style and look - a figure that looks right for Star Trek will probably not fit well in Star Wars, let alone anywhere else (maybe a sufficiently non-military but also non-nerf herder Traveller game?)

Similarly, the figures that work well in a Cyberpunk game won't work well as anything but mercenaries/ne'er do wells in Star Trek (but will be okay in Star Wars, actually) - and will be utterly wrong for a Buck Rogers or Flash Gordonesque game, or (worse) John Carter of Mars. 

This is one of the problems with the SciFi genre (as others have noted) - they are much more particular about look and feel than many fantasy games are. Sure, you have some genres (Legend of Seven Rings, etc.) that are heavily themed (and which other miniature forges already have pretty solid grasp on) - but in many cases, an elf is an elf is an elf, and the Elf with bow and short swords you used last year for your D&D game will also work next year for your One Ring game. 

But that miniature of a Starfleet security officer with phaser rifle does not work for your Night City Knights full-borg campaign. 

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

They don't, and that's one of the problems with their Chronoscope line.   So many cool sculpts that only have one or two figures, which makes them hard to use anywhere outside of RPGs or just painting.   

A unit of IMEF going up against some 40k Space Marines doesn't look off. Blackstar Corsairs can easily proxy as a unit of 40k Terminators for those who are so inclined.  A unit of NOVA Corp troopers fits in pretty well in several games as well.  Even the Alien Greys could be used as a cohesive unit (complete with flying saucer) in several games. 

But what do you do with a single Sligg? Or Andromedon? Or Malvernis? 

I agree, at least a few more poses/sculpts for those would be cool.

And a rigid bones weapon pack like mentioned for conversions.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Starfinder is beginning to get some traction, but has a long way to go. The newer Star Wars RPG is getting more popular, so hopefully between the two of them we can see some more additions.Also, Reaper needs to promote their existing creatures that could already be used in the sci-fi genre.

9 minutes ago, Smokestack said:

My group has enjoyed both Starwars and Starfinder.... but we are more of a fantasy group... Still some of the chrnoscope stuff has great crossover appeal even for fantasy.

Yea Im a big star wars fan but never could get into the game.
Starfinder I think mirrors Pathfinder too much.  Which is a large reason Im not really into it.   I wanted to be....

ive been trying to convince my group to do a round of the infinity RPG but no one likes sci fi lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

10 minutes ago, Bane Of Humanity said:

There are actually a ton of good sci-fi RPGs out there.    They've never been as popular as fantasy, though.  Not sure why that is, though - I played more Traveller in High School than I did D&D, but that was well before my mini days. 

The big problem with sci-fi is that unlike fantasy, it isn't generic - the most popular stuff is tied to big properties like 40k, Star Wars, Star Trek, etc. 

There are TONS of independent Sci-Fi mini skirmish games available out there that don't have their own lines of minis. What they need to thrive is generic enough mins that people can use. And there are some - NOVA Corp, IMEF are two, and then smaller companies like RBJ and their STAR and HEAT Troopers, for example.   Reaper is known for good generic minis with their DHL line, and I don't think there is any reason that they couldn't do the same with the Chronoscope line, if they'd only give it some more focus. 

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, Bane Of Humanity said:

Yea Im a big star wars fan but never could get into the game.
Starfinder I think mirrors Pathfinder too much.  Which is a large reason Im not really into it.   I wanted to be....

ive been trying to convince my group to do a round of the infinity RPG but no one likes sci fi lol

I think the reason Starwars worked for us, is our game was the edge of the empire stuff. We were low life grifters and bad people so it didnt feel like we were bogged down in Starwars. My character was an ex-gang member and sort of crazy... didnt feel like we were just walking in teh foot steps of the movie characters.

Starfinder though. I tried to enjoy it. I like Pathfinder. But i just couldnt get in to it. It didnt help that almost every monster in teh adventure path tried to inprgnate one of us with some parasite or mutant bebe...

• Haha 10

1 hour ago, ironregime said:

You know, if they offered a couple sprues of modern/sci-fi weapons, then I wouldn't mind all those fantasy figs littering the current KS so much, as I could simply mod them into sci-fi aliens and post-apocalypse mutants...

37 minutes ago, Bane Of Humanity said:

There is of course Spacemaster, which tends to be as rules heavy as Rolemaster. Traveller (most editions) was a very solid generic ruleset. GURPS does well, too, but can be equally rules heavy. The D20 system offers multiple sourcebboks across the range, but lets face it, RPGs BEGAN with a fantasy expansion to a historic minis ruleset, and Fantasy will pretty much always be the 800 pound gorilla of the RPG world. Not a complaint, just an observation. Reaper is, when all is said and done, a business and businesses need to sell what will bring profit. I am honestly grateful for what IS in Chronoscope, just wish there was more. 

TSR, WAAAYYY back in the day did Boot Hill (western), Gamma World (post apocalyptic), Metamorphasis Alpha (VERY unique premise), and Star Frontiers (Space Opera). All of these were pretty setting intensive.

There were even rules in the back of the 1st edition DMG for converting between the mechanics of the various systems,

Edited by Skallabjorn
  • Like 5

Just going to say the bones mini I have bought the most copies of is "xair bot small" 4 copies, plus 3 metals from before bones 4, with maria, the nova corps, and black star corsairs following close on their heels...

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

Just going to say the bones mini I have bought the most copies of is "xair bot small" 4 copies, plus 3 metals from before bones 4, with maria, the nova corps, and black star corsairs following close on their heels...

Not to mention the metal IMEF Bulldog. Chronoscope was the only one of the 6 Bones 4 expansions I doubled up on. But my tastes are not everyone's.

Edited by Skallabjorn
  • Like 4

I'm going to say something both obvious and horrible.

Sci Fi doesn't always age well.

[ducks] Wait, hear me out.

Sci Fi is supposed to be the future. But that future is always going to be extrapolated upon by a writer or a cadre of writers who are all confined to their own experiences and imaginations. As technology IRL marches right past what a writer 20 years ago said would take centuries to develop, Sci Fi settings that never grew their pop culture relevance now never will. They kind of aged out of their own relevance. So new settings are written by new cadres of writers, settings that compete with the older ones for relevancy and readership and they themselves age out and the cycle begins again.

It's exceedingly difficult to make something as predictive as Sci Fi needs to be because technology will simply march past your benchmarks and leave your story forced to stand on its own merits against the weight of failed predictions.

Sci Fi games have the same drawback. The big names, Star Trek, Star Wars, 40k, [insert your favorite setting here], they all grew their pop culture relevance before their technology aged out and they lost their realism, instead falling to ridiculousness. Star Trek's Data has the computational speed of 4 PS4s strung together. Star Wars holograms look like something you could build in your garage. 40k is in technological decline and that was never the focus anyway. 2001 came and went without one single manned mission to Jupiter. And where's Skynet?

The worst part is, this is all stuff every Sci Fi fan knows. We all know it deep down and it hurts. But it makes us think we can be better. It makes us think we can be the writer or the cadre of writers who can maintain relevancy for more than half a generation.

But it's elfing [redacted] on the mini business.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Chris Palmer said:

Hopefully it will be made in clear translucent Bones material so we don't have to paint the windows... 

...And come with a dino chauffeur.

...I'd also settle for green translucent so we can use it as a Scooby Doo ghost vehicle...   

... but we'll need an old caretaker in a dino mask...

:lol:

(Sorry just a little punchy this Friday)

Sounds good to me.

Definitely wishing for more SciFi. And I'd be totally thrilled if it were 3 or 4 encounter sets instead of a $50 expansion.

Hirst Arts are great!! I miss casting them. Getting multiples of some core molds can be helpful, but not necessary.

• Like 11

8 minutes ago, NebulousMissy said:

The worst part is, this is all stuff every Sci Fi fan knows. We all know it deep down and it hurts. But it makes us think we can be better. It makes us think we can be the writer or the cadre of writers who can maintain relevancy for more than half a generation.

But it's elfing [redacted] on the mini business.

You're not wrong.

But miniatures can sit outside this. A tentacled alien holding a gun can be generic enough that it's useful in today's popular games, and in different popular games 20 years from now.

Especially the anthromorphic ones - a lot of sci fi properties across the years have Lizardmen, catfolk, dogfolk, etc.

• Like 8

If there were 3-4 Sci Fi encounters I'd probably pick up most of them.

If there were a Sci Fi Chronoscope expansion I'd pass on it. Again. Especially if dinosaurs are involved. [rumble rumble] aGaIN [rumbles subside]

• Like 5
  • Haha 2