ladystorm

Reaper Bones 5 : Enthusiasm and Commentary Thread

4 minutes ago, NyarlaBcn said:

It's really cool. 

Not for me unless they include later on some more fortress items. Maybe an entire keep is too much but at least some walls, a tower or two... 

Before they announced the ship I was convinced - with that many siege weapons - this KS "big thing" would be a castle. 

4 minutes ago, Pineapple said:

Yeah I agree.

Walls are easy, towers a little more tricky. Gates? Gates are hard to get right, IMO. The plaster molds recommended by earlier posters can get you as much wall as you will ever need, without the tech skills necessary for 3D print.

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, Skallabjorn said:

Walls are easy, towers a little more tricky. Gates? Gates are hard to get right, IMO. The plaster molds recommended by earlier posters can get you as much wall as you will ever need, without the tech skills necessary for 3D print.

There is that... so I just noticed that the rest of the wall is implied by the fact that the upper half of the portcullis is not modeled.

• Like 4

I could totally see using this in my D&D game.  Wish the damn thing were here next month, as the next module in the series I'm running will take my group to a haunted castle.  This piece would be perfect for the front gate (and the module is set up to have an hefty encounter with skeletal undead at the front gate).

My first toe-dip into the miniature painting realm was pieces of terrain (barrels, crates, tree stumps to stand in for trees), and one of the recent D&D pre-painted sets had an Animated Door (I guess to represent an animated object?)  It isn't a popular mini, so comes under $2 each.  I bought a bunch of them, and have ripped most of them off their bases, which allows me to just stand them freely on the battle mat to represent doors in a dungeon.

I would do the same thing with this encounter set.

• Like 9

So another thing I have no interest in.  Cool for those who like it though.  Hopefully a full castle to go with it occurs in a future goal or ks :)

i wonder if this will draw enough interest to reach next goal faster.  

sanjay

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Rob Dean said:

There is that... so I just noticed that the rest of the wall is implied by the fact that the upper half of the portcullis is not modeled.

On the other hand, two points:

1) We don't know what else Reaper may be offering in this KS. For example, the ruined tower from "Dragons Don't Share is part of a Bones Kickstarter model, as well as the wall and door section in Bones 4 "Fantasy Scenics", and the "Mystic Circle" from Bones 3.

2) There will come a point with the plaster molds where the cost of the molds equals or exceeds the cost of a decent 3D printer. Given the increasing support for home additive manufacturing, and the decreasing cost of the printers, I would anticipate that point being reached in the next 5-10 years. This will relegate home casting to an enthusiast hobby, IMO.

• Like 11

42 minutes ago, NyarlaBcn said:

It's really cool. 

Not for me unless they include later on some more fortress items. Maybe an entire keep is too much but at least some walls, a tower or two... 

Before they announced the ship I was convinced - with that many siege weapons - this KS "big thing" would be a castle. 

I'm okay with this - plus the various bits from DDS2, etc. - being an encounter on its own. It is definitely working as the only standing ruins of a castle, and the skelebros riding out in search of foes to slay - out of a castle that basically no longer exists, over a drawbridge that seems to lead to nowhere

... and if you follow them back in over that haunted drawbridge, and into that castle, well... 

(I mean, two weeks into KS5, between the core, Dungeon Dwellers, and the three encounters revealed so far, plus some incidental terrain from previous KS - Dragons Don't Share being the most useful for surface stuff - and a normal wet-erase map from Chessex or something, you've got an entire D&D campaign - not just dungeon, a whole-hearted campaign from zero-to-hero, if not up into Epic territory - and it's about US $250 or so). 

• Like 12

43 minutes ago, Skallabjorn said:

Let me explain what I mean.

As a stand alone piece, they sort of had to add semi-ruined walls on the flanks to add some visual interest. On the other hand, those same spots make it difficult to integrate into another set of walls. What good is an armored gate if your walls are already falling down? As part of a larger castle it would've been better modeled with edges that can stand flush against other walls.

I think it's a cool piece, I just think it's hard for it to serve both aims well. At $18 it's an easy pass for me even though I think it's nicely sculpted.

• Like 6

I think it's a cool piece.

Already it gives me diorama ideas involving a moat.

Add a tower and a small wall section and I will take it all

• Like 7

Yea that doesnt excite me.  Dwarven Forge did it better...Sorry reaper...
I mean it looks cool and the minis are awesome but the terrain piece is definitely a miss for me.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Since it's in bonesium it'll be easy enough to cut the walls flush to put into a gatehouse (which is what I'll do with one). But as Izzylobo said it works nicely on it's own as part of a ruins set ( which is what the other one is for). Ican also imagine it being a portal which a skeletal army is emerging from. And now we must have more skeletal cavalry.

• Like 10

21 hours ago, Chris Palmer said:

New official photo of the Treasure Golem:

Interesting that they're anticipating that many backers!

Also, just noticed we are less than $20,000 to the next goal now...

3bee98a6c246343f97fb4d1c339cff7b_original.jpg

I could have used that a few months ago!

But I'm pretty happy with my homemade version, so all is good. ::):

• Like 6