ladystorm

Reaper Bones 5 : Enthusiasm and Commentary Thread

4 minutes ago, klarg1 said:

If you need a 4-6" square base, you might want to consider picking up a cheap bathroom or kitchen tile from your local home improvement store. I have used them for palettes in the past, and they rarely cost more than $0.50 at that kind of size. (unless you go for a fancy, specialty tile)

Thanks .I have lots of medium and large (2 inch bases), 2 original of the largest rectangle gw monster bases and as mentioned , I made a mold of it so I can make more. Already have 6-7 premade. 

What I need are much larger bases.  Normally I end up using plasticard or combine gw bases together

And for colossal stuff, acryllic board.

Right now trying to figure out how to make a base around 9 x 36 inches. And how to get a wood or mdf custom cut recessed showcase base to fit the 9 x 36 one

Sanjay 

• Like 4

Number Based on 0800-0900 Reaper time today:     
Current Total Pledges:     $2,084,801
Current Total Backers:     15,235
Next Goal At    $2,090,000
To go to Next Goal    $5,199
Hours to next goal based on gains this hour:     4.6
Hours to next goal based on 24h Avg:     4.5

Gain in last Hour:     $1,134
New Backers This Hour:     6
Total Gain Today:     $5,962
Total Gain 24 Hours:     $27,865
Average Hourly Pledges Today:     $596
Average Hourly Pledges 24 Hours:     $1,161
Current Average Pledge:     $136.84
Average Hourly Backers Today:     2.6
Average Hourly Backers 24 Hours:     4.4
Previous Hour Total Pledges:     $2,083,667
Previous Hour Total Backers:     15,229
Backers to beat Bones 1    2,447
Days to hit Bones 1 based on 24 hour average    23.1
Backers to beat Bones 2    -272
Backers to beat Bones 3    -1770
Backers to beat Bones 4    963
Days to hit Bones 4 based on 24 hour average    9.1

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Custom spider bases: Guys there’s always Litko. (Can’t link to them ...commerce rule.)  But if we work up an order now they’ll have it done long before the spiders ship from China...

@TaleSpinner are you allowed to give spider’s exact ground foot print?

@ksbsnowowl for gridded map rpg purposes is everything always, always on circles?  Does anything ever get assigned a square with rounded off corners? Are rectangles, like a 6x5, ever allowed? 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, StarFyre said:

Right now trying to figure out how to make a base around 9 x 36 inches. And how to get a wood or mdf custom cut recessed showcase base to fit the 9 x 36 one

Sanjay 

Hummmm don't know if it helps, but around here I have a shop that sells suplies for party dressing... Well I don't know the english term, big fancy (or tacky) banners, ballons, mantlepieces, the kind of thing you found litering weddings and such, they usually carry MDF cut in sizes from 2"-32" since the things are disposable the prices are good, I picked up enough to build myself a pair of buildings for maybe 10 bucks a wile back

Edited by OddMoominOut
Typo
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, StarFyre said:

https://www.wargamestournaments.com/product/round-bases/  they cut bases and have even larger than 150.

GW has 160 but gw is very overpriced.  i like their bases though.  i use rectangular bases (so squares, etc) so i made a rubber mold of their largest rectangular bases and pour resin to make my own.  

Woodworks, Ltd. has large circular wood disks, including 6" and 6½" disks 1/8" thick. (Smaller sizes as well, of course.) I've found them to work great for bases.

• Like 7

I've finally had a chance to sit down and have a good look through the contents of Bones 5. I have to say that I think the content is the best yet. Bones 2-4 were good but a little underwhelming after Bones 1, but this time around I think it's fantastic.

• Like 16
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, TGP said:

@ksbsnowowl for gridded map rpg purposes is everything always, always on circles?  Does anything ever get assigned a square with rounded off corners? Are rectangles, like a 6x5, ever allowed? 

So most all of my RPG mini's are either the old D&D Miniatures line from Hasbro (2003-2010) or the new WizKids offerings from Icons of the Realms and Pathfinder Battles.  Every single one of those minis is on a round base (some of the early Large mini's, until ~2005, were on 40 mm bases), with the notable exception of the old DDM iconics dragons (I forget what they called them).  The Gargantuan White Dragon, Black Dragon, and Blue Dragon, and the Colossal Red dragon (which they actually made on the wrong-size 8" base... It should be 6" to properly fit the game rules of the time).

So I could do squares, but I don't really have a desire to do so.

8 hours ago, TGP said:

574a96c6-c3c4-44ee-854c-17f9af974f0c_1.9

Funny places hardware stores...they sell large figure bases...but they label them “wall protectors” :upside:  (I have no idea how well they’ll stand up to collisions with doorknobs swung in anger but they’re a good quality base.)

Thanks for that idea, TGP.  I would never have thought to look there, but you are right, that might just work perfectly.

In the same vein, it's really odd that most grocery stores sell dice bags.  They're REALLY expensive, but they do come with a free bottle of Canadian whiskey...

I did know of Litko, and similar acrylic disc manufacturers.  I was just looking at some on eBay last night.  But it will a long while before I'll actually need this base... I think I can wait to order them until 2021.

• Like 5
  • Haha 15

2 hours ago, StarFyre said:

Thanks .I have lots of medium and large (2 inch bases), 2 original of the largest rectangle gw monster bases and as mentioned , I made a mold of it so I can make more. Already have 6-7 premade. 

What I need are much larger bases.  Normally I end up using plasticard or combine gw bases together

And for colossal stuff, acryllic board.

Sanjay 

Back when, we used sections of thin plywood or cut vinyl tile (which can have the advantage of being self adhesive, if you get place and press). Now, if I wanted something of that sort, I would purchase a unfinished wood plaque from a craft store, or a section of raw wood and rout the edges with my Dremel or a palm sized router. Takes a little practice, but nice results.You can also get thin sheets or shapes of PVC at most craft or model railroad stores/suppliers. Not really a question of CAN it be done now, just a question of HOW you want to do it and YOUR skill/craftsmanship level. I have even used transparent glass tiles for basing material (1"x1"x1/2"). For me, preformed plastic bases are a convenience, not a necessity.

Note: if you choose to use glass or smooth ceramic tiles, the best adhesives I have found are the Lok-tite and Gorilla brand 2 part epoxies.

For a recessed base, I would probably just pin a lip onto an existing base. Easier to build up than cut down, IMO.

Edited by Skallabjorn
  • Like 5

$1159 to go.

In history: Tunis is reconquered from the Normans, by the Almohad caliphs.

$541. Wow that went quick

In history: Emperor Justinian I recalls Belisarius from Italy to handle the situation in Armenia. He arrives in Upper Mesopotamia and attacks the fortress city of Nisbis. After an unsuccessful siege he ravages the countryside.

As a side note, one of the books in David Drake's "Belisarius Saga" is available as a free download in Baen's free library on their website. There are lots of others there as well, really good reads from top SF/Fantasy authors. Helps pass the time while waiting for an unlock.::D:

Edited by Skallabjorn
  • Like 11

Nice looking as a diorama; I’m not sure about the gate piece as a tabletop item with more walls to go with it.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Chris Palmer said:

Ding! We have a goal!

Next up:

FC08D035-7AC7-4576-8F8F-05A8C807C2EB.jpeg

HMMM. Wonder if that will fit the front of my old GW foam "Mighty Fortress" without modding? Oh well. Here goes another $18. Pledge <bump>.

• Like 12

It's really cool. 

Not for me unless they include later on some more fortress items. Maybe an entire keep is too much but at least some walls, a tower or two... 

Before they announced the ship I was convinced - with that many siege weapons - this KS "big thing" would be a castle. 

• Like 8

Just now, Rob Dean said:

Nice looking as a diorama; I’m not sure about the gate piece as a tabletop item with more walls to go with it.

Yeah I agree.

• Like 4

Ooh, we got another Reaper play set with action figures. ::):

I genuinely don't remember ever seeing pre-made drawbridge terrain.

P.S. Re-reading my post, it sounds much more cynical and sarcastic than it should.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 9
  • Haha 6