ladystorm

Reaper Bones 5 : Enthusiasm and Commentary Thread

i just remembered; i need a massive 2 headed dragon to modify/resculpt into 'Mordukhavar the Reaver' for the current campaign.  i kinda wish i kept maaldrakkar. could have used that as a base for it...

maybe i'll get super lucky and a massive 2 headed dragon will be part of this :P

Sanjay

• Like 2

I think most of the Trolls have been similar to the old Orc and Goblin Army size of troll. 

50-60 mm tall (?) might look OK on a 40 or 50 mm base.

Thats my impression anyway but I haven’t looked closely. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Inarah said:

We dropped a lot of money in the years when they first came out.  I have the gothic, fieldstone, cavern, and egyptian already and can put on quite a spread when given motivation.   I did an egyptian temple complex terrain set for my Nefsokar army back when Warlord was still a thing.  

The learning curve can be steep, and it's messy, but yeah once you get the hang of it the process can go relatively quickly.  I was doing 2-3 pours a day of multiple molds and building on weekends. 

Best I've done is 3 cups of plaster filling 8 molds. 13 times in one day.

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Hirst Arts are great!! I miss casting them. Getting multiples of some core molds can be helpful, but not necessary.

I was doing terrain for a friend to use at tournaments and I ended up getting double molds for the core stuff I was working on in order to cast pieces fast enough to be useful.  Ultimately felt it's too heavy and fragile (even with the dental stone) for travelling with.  That and it really takes thick superglue, or something like it to get it to stay together.  Used a lot of the Eileen's that he recommends, but I'd still have stuff coming apart.  :down:

Wife went out of town for a weekend and I took over the kitchen to cast for a whole weekend.  Made a LOT of pieces in three days!

24838915879_cd85eb4ce2_b.jpgFactory_01 by Mckenna35, on Flickr

Edited by Mckenna35
  • Like 10

3 minutes ago, Mckenna35 said:

I was doing terrain for a friend to use at tournaments and I ended up getting double molds for the core stuff I was working on in order to cast pieces fast enough to be useful.  Ultimately felt it's too heavy and fragile (even with the dental stone) for travelling with.  That and it really takes thick superglue, or something like it to get it to stay together.  Used a lot of the Eileen's that he recommends, but I'd still have stuff coming apart.  :down:

I always used wood glue. Never had A problem with it coming apart. A few things broke, but that wasn't from just general handling.

Definitely need more SciFi dinos though... Maybe pick one type, and give a bunch of sculpts?

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Crowley said:

I always used wood glue. Never had A problem with it coming apart. A few things broke, but that wasn't from just general handling.

Same here, although my 2y/o has managed to destroy a few pieces.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

A tentacled alien holding a gun can be generic enough that it's useful in today's popular games, and in different popular games 20 years from now.

Oh sure... Well at least until our tentacled overlords finally arrive and we find out we’ve been giving them the wrong number of tentacles on their minis all these years.

• Like 2
  • Haha 17

13 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Definitely need more SciFi dinos though... Maybe pick one type, and give a bunch of sculpts?

I'm not a huge fan of the SciFi dinos, but I would probably pick up enough for a small skirmish unit if they were all of one type - regardless of which one was chosen.   

I'm building a regular minis gaming group again, and I'm the only one with minis at this point. Not everyone in the group has the same tastes as me - but I do know that when they pick minis to play with, they always go for the ones that look more like cohesive units, such as my NOVA Corp. 

9 minutes ago, Darsc Zacal said:

Oh sure... Well at least until our tentacled overlords finally arrive and we find out we’ve been giving them the wrong number of tentacles on their minis all these years.

I'm willing to take that chance if it means more variety of sci-fi skirmish units that aren't tied to a major property. 

I was thinking about it some more, and to a lesser extent, Reaper has done the same thing with their fantasy catalog and Bones. A lot of the horde monsters such as Goblins, Kobolds and Orcs are available in lots of variety in Bones, but not so much with the "PC classes". For example, the Anhurians - there are several variant sculpts for the Anhurians that are still metal only. Likewise with a lot of the Warlord unit sculpts that are in Bones.  

They are, at least starting to recognize this - the Elven Rangers set from the B5 Core is something I've been very excited about, and now that I think about it, maybe that gave me false hopes that Reaper would recognize the need to do the same thing with some Chronoscope sculpts. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Bane Of Humanity said:

I think if you could actually get a good scifi tabletop RPG.  You might get more scifi miniatures.  
Sadly there just isn't anything on par with D&D and Pathfinder.

I think they are trying to fix that with Starfinder.

Call of Cthulhu has a huge following, it got a very popular expansion last time.  They could sell more if they tried.

Star wars is another rpg I see a lot of at cons, why there aren't more generic minis for that I didn't know. And don't say "copy right", because Reaper has no issues making look alikes that work for D&D without a license.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, ironregime said:

My observations have been that fantasy roleplayers are the dominant audience in Reaper's kickstarters, by a wide margin, followed in distant second by non-gamers (collectors, painters). Wargamers and non-fantasy roleplayers appear to be a tiny fraction.

I'm not entirely certain about the wargamers. It may be that most of what you see are crossover rpg-wargamers, because there are plenty of those (it's very easy to go from wargames to rpgs, it's the mindset of painting lots and lots of troops that is harder to grasp for most rpg'ers). But anecdotally, I see lots of Bones in the Kings of War groups I'm in. Like, an awful lot. If it isn't Mantic, it's usually GW or Reaper. Now, once again, I don't know for certain that these aren't one off purchases, but I'm betting quite a few aren't. The Bones Kickstarters always get attention in my KoW groups.

Edited by pinkymadigan
  • Like 8

My REALLY RIDICULOUS, secret dream I hold close to my flinty dwarven heart for a Reaper Bones KS? Squat equivalents sculpted by Bob Olley. I would have a massive geekgasm at that point.

• Like 5
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 2

I was just looking at the Reapr site, Nova Corps has 3 packs of general purpose soldiers. Maybe we can get Reaper to start offering IMEF, Rach and Malvernis the same way and even a "Squad" pack of maybe 8-10 minis.

Oh, and we definitely need some redshirts!

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, pinkymadigan said:

I'm not entirely certain about the wargamers. It may be that most of what you see are crossover rpg-wargamers, because there are plenty of those (it's very easy to go from wargames to rpgs, it's the mindset of painting lots and lots of troops that is harder to grasp for most rpg'ers). But anecdotally, I see lots of Bones in the Kings of War groups I'm in. Like, an awful lot. If it isn't Mantic, it's usually GW or Reaper. Now, once again, I don't know for certain that these aren't one off purchases, but I'm betting quite a few aren't. The Bones Kickstarters always get attention in my KoW groups.

I have definitely repurposed a few Bones for KoW.

As a cross-over gamer myself, I would very much love it if Reaper put out variant sculpts for more of their assorted troop/race types, but I suspect that there is a rapid point of diminishing returns once the pure RPG-players and the hobby painters are satisfied. You (usually) really only want 5 or more different poses if you're trying to build whole units.

• Like 8

19 minutes ago, Inarah said:

Call of Cthulhu has a huge following, it got a very popular expansion last time.  They could sell more if they tried.

Call of Cthulhu is NOT my thing, but I think that expansion was very well done. 

There are enough popular sci-fi tropes out there that could be compiled into a themed sci-fi expansion like that - take the tramp starship crew idea, for example. Dark Matter, The Expanse, Firefly - heck, even the Millennium Falcon to some extent.  Have a set that is a crew, some equipment from their starship, some law enforcement/authority like figures, some aliens and a small group of adversaries.  Probably wouldn't be as popular as the CoC expansion, but I bet it would do better than the B4 Chronoscope Expansion. 

Or just down size that idea to encounters. 

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Corsair said:

I was just looking at the Reapr site, Nova Corps has 3 packs of general purpose soldiers. Maybe we can get Reaper to start offering IMEF, Rach and Malvernis the same way and even a "Squad" pack of maybe 8-10 minis.

Oh, and we definitely need some redshirts!

Closest I have seen to that in Bones as yet is the 6.99 3 packs of some of the fantasy (still a heck of a value, IMO). 2.33$ a mini. You can't beat that without dropping scale to 1/72 or lower.

The other way to get good variety at low cost, both to manufacturer and consumer, is to go multipart. With Bones Black, this may be an option.

Edited by Skallabjorn
  • Like 5